• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Sirius...Absolute Crap!

Anyone that thinks Sirius and/or XM have better options then terrestial radio are both right and wrong. Yes many more stations to choose from on Sirius and the music channels are commercial free, but some of the programming on these stations can be bizzarre at best. In listening to the 70's channel (my favorite format), I've heard the following in the last hour:

Partridge Family, Barry White (twice...yes twice in one hour and 3 titles from BW in the last hour and a half) 7 disco songs, around 6 classic rock songs, 5 or 6 urban songs...YUCK!!! An awful mix with no balance and pop music is noticably missing. I'm a 70's fan, and some titles they play I've never heard (usually of a disco nature). I have a friend who is a self proclaimed music genius and he even says there are titles he can't remember and can't find them in his cheat book of hits. Then as you guessed it, later in the afternoon, some of the same songs play again that played that morning. My big question is who at Sirius is the Barry White fan. They play Barry White songs sometimes twice per hour. He is good, but come on!

The DJ's are pathetic. They get in the way of the music because they talk WAY too much about nothing, attempt to be funny and are just plain stupid. Barry Williams from the Brady Bunch needs to go. Too stiff and sounds like he reads his jokes out of a $1.00 joke book. Give up the comedy Barry! You are not a funny guy. The night jock JJ Walker sounds very sophmoric for a channel going after adults. If these are the best dj's they can find, just go jockless.

The programmers of Sirius really need to retool the 70's channel. Don't they realize disco is what killed CHR in the 70's? This type music is some of the most hated music on the planet. It also made up such a small portion of the 70's, yet gets a large percentage of play (seems like every other song is disco). Where are the pop and ballads from the 70's???? This is a memory based format!!! Play it all!!! Not just classic rock and disco!!! If Sirius wants to play nothing but disco, start a disco channel.

The better channels are the Bridge (some of the 70's from this channel needs to be added to the 70's channel.) Alt nation is cool. I've become a Howard Stern fan from listening to some of his shows. At the end of the day, he IS a funny, entertaining guy.

The Jazz stations have the same problem as FM. Same songs over and over. Come on, this is a format the audience turns on and leaves on all day. They shouldn't play the same song in a week or more.

I don't care too much for 80's, but friends of mine say the 80's channel good.

Really like some of the talk channels although they are hard to understand because technically they are very muffled and sound almost like they are broadcasting over the telephone.

I just got Sirius and I love it. The Music stations are good but I really got it for Stern. I've since found that Stars 102 has some great programs as well. The personalities are really the draw for me even moreso than the music. BTW.... There are no muffled channels here. You may need a new radio.

fm plays 100 songs over and over again at best. sirius on most stations is around 500 to 700 not including latest hits stations. xm has 1000 or more songs or more on each non hit (latest top 40) station. so die fm you [EDIT]!! die!! ;D

[EDIT-inflammatory]

Totally disagree with you on the 70s channel, it is one of my favs of Sirius- love the music mix and the jocks ( on Barry Williams, I agree with you, tho he has improved in the last 2 years). Magic Matt and JJ Walker are both superb!! The music selection includes all genres that the 70s played , pop, rock, disco, soul and country- and it should. I recall hearing Olivia Newton John followed by Aerosmith, Abba, O'Jays and Glen Campbell!! I do not want a 70s channel that palys just "classic hits" because that is what it used to play and the subscribers had a fit and let Sirius know so they changed the format to reflect the way the 70s were.I have heard of every song they play, nothing is a minor or unheard of hit- and I lived in the 70s!! The juke box from hell feature gives us a taste of those "ON NO" "OH WOW" songs that were hits!! If you left out disco (love it or hate it) you would leave out a huge part of the 70s- play the hits- period!!

We should do an oppinion poll on this thread. Who thinks Disco should play much less on the 70's channel and who thinks it is being played the amount it should be now. Disco should not disappear from Sirius 7, just be played often enough to reflect it's popularity. Disco did not make up a large portion of the 70's. Instead it was a few songs on the charts in the late part of the 70's. That does not warrent it being played several times per hour? Ask anyone the most hated genre of music and I bet disco would come out on top. In a competitive environment, the 70's channel that played less disco would win. (my oppinion only)

Back to the DJ's, yesterday Magic Matt did a break that made absolutely no sense and he stopped the music for over :15 seconds to do it. I felt sorry for him at how bad the break bombed after he wasted so much of the listeners time. Even the person he had on with him was kind of dumb-founded. This channel would sound so much better without DJ's. They just talk way too much about nothing and serve no purpose.

Also yesterday they played a Sly and the Family Stone song that no one in the car with us knew. Had to push the info button to find out who it was. Can't recall the title. Might have been a regional hit, but never heard it before in this part of the country.

chrisr said:
We should do an oppinion poll on this thread. Who thinks Disco should play much less on the 70's channel and who thinks it is being played the amount it should be now. Disco should not disappear from Sirius 7, just be played often enough to reflect it's popularity. Disco did not make up a large portion of the 70's. Instead it was a few songs on the charts in the late part of the 70's. That does not warrent it being played several times per hour? Ask anyone the most hated genre of music and I bet disco would come out on top. In a competitive environment, the 70's channel that played less disco would win. (my oppinion only)

Back to the DJ's, yesterday Magic Matt did a break that made absolutely no sense and he stopped the music for over :15 seconds to do it. I felt sorry for him at how bad the break bombed after he wasted so much of the listeners time. Even the person he had on with him was kind of dumb-founded. This channel would sound so much better without DJ's. They just talk way too much about nothing and serve no purpose.

Also yesterday they played a Sly and the Family Stone song that no one in the car with us knew. Had to push the info button to find out who it was. Can't recall the title. Might have been a regional hit, but never heard it before in this part of the country.

say what you want but disco was huge in the 70s. its still huge to a degree today. and no i dont like it. but saying the 70s shouldnt play disco is like saying classic rock shouldnt play led zeppelin. ::)and just because you and your young friends dont know a song doesnt mean it wasnt a hit. i remember puppy love by donny osmond being on the radio 15 times a day in 1973..and i was 5!!!!!!!!!

Oh great. Let's take ChrisR's idea and reduce the playlist down to where it sounds just like every other Damned Classic Hits station on FM. 100 songs, yeah!

Ummm, no. Go back to FM, the ads await. I'm sure there wil be a live remote at the local Chevy dealer and they'll be handing out hot dogs and some really cool bumper stickers that you may be missing out on tomorrow :D.

John,

Read my threads again. I never said to take disco off the 70's channel. Reduce the titles and times per hour disco plays. Would you agree that disco makes up approximately less then 5% of music from the 70's? But gets played about 60% or more on Sirius 7? There is just not that big of an appitite for disco, or there would be disco formats doing well on terrestrial radio.

This reminds me of earlier topics I discussed on this board about Jack in New York and people wanted to slaughter me because I said Jack in NYC would never work unless they tighten up the playlist. Not by reducing the amount of titles played, but focusing more on what you do play. Look at it now. Still in the dumps. Sirius 7 would be a ratings disaster if it were in a competitive situation and thrown into the arbitron survey. Trust me. They can do better.

Chrisr, your so out of touch, you should have been in yhe Bay Area, the last ten years of KFRC 99.7 fm were pathedic!!! I was sick of contests, traffic, (its always snarled) and the morning duo Cammy Blackstone, Ron Parker were a sad excuse for a morning show!! I have XM of course, and Sirius, Wow what a great Combo!!!!! Sirius Gold is like a KRLA 1110 am in LA like it used to be!! I cancelled one XM and added Sirius just for Sirius Gold, FM is dead, think about it for a minute, how many times can you listen to "Brown Eyed Girl" ? Terrestrial radio is going down, for me today , and all the tommorows, I will be with "Both Sats" Kenny in Concord Calif

I started out with Sirius the first day it was available here, but after a couple of years switched to XM.

I found on Sirius The Vault didn’t hold much, by name this channel should have a deep playlist, found repetition on the other channels too. I haven't listened to Sirius lately so things may have improved?

On XM Deep Tracks, Fine Tuning, The Loft, Folk Village I hear a good tune EVERY DAY that I haven’t heard in 20+ years, a much better variety.

AOR & Progressive Rock etc are what I grew up liking, late 60’s and on…. I’m a 50yr old male and have been in radio engineering since 1980.

Perhaps Lee Abrams (with XM) is paying us AOR listeners back for his part in homogenizing and thus ruining much of FM Radio 8)

As I see it on the ground in the area I live in, good radio has died and gone to the heavens.

chrisr said:
John,

Read my threads again. I never said to take disco off the 70's channel. Reduce the titles and times per hour disco plays. Would you agree that disco makes up approximately less then 5% of music from the 70's? But gets played about 60% or more on Sirius 7? There is just not that big of an appitite for disco, or there would be disco formats doing well on terrestrial radio.

This reminds me of earlier topics I discussed on this board about Jack in New York and people wanted to slaughter me because I said Jack in NYC would never work unless they tighten up the playlist. Not by reducing the amount of titles played, but focusing more on what you do play. Look at it now. Still in the dumps. Sirius 7 would be a ratings disaster if it were in a competitive situation and thrown into the arbitron survey. Trust me. They can do better.

Yes, I would disagree with you that disco was only 5% of the hits, and I went and checked the year end charts (the top 50 songs of each year) Starting in 1974 (7 out of the top 50 were disco), 1975 (10/50), 1976 (21 /50), 1977(11/50), 1978 (13/50), 1979 (21/50). Totally 70s represents what were Top 40 hits back in the 70s, and disco was a HUGE part of it- like it or not. There are other Sirius channels to get 70s non disco music, perhaps you need to change channels. 8)

John Waywoods said:
In truth, I believe XM is miles ahead of Sirius. If you want to hear great Rock from late 60s through 70s, XM's Top Tracks is AMAZING.

xm also has a disco channel xm 83 ;D

smashedcd said:
John Waywoods said:
In truth, I believe XM is miles ahead of Sirius. If you want to hear great Rock from late 60s through 70s, XM's Top Tracks is AMAZING.

I prefer Sirius's 6 classic rock channels to XM's 3, and they do go deep, far deeper than terrestrial radio, and Sirius has a disco channel too, The Strobe 37.

AZJoe said:
smashedcd said:
John Waywoods said:

I prefer Sirius's 6 classic rock channels to XM's 3, and they do go deep, far deeper than terrestrial radio, and Sirius has a disco channel too, The Strobe 37.

i like all of them.all 9 of the classic rock channels..plus i consider the boneyard classic rock on xm..classic hard rock ;D so thats 10!

I'm surprised anyone is complaining about Sirius playing songs never heard of. Usually XM is referenced as the choice for deeper playlists. I have a very wide range of musical taste. I like 60's and 70's oldies but don't really like the mix on the Sirius 70's channel. They do a good job with classic rock but their alternative rock channels (Alt Nation, First Wave and Left Of Center) seem to play it a bit too safe, meaning they're not bad but there is a lot of repetition. I don't hear much "classic alternative" that goes beyond standard Men Without Hats top 40 fare on First Wave, as opposed to a little Joy Division, Siouxsie & the Banshees, etc. I have found with Sirius the beauty is finding specific shows that stand out; a much better variety than on terrestrial. For example, Cousin Brucie's oldies shows, Alex Bennett and Lynn Samuels' talk shows, Howard Stern, Markey Ramone's Punk Rock Blitzkrieg, etc. My only other suggestion is I wish they had more live DJ's instead of all the voice tracking. I can always tell; it sounds canned and obviously pre-recorded when the DJ isn't really there. Outside of those few things I mentioned I feel Sirius is well worth the $12.95 a month. Just hearing all the music with no commercials is worth the price.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom