• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Should A Local Right Wing Talk Show Host Be Worried?

In those surveys of public trust, car salesmen and journalists rank about equally, right down there with lawyers. So, it's sort of a lateral move.

Noah Adams is semi-retired. He no longer hosts ATC but does "On The Road" type features occasionally a la Charles Kuralt (BA, UNC Chapel Hill; former editor, Daily Tar Hell). ATC has been hosted by Robert Siegel (MA, Columbia Graduate School of Journalism) for more than a quarter century.

I wonder where Small has ever seen a Rhodes Scholar in a small market where they frack. Maybe he's talking about seeing Bill Clinton on TV. Or maybe when he's not fantasizing about being a talk show host, he dreams that he's the guy who could get Rachel Maddow to change teams. Any Rhodes Scholars at Fox? (Hint: No!) Other Rhodes Scholars in broadcasting: George Stephanopoulos, Howard K. Smith and Elmer Davis (ABC). E.J. Dionne (NPR). Rex Murphy (The CBC), Faith Salie (PRI). And, finally, Ronan Farrow, which is the best argument that Ronan is Woody's kid, because Sinatra's kid wouldn't make it past community college (and more likely, jail).

There IS something to be said for making the effort. At least being exposed to the foundations of the industry you seek to join. I'd say that's at least helpful to the person doing the job.

There is certainly some element of foundation-building to be found in communications courses. But, having seen the alternatives, I'd forgo the major in communications and get a more rounded degree in the arts with a smattering of business, math and the social sciences.

Like most skilled occupations, most of the craft is learned on the job.

Dennis Miller has a degree in journalism and used to anchor "Weekend Update."

Your "Television Ignorance" is showing, again.

Just as Penny did not wait tables at the California Pizza Kitchen, Miller did not "anchor" anything. "Weekend Update" is a skit on Saturday Night Live and essentially a parody of current events, straight news broadcasts and news anchors. Jane Curtin and Chevy Chase and, of course, the famous duo of Jimmy Fallon and Tina Fey have also played in this recurring feature of SNL.

Miller is and was a comedian, so comparing his focus and educational background with commentators or anchors is disingenuous.

Seems like Eduardo doesn't understand sarcasm either.

The person or people who do Weekend Update are generally referred to as "anchors." And a good many people find it more reliable than so-called straight news shows. Same for the late night monologues. And Miller does have a degree in journalism, which makes him better qualified than many of these failed top 40 jocks passing themselves off as "journalists," or the former political operatives working as network news hosts.

Jane Curtain and Chevy Chase did not anchor together.

And, OK, it's the Cheesecake Factory. What do I know? I used to assume Penny's boobs were real.

Jane Curtain and Chevy Chase did not anchor together.

Can you get a refund on your journalism degree (if you have one)? I never said that those two played "anchor" together*. I did not use the "duo" word until the next sentence. In the preceding sentence, I mentioned two of the other famous comedians who had played "anchor" on the segment. Try reading the post over, and perhaps you can grasp where you made your error.

* Playing an "anchor" does not make one an anchor. Were it otherwise, Ron Burgandy would be the logical replacement for the current crop of talking heads on CBS and NBC.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom