• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

SHT's Radio Babe covers Free Talk Live again!

http://heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060828/COLUMNIST50/608280330/-1/OPINION09

Dear Readers: Sarasota-born radio talk program "Free Talk Live" (WWPR 1490 AM, weekdays 1 to 2 p.m.) lost its "little show that could" standing after utilizing the podcasting medium before most people ever heard the term.

In fact, news reports and articles cited "FTL" (Top 10 status among all uploaded broadcasts in existence (about 25,000 then).

Fast-forward a couple of years, and the PodcastConnect 2006 People's Choice Podcast Awards (www.pod castawards.com) folks sifted through 875,000 submissions. Narrowed to 3,285 shows, the judges picked the top five in 22 categories.

For two weeks thereafter, online voters picked their favorite 110 podcasts in such classifications as comedy, business, sports, technology/science, mobile podcasts and directories, for example, until the winners were announced Aug. 15.

Of them, "Free Talk Live" won for 2006 Best Political Podcast. What's more unbelievable are the contenders it beat: Pacifica Radio's "Democracy Now," the "U.S. Sen. Barack Obama Podcast," the "Best of the Left Podcast" and finally, the "President's Weekly Radio Address."

The win of "FTL" isn't excessively implausible, however, if one considers that the majority of podcast listeners almost certainly want to be entertained.

Originator/host Ian Bernard wrote that the honor is "somewhat ironic considering I despise politics. Not that I'm complaining!"

The "FTL" program doesn't follow a set format; it's guided by whatever callers and e-mailers want to discuss -- "free talk," live.

More ironic is the fact that the program is not on live on WWPR, but it is on 12 of its other affiliates around the nation, and online, Monday through Saturday, 7 to 10 p.m.

Bernard and company pick up the trophy at the second annual Podcast and Portable Media Expo Sept. 29-30 in Ontario, Calif., where the People's Choice and Best Produced awards will also be announced.

Well, it's a forum about Tampa area radio, and that's a media article about a Tampa area radio show. I don't give a flip if you care or not!

No. I used to buy time from Val back on WTMY during the show's local days. Now she airs us as fill, so the time can be bought out from under us.

Nowdays, buying time is not our business model. We've added all 16 affiliates on merit.

The posting was about FTL appearing in a radio column published in a Sarasota paper. You may want to review the forum description, as it clearly indicates Sarasota related things should be posted here.

I understand that you're an angry person, KJCB, so maybe it will cheer you up to know that we've moved out of the area, to New Hampshire.

Ah yes, 68 posts and every one about his own show... :-[

I'm not an angry person, but I don't care to see the board turned into a press release relay service for anyone, including shows on NETWORKS most people haven't even heard of. It would seem that a certain Mr. Cooke uses the board for similar purposes, as well.

As far as Sarasota goes, I have never lived there but am familiar with the market and its (unfortunate) status as a wasteland of TIS-like AM stations and FMs serving Tampa. Speaking of which, I'm not familiar with any "board description", but I do know that "TOP 20 MARKETS", of which this board is part of, would include Tampa, but not Sarasota-Bradenton, which is its own market, #74. Tampa is composed of Hillsborough, Pinellas, Pasco, and Hernando counties, not Manatee and/or Sarasota.

KJCB said:
I'm not familiar with any "board description", but I do know that "TOP 20 MARKETS", of which this board is part of, would include Tampa, but not Sarasota-Bradenton, which is its own market, #74. Tampa is composed of Hillsborough, Pinellas, Pasco, and Hernando counties, not Manatee and/or Sarasota.

Here it is, since you had trouble finding it:

Tampa-St. Petersburg
For discussion of radio in Tampa Bay, Fort Myers, and Sarasota.

Take it up with the admins.

It would seem that a certain Mr. Cooke uses the board for similar purposes, as well.

I like Holland, my posts are on topic, and yes, many do have to do with my show. Of course they do! My show is my life. Besides, you can't comment on all 68 of my posts, as the forum blocks off personal profiles. Therefore, you can't read my old posts all in one place, so you're just being mean. In fact, you've never once come across as anything but. ::)

"my posts are on topic, and yes, many do have to do with my show. Of course they do! My show is my life."
I have a life, too, but you don't see me posting about it.

"Besides, you can't comment on all 68 of my posts, as the forum blocks off personal profiles. Therefore, you can't read my old posts all in one place"
What are you, 12?

"so you're just being mean. In fact, you've never once come across as anything but."
Your show is a tiny nothing, and has never come across as anything but.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom