• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Sirius Antenna is a piece of Garbage

Could they make the small antenna any more fragile? My friends indoor antenna wire got caught in the Window and became useless. The unit would not even recognize that an antenna was connected. So instead of spending the ridiculous amount of $40 on a new antenna I just bought a "Sirius One" unit for $20 Bucks from Circuit City and swapped the new antenna with the broken one. Then I brought the package back to the store for a refund. So I got a new antenna for him for free. There is no way in hell I was about to be ripped off by having to pay for that cheap ass antenna. A thicker more durable antenna wire is needed. Beiseds that............ Why are they charging $40 Dollars for an antenna that is probably worth about $6 Bucks! It's the biggest scam going.

For what it's worth, the antennas are meant to be installed once, either in a car or at home and left there. I agree with you though about the thin wire and wish they would make it stronger. I've got two antennas for my plug and play. One is installed in my car. The other one I use for at home or at work and I have cut that ones wire twice now. But I have been able to repair it without any noticeable signal loss.

This is yet another reason terrestrial radio shouldn't get too upset about Sat radio. You can't pick it up. Where I live, and the amount of trees I have in my yard, can't get Sirius in the house period. Got to log on the computer to get it but they've even screwed that up. Can't leave the stream on like regular radio because it keeps randomly disconnecting with a message that asks.."are you still there?" How aggrevating!!! We host dinner parties and would love to play Sirius, but can't because either me or my wife have to go back to the computer every 15-30 minutes and log back in, enter the password, select the station all over, wait to upload. We have ended up just putting our I-POD on the wireless speakers and forgetting about it. Sat radio is not technically ready to compete yet with this laughable, obnoxious wire hanging out of a window technology. Still, terrestial radio is free, easy to recieve, and I can play it on my sound system. (have you ever heard Sat radio on a good stereo? Sounds like crap!!) Some songs are mono, others sound like they were downloaded from Mars. In my new Durrango, you can flip from FM to Sat, and the sound quality is night and day better on FM.

I jumped on the Sattelite bandwagon and bought both XM and Sirius and couldn't wait to get it up and running. When I did (like so many of my friends) we were all disappointed. Yes I hate commercials like anyone else (even though Sirius plays commercials on talk/news stations etc) and don't like the tight playlists of FM, but they need to make it easy to pick up, upgrade the sound quality, and most of all make it free, and then the public will maybe listen to it. Hey, a commercial is a commercial and Sirius PLAYS commercials!! They make money from radio ads, so ditch the subcription fee! Then and only then, would terrestrial radio need to worry....maybe.

xm antennas work with sirius. just go to wam mart and get a xm car antenna. i have one hooked up right now. its sitting outside on my air conditioner..i have the wires hid..

smashedcd said:
xm antennas work with sirius. just go to wam mart and get a xm car antenna. i have one hooked up right now. its sitting outside on my air conditioner..i have the wires hid..

Yeah but the problem is that XM Antennas are the same ridiculous price as Sirius antennas. No advantage there.

I can log into Sirius on line and listen for 6-8 hours uninteruppted.Maybe somethings up with your internet connection.Did you try all 10 frequencys outside? unfortunatley the trees are an issues,just like Direct Tv no luck with trees.

I chose not to install the teardrop antenna in my car, instead I just tossed it in a spot on the dashboard where it wouldn't move around much, but over time I guess it did as the wire became frayed at the teardrop itsself. I just pulled off the sticker on the bottom of it, opened it up removed the wire, trimmed it and resoldered it. works fine now. Also, I decided to put some velcro on the dash and on the teardrop, and now nothing moves around and I can quickly remove it and hide any trace that there's some kind of radio installed.

AZJoe said:
The same company that makes Sirius antennas also make XM's. None are exactly top notch quality.

nope thats why i have about 8 antennas 8) i have already had to replace the xm antenna in my truck once. i had a spare in a drawer ;D

I got a S50 Sirius car kit for Christmas and I cant get it to work too well. The 'antenna aiming' function indicates that I am getting a full strength satellite signal, but it does not play well over my car radio. I live in northwest NJ (07828) and try to use 88.1 and 107.7, as those are the only two frequencies that will pick up Sirius, but the reception is inconsistent as best, and if I drive 5 miles from my home, the signal fades completely.

On the other hand, I have an XM-Roady receiver in my car. That works fine on 88.5 anywhere I go.

The Sirius receiver will not play at all on 88.5.

I have no idea what I am doing wrong.

Why does XM work perfectly on 88.5 but Sirius will not even recognize 88.5?

I had Circuit City install Sirius in my 06 Silverado, one of those Factory add ons which are not visible and the display is on the factory radio. great install, great reception, 99.95 for the reciever and 57 .00 to install it 20 mins they were done!! great srevice at Circuit City in Pittsburg Calif. XM was removed and turned off the My Fi no more Motormouth, and his stupid show Hooray for Norman N Nite , Marty Mitchell, and Bill Rock! Where ever these guys are from, sirius keep them, No more Mototmouth for me! Sirius Gold is the "WAY TO GO !" Kenny in Concord

Bogotaboy said:
I can log into Sirius on line and listen for 6-8 hours uninteruppted.Maybe somethings up with your internet connection.Did you try all 10 frequencys outside? unfortunatley the trees are an issues,just like Direct Tv no luck with trees.

I have the answer to chrisr's problem of the "Are You Still Listening" pop-up. It only comes up when you are using the computer, i.e. visiting websites, typing on the keyboard, etc. It is there to make sure you didn't just move on to another task. Since one is at the computer when this happens it shouldn't be a problem. You can have a dinner party, do the house cleaning, or record a 4 or 5 hour show...as long as you're not fumbling around with the computer that "Are you still listening" pop up will never come up.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom