• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Should KILM in Barstow Relay Its Signal to L.A.?

I think KILM (formerly KHIZ) in Barstow (if it has the money) should build/acquire an LPTV or a Class A to rebroadcast its signal into L.A. because I think that would greatly increase their viewership. Especially considering that Barstow, being in San Bernardino County, is in the Los Angeles television market, and the station can currently only be received in L.A. proper via DirecTV and Dish and on some Time Warner Cable systems, mainly the ones acquired from Adelphia. If KILM were to do this, the relay could be transmitted from Mt. Wilson or adjacent Mt. Harvard, whichever has more space for another TV tower. I think that regardless of what kind of license it chooses it should be on physical channel 44 (like the parent station) and map to virtual channel 64 (like the parent station). It could use the call letters KILM-LD or KILM-CD, kind of like how in the analog era KWHY (then on channel 22) operated an LPTV in the neighboring Santa Barbara-Santa Maria-San Luis Obispo market. The LPTV, licensed to Santa Barbara, was KWHY-LP and also broadcast on channel 22. (The LPTV was destroyed in 2008 in the Tea Fire, as some of you might recall.)

I got the above idea from the fact that Twentynine Palms-licensed KVMD (physical channel 23, virtual channel 31) is rebroadcast to L.A. proper on KSMV-LD (same physical and virtual channel numbers), and how KNLA-CD (physical channel 50, virtual channel 20) used to relay what was once Bishop-licensed KBBC (a bilingual Spanish/English station) to L.A. The Bishop station has since changed its call letters to KVME and is now a Me-TV affiliate in tandem with Anaheim-licensed KDOC channel 56.3, while KNLA-CD is now one of a few over-the-air L.A. affiliates of HSN (on its main 20.1 channel--20.2 is CEN [not sure what this is], 20.3 is Corner Store TV [infomercials], and 20.4 is Aviva TV [Spanish Religious]). I would assume that the virtual channel of KNLA-CD being 20 is left over from when it relayed what is now KVME, which is on physical channel 20, and whose virtual channel is also 20.

KILM is also available on Verizon FiOS channel 20.

Mastaclocksetta said:
tripinva said:
They have already applied to do a DTS and have an FCC permit for it valid until November 2014.

http://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php?appid=1333036&map=Y

- Trip

What's a DTS?

Distributed Transmission System. Instead of one high-powered transmitter, it employs several lower-powered transmitters, all synchronized on the same RF channel. WTVE 25.x Reading PA and KRBK 49.x Osage Beach MO are two good examples of DTS.

RadioFanBoy said:
Has anyone actually WATCHED what is on KILM since its September launch....for more than five minutes?

Battlecam :eek:

You'd think KILM would realize they have the coverage via cable and act like a big boy TV station and show real programming. I've seen KDOC do this (go from a small station to a major player like KCOP) and now they have excellent HD quality on many of their real TV shows. I'm sure if KILM went HD the cable companies would put them on in HD as well.

Does cable only programming work? Ask Conan. ;)

KILM signal is now available throughout LA on Channel 64, OTA. I believe they're using one of KFLA's channels (LPTV-D Los Angeles @ Mt. Wilson) as a translator.

PJ said:
KILM signal is now available throughout LA on Channel 64, OTA. I believe they're using one of KFLA's channels (LPTV-D Los Angeles @ Mt. Wilson) as a translator.

It couldn't be on RF64 because that is well out of core and if KILM is using the "blowtorch power" that supports KFLA-8 they might as well not even bother with the expense. No more than 6 people can actually pick up KFLA through the air. 300 measly watts isn't gonna fly.

Robnoxious said:
PJ said:

It couldn't be on RF64 because that is well out of core and if KILM is using the "blowtorch power" that supports KFLA-8 they might as well not even bother with the expense. No more than 6 people can actually pick up KFLA through the air. 300 measly watts isn't gonna fly.

You can receive it on OTA 64, while the RF is KFLA's Ch.8, they're translating it, w/the PSIP of 64. The station is at 3kw via a temporary permit. I can get the station down here in Long Beach.

You must be on the North side of Signal Hill because nary a whisper of KFLA has ever got here or my buddies place near El Dorado Park.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom