• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Sheldon Sharpless

hunterrb said:
Sheldon Sharpless is truly a legend in the Moshannon Valley. Anyone on the air at the same station for over 50 years deserves the respect he has earned over the years.

I take the responsibility for fact Sheldon is no longer on the air. It was not an easy decision. I consulted numerous people and lost sleep in the process. I will in all likelihood suffer a revenue drop, hopefully in the short term. I admit to having limited experience in this wonderful business and I defer to all of you on radio issues. However I do have business experience of over 30 years, most recently as a CFO.

As most of you are aware personnel issues may not be discussed publicly. I can say this: no matter what business you have been in, Mr. Sharpless's actions would have had the same result. The only reason I agonized over it, was Sheldon's longevity and popularity.

I have suffered hate mail, death threats, attempts to destroy the business, and now a movement organized by his family to bring him back. This has been a rather difficult situation. At the end of the day there are certain moral principals in business and in life and crossing them has consequences. I stand by my decision, based on the factual information I have.

Bob Benckert

I grew up listening to WPHB and we all loved Sheldon Sharpless on WPHB radio. He was the reason I listened to that station.
So Sheldon spent 50 years as a broadcaster for the local station, new management comes in, and has what? new ideas?

Was the station losing money? Were the ratings down? Were the listeners complaining? Was Sheldon not doing his job as he had done before the new
management stepped in? Was advertising falling off because of him? I think those are the reasons one would fire a person.

I can not, for the life of me, understand why when a new person takes over any business, that things have to get shaken up.
It's one thing to make changes if they are more than needed.

Was it necessary to really replace a man who dedicated 50 years of service to his community and was loved by everyone?
I am not aware of anyone wanting Sheldon to be taken off the air.
I really and truly don't think you agonized over your decision enough.

Telling this man of 50 years of dedicated service to leave his position was despicable and the manner in which ,Bob the manager, did it takes despicable to new heights.

Moral Principals ? I am infuriated and despise the fact that you insinuate that Sheldon Sharpless or his family are without moral principals.
I will stand behind that entire family for their honesty, integrity and high moral standards. A person doesn't live in a community their entire life and not learn who can be trusted and who has moral character and principals to admire. The entire Sharpless family including Elva (Sharpless Shoemaker) are and always have been people we know we can trust and believe.
Donna Corso

Like I said Jimmiejames.... you don't know what you're talking about! Vicious is a grown man acting like a child by screaming into a 73 years old man's face! Unreal how low BOBBY will go when he's angry! He talks about intelligent and calm conversions??? He sure didn't show Sheldon that on his last day, screaming "does that belong to you?" And having a backstabber like Jerry Pollock saying "yes sir"!!! If anyone could have heard the way he talked to my Uncle on June 8th they would know exaclty what kind of man he really is!

So now Uncle Sheldon crossed a moral principal??? Get real!! Sheldon has dedicated his life to helping others and would never do or say anything unmoral!! How dare you Bob Benckert pull this crap on a good man!! One more thing.... the Sharpless family DID NOT start this web page!! We just LOVE It and SUPPORT it with all our hearts! Do some research Bobby!!! QUIT YOUR FREAKIN LYING!!!!

Why aren't you telling everyone how the former owners of the station called you an idiot for FIRING Sheldon? Told you it was the worst mistake you could ever make!! You painting a picture that is simply false. Why? Bc you know you made a HUGE mistake and can't figure out how to get out of it. You're lying and lying to cover up lies.. and blaming Sheldon and his family.... saying you have had death threats lol That's a joke!! And until I mentioned that the "break in" wasn't in the police log... A WEEK AFTER YOU TOLD OTHER PPL IT HAPPENED, it was never mentioned!! STOP FREAKIN" LYING BOB!!

The burglary at the station happened over the weekend of June 12th- 13th and a report was filed Monday Morning.

Elva, instead of talking about things you don't know about and making up stories, why not discuss your concerns face to face. Why hide behind a public forum? The offer to discuss the matter has been open to you, your family, and your supporters for two weeks. To date one 17 year old has come forward to talk with me about it.

Oh and Elva - there were multiple people in the building when the shouting attacks took place and no one can seem to remember them. Wonder why that it is? Time to stop this name calling and move on to a rational discussion.

perhaps you are only hearing one side of the story, elva - it would seem
that bob has made a fair offer to you and those you represent to meet
and have an unemotional discussion of all of the issues that concern you.
you never know what might happen if you stop screaming and start talking...

As I believe I indicated on Page 1 of this thread, I'm a fan of Sheldon's and I believe that his work ethic is most admirable. At the same time, it is no secret that small town AM radio is no longer a profitable venture for the vast majority of station owners.

It would surprise virtually every reader on this (radio-info) board if WPHB was an exception. It would not surprise any of us to learn that WPHB was losing money on a daily, weekly, monthly and yearly basis. If-and-when that is the case, small adjustments can't fix the problem. And as the primary personality of the station, it would surprise none of us to learn that it had been dietermined that Sheldon personified the problem.

Pennsylvania is an "at will" employment state. Unless there is an employment contract superceding the "at will" provision, it means that all employees (yes, all of us) are employed at the will of the employer, and our employment may be terminated at any time, for any reason or no reason at all.

At any time, for any reason, or no reason at all.

So maybe Sheldon was the problem, or maybe he wasn't. In the end, it doesn't matter.

Bob I know the whole story and I know who is a HONEST man... Sheldon Sharpless is! You know you screamed in his face and tried to humilate him. I know the man that came to the station with him that day very well and he also told me the same story as Uncle Sheldon did. I wouldn't give you the time of day to sit and talk intelligently or calmly with you, bc as far I've seen it would be a one sided conversion.... You can't be reasoned with or talked to.... Everyone who has pulled there ads has told me that.... You get angry and say I DON'T CARE!! Well you will care when you're out of money and you've run my Uncle's station into the ground. My FAMILY has tried talking to you several times, by the way, all of our last names aren't Sharpless. And you're exact words were, "I can't discuss it with you". You have told so many lies about all of this that you can't keep your stories stragiht now. You know you screamed at Sheldon, he has no reason to lie, you do. You're trying to save the station from losing more sponsors by acting like you're the poor victim... you're the one who posted about the so called break in a WEEK before you reported.... if you hadn't deleted your Facebook account, I could have proven it!! And Sheldon has told you countless times about leaving the station unlocked and windows opened,.....but you always know better and can't listen to anyone else!!! Philipsburg knows Sheldon Sharpless and knows he is a honest man and wouldn't lie to save his own life. As for meeting with me.... iwouldn't step foot into that station till my Uncle is back where he belongs and you're out on your a**!! You want to meet me, I'll call and set up a time and date and I'll bet you won't show up. Sincerely, Elva Shoemaker

Jakeandcoke.... I completely understand what your saying and I know that if it was simply said "Sheldon we're letting you go" Then he would have accepted it. And so would have his fans. But Bob Benckert has tried to lie out of simply firing an employee. He told Sheldon that he was retiring, Sheldon said.... no no I'm not. Then gave an excuse that the insurance costs were too high... then told ppl that Uncle Sheldon did or said something wrong on the radio... then excused him of being immoral?? One thing I know for sure is that after 50 some years of being on the radio, Sheldon Sharpless knows the businesses and would never do anything immoral on or off the air. His lies and excuses are unbelievable and unjust... I will not stand by and let my uncle be treated with such disrespect. Sheldon gave his life to that station and his listeners and we're (all 1600 +) of us are giving him back what he deserves.... his fair so in the matter.

Everyone at "petiton to put Sheldon Sharpless back on the air at WPHB" is on board with a meeting with you Bob. I think Windy Hill Village would be a good place to meet. Name the day and time and we'll (1600 +) be there. = )

jimmiejames.... I and several of my family members and ppl who are friends of Sheldon's have tried calling Bob to talk. He says and I quote "I can't discuss it... it's a matter between employee and employer." Sponsors have tried unsuccessfully to talk with him about Sheldon and he refuses. If you want to hear the truth from the ppl then log onto Facebook Petition to put Sheldon Sharpless back on the air at WPHB Radio... and see what not only Sheldon's family is saying but fans, follow radio ppl, former WPHB sponsors, and even the former owner of WPHB radio. 1600 People can't ALL be worng!! And by the way... I have never screamed once and even if I did... its the internet how would you know?????

elva, if you knew anything about pennsylvania law, you would know that conversations between employers and employees are privileged and cannot be revealed...in addition, when employers give references, they can only reveal whether that former employee worked for the company or not - nothing about their term of employ, positive or negative. you have castigated me for knowing nothing about the situation or philipsburg - on the contrary, i have been a part of the radio business, on-the-air, sales or marketing for the last 37 years and know your market well. what jack and coke says is absolutely right - anyone can be fired at any time for any reason without that reason being revealed. i know - it has happened to me more than a few times. and his analysis of the finances of small, daytime AMs is also spot on - if sheldon had been making the station money, he would still be there. i can fully understand your emotional reaction to your uncle's departure from wphb, and your quest for retribution toward those who you feel caused him pain. and your campaign to get him his job back is admirable - you've given this station more publicity than it has had in years. so why not leverage that acclaim into something positive? if you destroy the station, i can't imagine anyone will want to keep it on the air as a classic country outlet - and sheldon will still be unemployed. it makes more sense to try to deal with the current management and get the advertisers who have canceled to agree to buy a one year contract to
support a new sheldon morning show, then approach bob and say "put him back on the air and you can make money doing it" - seems like a win-win situation. the way you're going now, everybody loses. whatever your decision, i wish you and you family peace - and some perspective.

jimmiejames... First I did not start on man the petition page. I did however write on the WPHB Country Roots page my disappointment in Bob for not only firing my Uncle but then lying to his listeners by saying he had retired. I understand you think you know everything there is to know about this situation bc you've b een in radio for so many years. This is beyond just "knowing the business". People didn't listen to WPHB radio for the had cutting nes coverage, or the up dated weather, or even for the cutting edge music.... they (and when I say they I mean myself and the over 1600 ppl who have added theie names to the online petition) listened for SHELDON! His stories and charm and just plain old good American man type of style made ppl turn their radios on every morning. You didn't have to wait for the local paper to find out your old neighbors house had burned down.... nor did you have to call 100 ppl to find out how the family was or if they needed anything. Sheldon would tell you The Jones family is staying with family and that they are in need of clothing and toys for the youngesters. See Jimmiejames you don't get that kind of heart and soul in many broadcasters these days. If you could take the time to just read how Sheldon is loved and adored by his listeners you would see this isn't a plot to ruin WPHB its a quest to show Bob that no matter what "thing" he thinks Sheldon did to warrant being fired.... it could and should have been worked out. I wish you could for 5 minutes talk to anyone who listened to Sheldon's morning show to get any sense of what everyone is trying so hard to get Bob to see. And ass for PA law....understandable but then why does Bob keep asking ppl to come up to the station and talk... from what everyone has seen and heard from him so far he's just an angry man who likes to scream to get his point across. I'm hoping that once his sponsors go and they are leaving everyday, that the owner can take the station back and get things back in order. Bob see's the writing on the wall.... or he wouldn't be so worried and need to attack me personally. In closing.... one older lady that has listened to my Uncle for years and years and years said it best.... She said "today I turned my radio off for the first time in years and placed a black ribbon around it and sat it on my front porch, today the music died". Pretty devoted listeners? huh? You don't get that too offen in this world today! Sad that Bob couldn't see what Sheldon meant to some of the older ppl in our area that he was the only friend they had that was talking to them every morning.... but its too late. Take care jimmiejames and figure out that money doesn't rule the world and everything isn't just black and white like you think it is!

no, everything isn't black and white. but everything isn't as you portray it - it's a shame
you won't look past your anger and hurt and try to work with bob - it's the only way sheldon
will ever get back on the air...

This thread is turning into an endless fight and is starting to degenerate into a set of personality clashes of the kind that will cause the moderator (that's not me, btw) to either end it or move it to the "take it outside" section where it will further devalue. As the guy who started this discusion on the board I urge my fellow posters to remain constructive whether you support the station lessee's action or are hurt and angry about Sheldon's dismissal.

We all know: (1) the firing was handled badly, (2) the lessee is entitled to change staff, even in a ham handed way, that (3) he "can't" discuss it because anything he says in public can be turned into legal trouble, that (4) Sheldon is a local legend and fast becoming a local hero (5) is a fine broadcaster (6) is a deservedly beloved human being, (7) is moral and upright and (8) belongs on the air as long as he wishes to be on the air.

But, guys, we can honor Sheldon by keeping this thread focused and positive. I'm no "stranger" to controversy, but we're driving this thread too close to the edge.

Jimmiejames... it's pretty clear that you're a "Bob Fan". I am not angry... I'm just stating the facts for my uncle who isn't very good at this whole internet thing (his words). I have sat with him and he has told me word for word everything that has taken place during this whole situation. You, not knowing Sheldon Sharpless, wouldn't know that he is an honorable man. He is looked upon in this community as an icon. I have known him all my life and know he wouldn't ever lie not even to save his own job. And I totally agree with Stranger who started this feed... so this will be my last post. By the way I did ask Bob again for a meeting and NO WORD from him again!! Good bye!!

Somebody should have Sharpless get in touch with me. What's his e-mail? His phone number is unlisted. I haven't seen this much action on a thread since Cary Simpson sold out one of his "local" operations.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom