• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Seventeen Hundred

Will they just be a footnote in the book of Miami radio history?
Will someone else try to put something on 1.7MHz?
Does anyone come booming in at night on 176.5 meters?
I do not have a decent(ly) working AM radio.
Maybe lots of TIR and part fifteen stations will fill the void.<P ID="signature">______________
Proud 2 B a pioneering satellite radio subs¢riber
Ai4i is always on the trailing edge of technology
______________</P>

> Will they just be a footnote in the book of Miami radio
> history?
> Will someone else try to put something on 1.7MHz?

The license was returned and deleted, as MRBI chose to keep the legacy 1210 instead.

I believe there have been, for a very long time, other people 'waiting in the wings' for EB allotments that I would suppose will now become free with those that have been deleted or never were.

> > Will they just be a footnote in the book of Miami radio
> > history? Will someone else try to put something on 1.7MHz?

> The license was returned and deleted, as MRBI chose to keep
> the legacy 1210 instead.
> I believe there have been, for a very long time, other
> people 'waiting in the wings' for EB allotments that I would
> suppose will now become free with those that have been
> deleted or never were.

This doesn't really have anything to do specifically with 1700 AM, but rather the entire expanded AM band (1610-1700).

I was surprised to learn (via the Tampa board) that car dealerships (particularly Honda) are actually broadcasting commercials for their vehicles in continuous loop on some of these AM frequencies. These signals are apparently coming from billboards of all places, and motorists can actually receive them from within an intersection to even several miles away !

I've never heard of such a thing before. I wonder if any South Florida Honda dealerships are doing this ?

THE MAJOR

Radio Cadillac

> I was surprised to learn (via the Tampa board).....I wonder if any
> South Florida Honda dealerships are doing this ?

In early 2001, to promote their "Escalade", actually, a series of billboards popped up, both in Tampa *and* South Fla. (probably other places) just like the ones you described. Really cheesy "Radio Cadillac, with Rex and Roy", or something like that...The audio was so bad it was sometimes difficult to hear it....I remember there was one on the Turnpike near where about the Hard Rock sits today, and another one in Hialeah, around where Best Buy is...Actually the one in Hialeah was on 1550 AM, because WRHC was dark at the time, believe it or not.

The Tampa ones came on the air somewhat mysteriously...They were first heard as "Fontana Plaza Radio", airing a loop advertising a shopping center outside of Los Angeles, and really puzzling some radiophiles in the Bay Area as they heard ads for stores and businesses in a strip mall in California!! Apparently this was the mini-transmitter's 'default setting', as eventually the billboard did turn up, and the message was changed to fit "Radio Cadillac", and the "Escalade" promotion.

Check the Philly board because there is apparently another similar one broadcasting as well at this time from there.

Re: Radio Cadillac

Scion has them up in South Florida on billboards. Looped commercials. There are two on the turnpike in Broward and one in Dade.

> This doesn't really have anything to do specifically with
> 1700 AM, but rather the entire expanded AM band (1610-1700).
>
> I was surprised to learn (via the Tampa board) that car
> dealerships (particularly Honda) are actually broadcasting
> commercials for their vehicles in continuous loop on some of
> these AM frequencies. These signals are apparently coming
> from billboards of all places, and motorists can actually
> receive them from within an intersection to even several
> miles away !
>
> I've never heard of such a thing before. I wonder if any
> South Florida Honda dealerships are doing this ?

Florida had a lot of them a few years ago. Plus
some new ones. See Terry Krueger's excellent
FLORIDA LOW POWER RADIO STATIONS site:
http://home.earthlink.net/~tocobagadx/flortis.html

Search the file for dealer.

73s<P ID="signature">______________
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die." ...Mel Brooks</P>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom