• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Selling during Stagflation

I've been watching and waiting for someone to ask the questions, "How do I sell ads when the economy is going South?", "How do you make more money when everyone else is making less?", "My competition is giving it away, what do I do?". Alas, there may be no one left in the industry who even knows how to ask these questions. Anyway, while general geographic boards seem to be for sniping and he said/she said, the "pro's" board seems to be where questions and concerns are discussed and where you can find help.

So, does anyone have any questions or problems that we can help you solve? ???

Stagflation is a term that came about in the late 70's/early 80's that is used to describe an economic period when the unemployment rate AND interest rates are rising together. That's what is beginning to happen folks, as soon as the FED quits trying to save their buddies in the financial sector they will have to raise rates to slow inflation. For radio sales, inflation should mean that you can raise rates AND get clients to lock in those rates for longer contracts (to guard against the rates going up even more).

Two words -Sell Ideas!

Sell ideas and drive your listeners to your clients. People are still spending money. Ditch ratings and all that radio crap. You need to create direct response ads. advertise sales special events and so on.

Your clients are hurting now, if you can be honest and help them you'll help people and make money. Don't listen to your sales manager. They all lie. You won't find much from the RAB. Your best ideas will come from your clients and other sales people. Brain storm with other reps. Make more contacts by phone and in person. Call 50 or more people a day by phone plus in person calls. You have to do more. They spend money with reps who they think can help them.

CLINETS BUY FOR THEIR REASONS AND NOT YOURS OR YOUR SALES MANAGER.

Check out http://wendyweiss.com/sales_training_tools.html

she has many great free tips for cold calling

You need compelling reasons why they should part with their money.

Good luck.. ask more questions.

As I feared, the folks in sales are so new and so green it looks like they can't even formulate a question or don't even know where to go in looking for help. Hope someone remembers to turn off the light.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom