• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Sign on and off times of Kikk?

Anyone know the sign on times & off of KIKK, I tuned in about 8:30 and I didnt get nothing, I thought they turn it off at sunset (dark)? I know KHLT turns off at midnight. I believe 1130 KTMR signs off around 8:00 or so along that time.
Thanks.

> Anyone know the sign on times & off of KIKK, I tuned in
> about 8:30 and I didnt get nothing, I thought they turn it
> off at sunset (dark)? I know KHLT turns off at midnight. I
> believe 1130 KTMR signs off around 8:00 or so along that
> time.

Nearly all daytime stations sign on and off at local sunrise and sunset, rounded to the nearest 15 minutes, and changed each month. So June would have different times than July.

Some few daytimers sin on or off at sunset or sunrise of the station they protect, rather than local times. But these are rare exceptions.

I gues thats the same way with High/Low power? I know sometimes KTXN 1310 I can recieve durring the day fine, but around sunset it goes out. I'm still learning about this am thing ;). Same goes with 760, KTKR 790 even WOAI will fade every 20 secounds or so at night. But usually up here at my main place near Austin I'll recieve WOAI clear.

This time of year would be the LONGEST broadcast days for KIKK. I have, on occasion, noticed a pretty decent KIKK/WSM war even before sunset around 7-8 while the station is still at full power. WSM generally gets a good signal out before sunset.

> Anyone know the sign on times & off of KIKK, I tuned in
> about 8:30 and I didnt get nothing, I thought they turn it
> off at sunset (dark)? I know KHLT turns off at midnight. I
> believe 1130 KTMR signs off around 8:00 or so along that
> time.
> Thanks.
>

The daytimer here signs off at 8:15. I need to check if that will change in July. Might be able to be a whole half hour of some sort of programming on then!

Is 1070 still like that? I know in the Z-Rock days, it would all of a sudden go to like half power it seemed at around 6pm. Which sucked for me being out in Humble at the time. What exactly is/was the deal with that?

> I gues thats the same way with High/Low power? I know
> sometimes KTXN 1310 I can recieve durring the day fine, but
> around sunset it goes out. I'm still learning about this am
> thing ;). Same goes with 760, KTKR 790 even WOAI will fade
> every 20 secounds or so at night. But usually up here at my
> main place near Austin I'll recieve WOAI clear.
>

> The daytimer here signs off at 8:15. I need to check if
> that will change in July. Might be able to be a whole half
> hour of some sort of programming on then!
>
Per the FCC, KIKK 650 sign-on time in CST for July is 5:30am and sign-off is 7:30pm, so with Daylight Savings, add an hour and KIKK should sign-on at 6:30am and sign-off at 8:30pm. The 8:30pm sign-off sounds about right, but I believe the daytimers sign-on by 6:00am in July, if not 5:30am.

KIKK 650 has to follow the exact sign-on and sign-off times. At one time KIKK had PreSunRise Authority that allowed them to sign on at 6:00am all year with 250 watts, the same as their daytime power. WSM complained to the FCC that KIKK could cause interference to WSM's coverage area and the FCC recinded KIKK's PSRA.

That was really paranoid on WSM's part, KIKK's 250 watts would be the least of WSM's interference problems. Central American high power stations, Mexico has nine stations on 650 with one station 10kW non-directional, and Cuba when they feel like using 650 all would cause a great deal more interference to WSM than KIKK ever would.
>
> >
> >Is 1070 still like that? I know in the Z-Rock days, it would all of a sudden
> >go to like half power it seemed at around 6pm. Which sucked for me being out
> >in Humble at the time. What exactly is/was the deal with that?
> >
KNTH 1070 would still be the same and change to the night pattern, which is very tight over downtown and drop the power from 10kW to 5kW at 8:30pm in July.

The reason that stations either go off the air or reduce power or go to a directional pattern when the sun sets is that the AM signal will travel much further at night because it skips off the ionosphere region of the atmosphere above the stratosphere, reflecting radio waves back to earth. That is why at night the AM band is mostly a jumble of signals, except for the local stations that you can receive. On the "clear channels" you used to be able to pick up nearly all the stations loud and clear for at least a 1000 miles and often further. Today the "clear channel" stations are only protected for a 750 mile radius around the City of License.

You still can get some "clear channel" stations fairly well, like KMOX 1120 St Louis, 820 WBAP Ft Worth, 840 WHAS Louisville, WOAI 1200 San Antonio and there are more.

In the 60's when I lived in a suburb of Niagara Falls I picked up KFI 640 Los Angeles, KNBR 680 San Francisco, KNX 1070 Los Angeles, KYOS 1480 Merced, CA a 5000 watt station and a few others from California. The Texas stations I remember are WBAP/WFAA 820 Ft Worth/Dallas, back when the two stations were sharing time on the 820 frequency. WBAP/WFAA was a regular nighttime station and had a good signal you could listen to, even though there is a 50000 watt station WGY in Schenectady, NY about 200 miles away on 810. WOAI 1200 San Antonio, KFJZ 1270 Ft Worth, WBAP/WFAA 570 where the stations also shared time, WBAP/WFAA 570 was a difficult catch with 5000 watts and I had 5000 watt stations WMCA New York, WKBN Youngstown, WSYR Syracuse, WNAX Yankton, SD and WWNC Asheville that all came in almost nightly on 570. However the Dallas duo would cut through the other stations fairly often. KTSA 550 San Antonio one night when local (at that time) WGR went off the air for maintenance. I remember picking up a Dallas station on 1310, and I thought it was WRR playing Classical music, although The Ticket is their now and KAAM was on 1310 before The Ticket. KYOK 1590 Houston and I know there where others, I don't remember which stations they where now.

Unfortunately for Houston most of the patterns at night are from the 1940's and don't cover very far outside of The Loop or Beltway at night. Back then it was rural country and I don't think anyone thought Houston would grow into the huge city it is today and still growing and spreading out. While it is expensive and radio is in a difficult position today trying to get listeners, especially AM stations, it would be a big boost in the amount of people that could listen to their stations if they would move their antenna's north to somewhere between Conroe and The Woodlands. Many stations could at the very least double their potential audience, some stations could increase their potential audience ten fold. The station would have to operate at night with more than 5000 watts though, probably at the very least 10kW or 25kw. Maybe Houston could do what many of the New York stations did and have an AM antenna farm. It does take a lot of Engineering work to have multiple stations in the same area and often sharing towers.

Mike O

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom