• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Sinclair buys Tribune

Actually they do. 5 people have left the sales dept in the last 3 months. none of them have another gig lined up, so it looks like they vote with their feet....

That option is always there. What I was talking about is staying there and having a vote on company policy.

Anyone who thinks they're hurting the company by quitting is dreaming.

Their money, their rules. No democracy.

Last edited:
It's been a two-station ownership limit (duopolies) since the late 90's. Depending on the number of stations in a market, groups can own more than two. In the case of Seattle under the new ownership cap, Sinclair doesn't need to sell KUNS.

What is it about this discussion board, that everyone is so eager to anticipate forced-selling of stations, radio or TV?

But wait Sinclair has a history of going around the duopoly rules by having contracts with the license holders examples, Dreamcatcher, Cunningham and Deerfield. In some parts of the country these license holders that are connected to Sinclair simply own the transmitter, license and studio and sinclair provides the staff, affiliation and carriage contracts.

Actually they do. 5 people have left the sales dept in the last 3 months. none of them have another gig lined up, so it looks like they vote with their feet....

That seems awfully rash for someone who considers themselves a professional. There is always demand for sales folks with a solid track record, but jumping ship because an ownership change? Maybe they should look at changing careers altogether.

There would be a negative benefit for Sinclair to sell off the Seattle radio properties because all radio properties everywhere, have been devalued since 2007 around the recession.

This indeed gives them something in common with WGN-AM. Recession with a shove from Michaels and Metheney. The strong consensus opinion here in the Chicago area is that WGN radio will be spun off. Possibly even before the TV deal closes.

Last edited:
Who would be a likely candidate to buy WGN?

There are no obvious buyers for an AM that has lost half its billing in the last decade and which is now down to around 19th to 20th in 25-54 shares.

It would have to be offered at a deep discount over normal multiples, probably something like 1.5 times gross billings, which would price it in the 30's.

It would be difficult to peel-off a station like WGN, especially given the TV station has the same call. That, and what would a new owner do with it?

It would be difficult to peel-off a station like WGN, especially given the TV station has the same call.

The call letter situation isn't a unique problem. The owner (Sinclair/Tribune) retains the call letters, and the buyer has to apply for a new set. Or the buyer and seller work out an agreement, as CBS and Entercom just did.

The call letter situation isn't a unique problem. The owner (Sinclair/Tribune) retains the call letters, and the buyer has to apply for a new set. Or the buyer and seller work out an agreement, as CBS and Entercom just did.

Beyond the technicalities, I disagree. Unlike other stations, the WGN brand would be broken for the new owner if the calls were changed. That, and honestly, it would be a shame to lose the three letter call.

Given the losses in listeners, changing calls would be a death blow.

Given the losses in listeners, changing calls would be a death blow.

As I said, there are ways to handle this. Cumulus (or actually Citadel) made a deal with Disney to continue to use WABC, WLS, and KABC. I also gave the example of Entercom with WCBS, WBBM, KCBS, and others. So why couldn't the new owner of WGN?

But the other option is to get WWGN or WGGN or some similar combination, which only would be used for legal ID. This is what Greater Media did when it bought WRC-AM from General Electric, and changed the radio letters to WWRC. Lots of other examples.

This is one reason why so many radio stations are moving away from using call letters as branding, instead focusing on format or dial position.

Though keep in mind KIRO stays in the market as both a TV and AM/FM under two different owners and everyone can peacefully break bread and sip beer at the same table!! Or KING-TV/KING-FM, etc. I would think if the product of each enhances the brand of the other they would probably have no problem co-existing.

I would think if the product of each enhances the brand of the other they would probably have no problem co-existing.

Exactly...as I said, it's easily handled in the sale negotiation.

However, owning a few conservative talk radio stations wouldn't be a big stretch. Put them under the management of their news VP.

Though keep in mind KIRO stays in the market as both a TV and AM/FM under two different owners and everyone can peacefully break bread and sip beer at the same table!! Or KING-TV/KING-FM, etc. I would think if the product of each enhances the brand of the other they would probably have no problem co-existing.

Seattle may be the last top 15 market that still identifies their news/programming by the original calls, with the exception of KCPQ (Fox, known as Q13). KING are simply great calls, and KOMO and KIRO are easy to remember. But I doubt we will ever hear CBS7, or ABC4 in Seattle. (Watch someone switch next week!, :).

Last edited:
Seattle may be the last top 15 market that still identifies their news/programming by the original calls, with the exception of KCPQ (Fox, known as Q13). KING are simply great calls, and KOMO and KIRO are easy to remember. But I doubt we will ever hear CBS7, or ABC4 in Seattle. (Watch someone switch next week!, :).

And, those of us oldtimers remember the ill-fated attempt to switch from KING 5 News to Newscenter 5 in the 80's! IIRC, there was such an uproar that they never finished switching over and it was later used only in the intro to the newscasts "Live from Newscenter 5, this is KING 5 News!"

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom