• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

So did 92.9 go back to all-Christmas in Feb?

And the Hot 106.7 supremacy over The River didn't last very long.

Good question. Why did AC station WJXA shoot up so high in February? It got virtually the same ratings as in the Holiday ratings period, nearly 1 1/2 times the #2 station, Jack-FM WCJK. Both stations are owned by Midwest Communications.

WJXA may be the station with the best ratings in the Top 50 markets!

I just saw that and thought the same thing. Makes no sense! Noticed they played “Hungry Like the Wolf” …maybe they are slipping in more “hard” oldies that softened up a little over time. I love when a AC goes a little harder. They must be doing something right.

AC stations were up mostly across the board in the February monthlies. A couple others like WRCH Hartford had significant jumps like WJXA.

WJXA may be the station with the best ratings in the Top 50 markets!
Indeed they were.

This one will be “one for the books.” I think it has to be an error. Where did those numbers come from?

Last edited:
This one will be “own for the books.” I think it has to be an error. Where did those numbers come from?
The PPMs. A flawed system, but advertisers accept the results as gospel, so glitches really don't matter. They're not buying based on one book anyway, so even if last month's numbers were out of touch with reality, for whatever reason, chances are the numbers the rest of the year will provide a more consistent, believable reading.

There are some legal challenges to the way PPM and numbers are done and their effect/affect on all involved. They are not making great progress or waves, due to the corporate levels of radio and ratings companies.

This may be a fluke, but my guess is it will be straightened out. We’ve all seen an occasional spike or gift to a station, but I think this is just too much. My guess is we will see a correction.

If something out of the ordinary like that happens, I think the ratings companies take a hard look to see if any shenanigans are going on. I come from the radio era of where people had to chisel in stone what stations they listened to and sent the results in by pony express. I don't know enough about PPMs to know that if it's possible for someone to just leave it at home tuned into their favorite station so their ratings might spike. I assume that if there's no movement or activity shown by the PPM that it shuts off after a while or if it lets the company know "Hey, this person cheating!" I guess if they're smart enough they could tape it to a moving hamster wheel and have a programmable radio to switch between stations every 15-20 minutes.

Ratings from the most recent release have it up 14.3 to 14.7. If it's a fluke, it's one big fluke.

Gotta admit. Ain’t never seen nothing like this. Still interesting to see the CUME and real numbers and try to figure out how the market bumped up this many “listeners.” And meters. Congrats to Barbara and her team. Well done. And Jack, as well.

I think it's impressive Mix and Jack have almost a quarter of the listeners in the market. I also cant help but notice that Nashville Public Radio has lost half of its audience in a year. And WNXP hasn't shown any growth after 2 1/2 years.

Jim - Like you, I have been around long enough to just scratch my head on what is happening with these numbers. No matter how I have sliced and diced everything (non 12+ ratings that can’t be published) I cannot see how you can create a swing this large without seeing an equal shift and decline elsewhere. The two stations you mention have shifted away from their target audience and obviously tried to reach a younger audience. 91.1 in particular. It’s a failure. 90.3 has just tired out for a while. Still you don’t get the numbers that the top 5 12 plus stations got and the other stations drop a small amount to offset the shift. Maybe all the growth here as we approach 2 M (not reflected that we should be market 36 yet) comes completely with a move-in welcome meter.

If anyone mentioned this, i missed it. 92.9's rating not only topped Nashville, but is #1 in the country. (Next local station Jack at #17.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom