• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Singles that are hard to find.

A few more singles that are hard to locate:
Isn't She Lovely - Stevie Wonder (radio edit)
"Isn't She Lovely" was never a commercial single, the best that I can remember. I remember it getting airplay simultaneously with "I Wish," which of course WAS a single. I can only guess that you might try looking for promo copies of that one.

Commenting on the last 2 posts, I believe Billy Joel is not fond of his 45 versions/radio edits and may have something to do with the edits either never being released or the LP versions replacing come of the shorter versions on later pressings of his greatest hits collections.

As for Isn't She Lovely, I don't think Stevie approved a shorter version of the song. TM Century created a custom edit which is on their GoldDiscs. There was an import version of a Stevie Wonder Greatest Hits collection that also had a custom shortened version of the song. But, there was never an official 45 version or radio edit released by the label.

That's the album version with Astrud's husband Joao Gilberto speaking in Portuguese.

They speak Portuguese, not Spanish, in Brazil. Joao is credited with creating Bossa Nova music.

The single version omitted his verse from the song. Not sure why they play this version.
Weird. Frank Sinatra sang the song on The Standard and then the guy sings in Portuguese. Maybe it's the same guy.

"Isn't She Lovely" was never a commercial single, the best that I can remember. I remember it getting airplay simultaneously with "I Wish," which of course WAS a single. I can only guess that you might try looking for promo copies of that one.

Curious as to why Stevie (or Tamla records) never released this song as a single? It's played all over and believe it would have been a huge hit in 76/77 had it been released then. I have an import CD single that I picked up on eBay a few years ago, that runs about 3:20 and fades out. I prefer the version heard on the radio which has a cold ending and runs about 20 seconds longer. I have never heard the "baby" full length version on the radio, which is over 6 minutes I believe.

Curious as to why Stevie (or Tamla records) never released this song as a single? It's played all over and believe it would have been a huge hit in 76/77 had it been released then. I have an import CD single that I picked up on eBay a few years ago, that runs about 3:20 and fades out. I prefer the version heard on the radio which has a cold ending and runs about 20 seconds longer. I have never heard the "baby" full length version on the radio, which is over 6 minutes I believe.
I believe that Stevie didn't want to profit off of his daughter's birth. Still, the song would have made a better choice for a single than "As" or "Another Star," both of which tanked. I HAVE heard the full version of "Isn't She Lovely" on the air, but I prefer the edit. The baby bath bit goes on for a bit too long.
Oh wow......I should have waited for you to post this. That's the copy I have. Amazing!
I was not able to enlarge the image, so I don't know how long the song is, or how many other additional songs might be on that "single." I'm guessing that this was never available in the U.S.

I believe that Stevie didn't want to profit off of his daughter's birth. Still, the song would have made a better choice for a single than "As" or "Another Star," both of which tanked. I HAVE heard the full version of "Isn't She Lovely" on the air, but I prefer the edit. The baby bath bit goes on for a bit too long.
I was not able to enlarge the image, so I don't know how long the song is, or how many other additional songs might be on that "single." I'm guessing that this was never available in the U.S.

I believe it's 3:26, and it's just that song only. Import I believe.

I was under the impression that you were looking for it on a 45, and I didn't see that one ever existed, not even a promo 45.

Wikipedia has an image of a promotional 45:

Isn%27t_She_Lovely_45.jpg

Wikipedia has an image of a promotional 45:

Isn%27t_She_Lovely_45.jpg

Good find.....

Quoted from Wikipedia "The more-than-six-minute song was not released as a single, as Wonder was unwilling to shorten the song to fit the 7", 45 rpm format. With consumers demanding a single, Tamla compromised in late 1976, and a promotional version was given to radio stations. This edited version, 3:12 in length, received so much airplay that it reached number 23 on the Adult Contemporary chart in January 1977"

Interesting, since numerous hit songs indeed exceed the 6 min threshold for a 45 release. "Hotel California", Hey Jude", "Like a Rolling Stone"....etc... Stevie could have released this as a single and it may have reached #1 in early 1977. The 3:12 time for this promo single is a tad short, compared to what radio stations air today with the cold ending that runs nearly 3:30. Take that or radio stations would have to edit out the baby sounds on the 6 min version.

On to another song......"Wishing On A Star" by Rose Royce (late 1977 or so). Don't recall this being released and did not chart on the Hot 100, despite huge airplay back then.

Last edited:
Good find.....

Quoted from Wikipedia "The more-than-six-minute song was not released as a single, as Wonder was unwilling to shorten the song to fit the 7", 45 rpm format. With consumers demanding a single, Tamla compromised in late 1976, and a promotional version was given to radio stations. This edited version, 3:12 in length, received so much airplay that it reached number 23 on the Adult Contemporary chart in January 1977"

Interesting, since numerous hit songs indeed exceed the 6 min threshold for a 45 release. "Hotel California", Hey Jude", "Like a Rolling Stone"....etc... Stevie could have released this as a single and it may have reached #1 in early 1977. The 3:12 time for this promo single is a tad short, compared to what radio stations air today with the cold ending that runs nearly 3:30. Take that or radio stations would have to edit out the baby sounds on the 6 min version.
As was the case with a number of singles back then (particularly r&b singles), he could have put part one (the hit side) on the a-side of the single, and part two (the baby bath audio) on side two.

A collector on a Facebook forum posted a link to a dub of the Tamla promo 45 that ends cold around 3:30. It surprised me since former radio people said they were never serviced with a shortened promo 45 of the song. So, was this a limited release of the promo 45 whose distribution may have been stopped (perhaps by Stevie himself?)

I stand corrected. The dub I heard actually runs 3:21. I was able to recreate it using my copy from Songs In The Key Of Life.

Sorry for the multiple posts, but the pictured promo 45 on Discogs does exist after all. See my reference above to the collector on Facebook that posted a dub of the promo 45.

Sorry for the multiple posts, but the pictured promo 45 on Discogs does exist after all. See my reference above to the collector on Facebook that posted a dub of the promo 45.

Actually Adobe Audition, lol.

Speaking of Stevie Wonder, I was annoyed to hear 106.1 "The Breeze" in Philly playing the album version of "You Are the Sunshine of My Life". Compared to the single version, it sounds so plain without the horns.

The only version of "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me" listed in the GoldDisc database has a fade-out point of 2:46, so it's even shorter than if you take the album version and cut off the intro (then it would be around 3:31):

http://members.tmstudios.com/members/searchresponse.asp?mode=s_det&sid=7059

OTOH, iHeartRadio does play the long acapella intro to Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You", with only the little vocal flourish at the end cut off (the way I remember hearing it back when it first was a hit). Because it stayed on the charts so long, many stations began cutting off the intro, which TM Studios lists as the "Special Radio Edit":

http://members.tmstudios.com/members/searchresponse.asp?mode=s_det&sid=9445
I hadn't noticed this post before. WEZV plays both long introductions mentioned here.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom