• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

'Shotgun' Tom Kelly moving to 'Ambassador' role at K-EARTH

I think Gary Bryan and Co. would do just fine in afternoons. His ratings are up and solid and the audience would buy into the idea of him in afternoons, provided they got someone they know, like Dees, in mornings.

The only possible glitch in hiring Dees is that he prefers to spend most of his time at his Kentucky ranch and I'm sure he'd want to originate the morning show from there rather than be out here in L.A. a lot. Given that insisting on doing his daily show remotely (from Palm Springs) is what cost Don Burns his afternoon drive gig on KTWV several years back, I wonder if CBS would accept Rick on that basis.

I do like the idea, though ... because Dees still has name-brand recognition with L.A. listeners in the target demo. The only reason he failed at KMVN was that they were current-based and he was too "out of touch" with that music to relate. And at KHHT, the music was closer to what he knew but not spread across multiple genres ... plus he was voicetracked much of the time (I think it was about 100% near the end of his run there).

But live Dees? And KRTH's current music spectrum? Damned good match there.

Thanks i agree :)

And add the weekly top 40 the eighties and its a recipe for Success, it will sound like KIIS FM from the 80's.

Rick Dees, if anyone knows the 80's its Rick. He had the highest ratings in the early 80's, and still has a big following.

I agree...I'd vote for Dees.

However, my sources tell me he was offered a gig at KRTH before he went to Movin', and he turned it down because he didn't want to do a classic format. So I don't know if he's now had second thoughts. I hope he has, because he's a great talent.

I agree...I'd vote for Dees.

However, my sources tell me he was offered a gig at KRTH before he went to Movin', and he turned it down because he didn't want to do a classic format. So I don't know if he's now had second thoughts. I hope he has, because he's a great talent.

That was several years ago, and K-earth sounded way different back then. Apples to oranges.

The good news for Dees is this would be an afternoon shift. I'm told Dees was not a lover of the early morning when he got to Movin.'
Dees wasn't a fan of mornings when at KIIS with his first hour voice tracked for most if not all of his stay there.

Dees wasn't a fan of mornings when at KIIS with his first hour voice tracked for most if not all of his stay there.

I'm going to pull a little from everyone here and put forward an idea.

First, I think the experience with Movin' 93.9 convinced Rick that he's out of place trying to do his thing around current music. You'll notice his last station was Hot 92.3, which played nothing but "old school" oldies.

Now, what if KRTH did move Gary Bryan to afternoon drive, and let Rick do the morning show from home most of the time?
Rick lives in Boyle, Kentucky, which is in the part of the state which is in the Eastern Time Zone. For him to do a 6:00 to 10:00am show means being in the home studio by 9:00am.

This could work ... if CBS let Rick stay in Kentucky most of the time.

The morning show is working. They'll fill afternoons. It'd be a great opportunity to bring Freddy Snakeskin, who is well-liked in the building, back after his layoff a few weeks ago. Freddie and The Real Don Steele were longtime friends.

The morning show is working. They'll fill afternoons. It'd be a great opportunity to bring Freddy Snakeskin, who is well-liked in the building, back after his layoff a few weeks ago. Freddie and The Real Don Steele were longtime friends.

Actually, that's not the building he was well liked in.

CBS has two locations here ... one is on Wilshire Blvd. a few blocks east of Fairfax (almost exactly diagonally across the street from SAG-AFTRA), where KRTH, KTWV, KNX and (separated by a line on the floor) KFWB. The other, at the former KHJ transmitter site at Venice Blvd./Fairfax Ave., has KROQ, KCBS-FM, and KAMP. Freddy worked at the latter.

A good question would be: If CBS were to bring him back (and since he was let go for budgetary reasons, there's no reason why they couldn't), would he be okay with doing the KRTH format? He hasn't done top-40 since KTNQ.

One reason CBS might be hesitant is that Freddy and Tom are old friends, going all the way back to Arizona. You tend not to consider hiring a friend of the person you just shoved out the door ...

I have mixed feelings about bringing Rick Dees back. At Movin and Hot, it sounded like he was doing his same old shtick. Do listeners want to hear that again? I dunno. I say leave Gary Bryan in the mornings and hire someone else for afternoons. I am holding out for Martha Quinn. <3

She's too busy being a mommy. If Sirius/XM didn't let her voicetrack, she wouldn't be doing that either.

Well, perhaps K-Earth will let Martha Quinn voice track, too. It's a longshot but it would be SO COOL to hear her on K-Earth regularly. If not in Shotgun's place, perhaps in some other time slot.

Well, perhaps K-Earth will let Martha Quinn voice track, too. It's a longshot but it would be SO COOL to hear her on K-Earth regularly. If not in Shotgun's place, perhaps in some other time slot.

The odds against that longshot are so astronomical, I don't even know what "-illion" it is.

"Shotgun" is heard on Saturday Mornings 8 to 12 PM followed by Joe Rosati from 12 to 5 PM, Followed by Skywalker from 5 to 9 PM, then a new weekend guy Larry Davis from 9 PM to Midnight.
Sundays you can catch "Shotgun" from 10 AM to 2 PM, followed by Skywalker from 2 to 6 PM and Larry Davis 6 to 10 Sunday Night.

Taken from Radio.com

Last edited:
Looks like Shotgun took over Charlie Tuna's weekend shifts, if this is a permanent arrangement. Glad he is still doing a shift. Still say canning Tuna was a big mistake. I wonder if it was ratings or money that led to Charlie's dismissal?..or KRTH didn't want anybody on the air who wold remind listeners of the 60's and 70's..of course Jim Carson is still on the air. Charlie was the one jock I looked forward to listening, even putting up with(IMHO) the music. Of course, I'm over 60 and prefer the 60's and 70's,but that ship has sailed.

This weekend I'm listening to the Internet station Rewound Radio. They are doing one of their holiday specials..A no repeat 1965-1974 three day weekend. The exact opposite of commercial oldies/classic hits stations. Deep playlist, 60's music.no commercials. Can't turn it off!...but that's the beauty of Internet stations that will cater to people over 55.

Looks like Shotgun took over Charlie Tuna's weekend shifts, if this is a permanent arrangement. Glad he is still doing a shift. Still say canning Tuna was a big mistake. I wonder if it was ratings or money that led to Charlie's dismissal?..or KRTH didn't want anybody on the air who wold remind listeners of the 60's and 70's..of course Jim Carson is still on the air. Charlie was the one jock I looked forward to listening, even putting up with(IMHO) the music. Of course, I'm over 60 and prefer the 60's and 70's,but that ship has sailed.

Benale: It was money. Ratings from 8-noon on weekends aren't anything anybody at KRTH is looking at.

The exact opposite of commercial oldies/classic hits stations. Deep playlist, 60's music.no commercials. Can't turn it off!...but that's the beauty of Internet stations that will cater to people over 55.

If its the station I'm thinking about, it's a hobby station that isn't advertiser supported. Right?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom