• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Sirius XM loses over a quarter-million subscribers in Q1 of 2024

You can go to two restaurants. One of them caters to the general public. They do research to figure out what your "demographic" likes. When you go, you sit down and they serve you. You don't get to pick what they serve you. They just serve whatever is popular.

That sounds like most fast food places I know. Try asking McDonalds for sushi. They seem to do OK.

I’ve heard that the newer SiriusXM receivers sound better as they are using an updated codec. Does SXM have duplicate feeds with different encoding? Haven’t been able to find definitive info on that at a quick search.

I do recall reading maybe three of four years ago that older car SXM receivers, such as those only branded as Sirius, would stop working in 2027 as SXM drops transmission of the older codecs to increase available bandwidth for a unified standard.
I can confirm audio quality is noticeably better in my current car than my prior one.

That sounds like most fast food places I know. Try asking McDonalds for sushi. They seem to do OK.
Nope... I'm not saying you get to order from a limited menu. I'm saying you eat whatever they serve you. You have no choice. If you don't like exactly what they put on your plate, you can walk down the dial (street) to the next place.

You also don't know what they are going to put on your plate (though you may have some idea) until you walk (tune) in.

Are you going to even bother walking in if there's a place that caters to your tastes on a personalized level right down the street?

Are you going to even bother walking in if there's a place that caters to your tastes on a personalized level right down the street?

A lot of people do. On average about 92% of the public.

Keep in mind by focusing on formats, they already give you choices. You don't like one format, change the station.

That 92% is in reference to...?

The new app rollout was a trainwreck, and that without question ticked off a material chunk of SXM's incumbent subscriber base.
It may be a small percentage, but not everyone was as unhappy with the new app as some. It took me about thirty seconds to figure out where my favorites went, then it was all good. What's great with the new app, is now I can now use Siri to start the SXM app, and fire up whatever favorite is hands-free. That's an especially nice feature when doing 70 mph NB I-95 riding my motorcycle.
Tens of thousands of subscribers (if not 100k+) were also peeved when Deep Cuts was demoted to the 300s.
I doubt that many, nor do I believe it was a major factor in loss of subscribers.

I was led to believe the app sounds better since it bypasses the satellite.

That's the difference between curated content and on-demand. Sirius is curated, and they pick the songs, similar to OTA radio. There is no way to give users control over curated content. You either take what they give, or you go to on-demand streaming.
'But if only they rotated every song ever recorded from January 1, 1960 to December 31, 1969". uhhhh no.

A lot of people do. On average about 92% of the public.

Keep in mind by focusing on formats, they already give you choices. You don't like one format, change the station.
Not everyone wants to add becoming their own Program Director to everything else they do. My wife likes SiriusXM in her car because it acts like a RADIO. Yes, sometimes she gets bored with the channels on the buttons. What she would NOT have any interest in is fumbling with her phone while driving to find playlists.

I know something like this gets the hackles up of certain RD participants here, but when has that ever stopped me?
Had the chance to spend about an hour listening to the local Black Information Network (BIN) on a local AM station. It's actually, pretty well done, and the spots being aired? All big national brands: Sony, Progressive Insurance, GEICO, Walgreens, Toyota/Lexus, etc. Nothing local, but who cares? Doing niche news formats like this to bring in national ad buys while better-utilizing derelict AM stations isn't a bad idea after all.

^^^
"No one thinks there is any economic sense in launching new satellites"...

Same problem for SiriusXM (long term)?

Amazon still sells blank compact cassettes and mono cassette recorders, I would just copy my 8-tracks and vinyl to cassettes and take them along in vehicles in a "music briefcase" and not bother with satellite radio.

Kirk Bayne

^^^
"No one thinks there is any economic sense in launching new satellites"...
The new satellites being launched are military, weather and Starlink as part of their internet services. Launching new or replacement satellites for TV or radio in the age of streaming is a ton of money for little or no gain.
In fact, Echostar/Dish announced publicly that it doubts it can remain 'a going concern':

Same problem for SiriusXM (long term)?
SXM recently (as in the past five years) conducted a scheduled replacement of their geosynchronous and geostationary birds. It's already assumed this will likely be the final refresh of satellites.
Amazon still sells blank compact cassettes and mono cassette recorders, I would just copy my 8-tracks and vinyl to cassettes and take them along in vehicles in a "music briefcase"
Good Lord...

SiriusXM already has advertising on its non-music channels. Are you suggesting ads for its music channels?

It was mentioned by management on the earnings call.

Some subscribers would hear ads; others (paying a higher price) would not.

SiriusXM is making a good profit without doing that. The trouble, as always, is that a steady state of profitability is never good enough for the Wall Street shareholders who demand endless growth, turning the slightest slowdown into a full-blown crisis.

Adding ads to a paid service that is successful due to being ad-free sounds like an panicked act of desperation.

Now, if they want to offer a free tier with ads, while leaving the paid tiers alone, then that might get them some audience growth. But if they're really planning ads for the music channels, I fully expect to see corporate greed win out with SXM hatching a failed double-dipping scheme to foist ads onto paying customers that would be destined to blow up in their face.

No, cutting the subscription price to make it competitive with other streaming options.

If the quality of the current content is worth it, people wouldn't be canceling.
They likely can't cut the subscription cost across the board to be more competitive because of the cost of those damn satellites. Hosting a bunch of streaming encoders located on terra firma is cheap as compared with the purchase, launch, insurance, licensing and maintenance costs of several devices floating in orbit.

Adding ads to a paid service that is successful due to being ad-free sounds like an panicked act of desperation.
You mean like Amazon Prime Video? Seems to have worked well for them.
Now, if they want to offer a free tier with ads, while leaving the paid tiers alone, then that might get them some audience growth. But if they're really planning ads for the music channels, I fully expect to see corporate greed win out with SXM hatching a failed double-dipping scheme to foist ads onto paying customers that would be destined to blow up in their face.
So, you think that SXM trying something different after losing a batch of subscribers is considered greed? Lord I hope you aren't trying to run a business.

"In a given month."
I'm sorry, but that's not particularly impressive. It also doesn't mean they are spending much time listening when they are reached once a month, either.
If the average person went to restaurant 1 once a month... that's great, but when the full picture is that they're eating the rest of their meals at the other restaurant...

Not to mention... much of that listening happens in the car. Why? Because that's the entertainment form that many cars still have. That second restaurant option is only now making its way into more and more cars. Most drivers have been beholden to option one for a very, very long time unless they wanted to purchase and program their own music on 8-track, cassette, or CD. But that limitation no longer exists... Radio (and XM) no longer has the easy dash monopoly.

Not everyone wants to add becoming their own Program Director to everything else they do. My wife likes SiriusXM in her car because it acts like a RADIO. Yes, sometimes she gets bored with the channels on the buttons. What she would NOT have any interest in is fumbling with her phone while driving to find playlists.
Your wife doesn't have to become a "program director." I can open Apple Music on my phone and just hit play on the playlist it already puts together for me based on other things I listen to on the app. Personalized just for me! She could do the same with any of the major streaming providers. As far as "fumbling with her phone," most cars with phone connectivity are as easy to switch playlists with as they are to switch radio stations - many easier to switch playlists than to switch to a radio station that is not already saved as a preset.

I'm 22. It is exceedingly rare that I get into a car driven by someone my age and hear radio - satellite or terrestrial. It's almost exclusively some form of CarPlay. Heck, when I mention to my friends that I'm on the radio Friday afternoons, the most common response is I'd listen, but I don't know how to turn on my car's radio.

I think this is the issue Sirius is going to have long-term. The difference between them and terrestrial radio is that when people tune in once a month to Sirius, they cancel their subscription. It doesn't cost a listener anything to tune into terrestrial radio once a month.

"In a given month."
I'm sorry, but that's not particularly impressive. It also doesn't mean they are spending much time listening when they are reached once a month, either.

There's a lot more data when you dig a little deeper. There are 16,000 radio stations and you can't paint them all with the same brush. The point is people are listening, and we can prove they're listening, which is very different from what you said earlier.

It is exceedingly rare that I get into a car driven by someone my age and hear radio - satellite or terrestrial. It's almost exclusively some form of CarPlay.

I've shown you scientifically accepted numbers, broken down by age. Your own experience may differ. But it doesn't change the facts. There are people your own age who have very different experiences.

A few thoughts:

1. I originally subscribed to SXM partly to get music without DJs. One of my favorite channels in Prime Country and, to their credit, I'm hearing a deeper playlist lately. But the DJs? Mike Terry is pleasant and fairly unobtrusive, Caylee Hammack is barely tolerable, but T. Graham Brown is a complete turnoff. His delivery is WAY over-the-top and his selection of hard-rock songs that he calls "Country" is ridiculous. Get rid of him!

2. I remember thinking when the satellite services launched that they should have set the subscription price at a point that would get people hooked and not really question the cost of their subscription, say $9.99/mo. Satellite delivery isn't like streaming where each streamer adds to the bandwidth usage. Instead they priced it at over $20/mo, but they cut that price in half for people who threatened to cancel. A friend of mine who actually cancelled was just offered $4/mo plus a $25 gift card to come back! A price model ranging from $4/mo to $20+/mo is not sustainable, IMO.

3. Lately I'm noticing more and more dropouts, many on major roads. They're all in the same spots and never seem to resolve.

Back
Top Bottom