• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Seattle TV News February 2018

Was in town the past couple of days and had an opportunity to observe local media, both radio and tv. For anyone who cares, here is my assessment of local tv news based on viewing 2/6-2/8. These are just my opinions only, feel free to add on or disagree!

FOX (KCPQ) Q13

Graphics/Set/Overall Look: A-
newer set, modern, updated graphics, nice variable backgrounds

Talent: B+
solid overall, Marni Hughs is top-notch, so is David Rose, but the chemistry seems to be lacking. Walter Kelly is solid with weather. Morning Show continues to click with Liz Dueweke as the star, and was very impressed with Brian Flores. He should go far.

Overall: A-

CBS (KIRO) KIRO7

Graphics/Set/Overall Look: A-
Similar set to KCPQ, very NW in feel, graphics fine, best intro in market

The 5pm team (Raible/Ming Laven) are capable. The anchor who really shines is Dave Wagner, IMO. He is a total pro and just has a very nice presence.

ABC (KOMO) KomoNews

Grahics/Set/Overall Look: A+
Not only is the best set in the market, they are not afraid to show it off unlike the competition. Grahics are simple, but clear and concise.

While KOMO has been rebuilding, they have done well with Steve Poole, and Eric Johnson (now the station vets), and Mary Nam, who gets better every year. Morgan Chesky is definitely an up and comer.

NBC (KING) King5News

Graphics/Set/Overall Look: C+
Doing the best they can with the limited space and odd streetview studio. Continues to miss the mark. Also noted, they have dropped the Tegna standard graphics with a much more standard look, perhaps due to the Olympics?

Talent: B-
Mark Wright is professional and capable, Lori Matsukawa is now certainly a market vet, Amanda Grace is good, and David Espinosa-Hall, comes across as very serious, perhaps a future network reporter. Joyce Taylor is the star in the morning.

Overall: I will give them the benefit of the doubt with a B-.

Again, just my opinions as a longtime Seattle tv news watcher. Feel free to add yours!

Does anyone know what the ratings are for the local news? Who's #1, #2, #3? Morning, Evening, and 11:00 PM? I can't find it published anywhere. Thanks.

Does anyone know what the ratings are for the local news? Who's #1, #2, #3? Morning, Evening, and 11:00 PM? I can't find it published anywhere. Thanks.

True, difficult to find today. There was a time (80's & 90's) where newspapers would regularly keep track of tv ratings, but that seems to have gone by the wayside. Sometimes you can find station websites, social media, etc. that post their own successes, but obviously only show their highlights, avoiding anything negative. Even "TV Spy" focuses more on social media ratings than actual station on-air ratings.

That said, my understanding is KCQP owns the #1 position in the mornings. KIRO did well in the evening in 2017, and KING had fallen. Since then, not sure.

RELATED: a thread from last years on the topic: https://www.radiodiscussions.com/showthread.php?701950-KIRO-1-in-Evening-News-Ratings-in-April

You are being generous giving KING a B-. Sometimes it feels like I'm watching a college station. It's better than what it was a year ago, but it just doesn't compare to the other stations in the market, which is a real shame given the history KING has of being a news leader. KING still uses the Tegna standard graphics... it's just that they are new standard graphics. You will find them on other Tegna stations as well. Finally, Espinosa-Hall just comes across as too stiff to be a good anchor. I agree that he'd make a great future network reporter. But maybe he will grow into the role.

NBC (KING) King5News

Graphics/Set/Overall Look: C+
Doing the best they can with the limited space and odd streetview studio. Continues to miss the mark. Also noted, they have dropped the Tegna standard graphics with a much more standard look, perhaps due to the Olympics?

Talent: B-
Mark Wright is professional and capable, Lori Matsukawa is now certainly a market vet, Amanda Grace is good, and David Espinosa-Hall, comes across as very serious, perhaps a future network reporter. Joyce Taylor is the star in the morning.

Overall: I will give them the benefit of the doubt with a B-.

Again, just my opinions as a longtime Seattle tv news watcher. Feel free to add yours!

You are being generous giving KING a B-. Sometimes it feels like I'm watching a college station. It's better than what it was a year ago, but it just doesn't compare to the other stations in the market, which is a real shame given the history KING has of being a news leader. KING still uses the Tegna standard graphics... it's just that they are new standard graphics. You will find them on other Tegna stations as well. Finally, Espinosa-Hall just comes across as too stiff to be a good anchor. I agree that he'd make a great future network reporter. But maybe he will grow into the role.

Speaking of TEGNA graphics, the "UP NXT" (coming up after the break) is just plain wrong.

True, difficult to find today. There was a time (80's & 90's) where newspapers would regularly keep track of tv ratings, but that seems to have gone by the wayside. Sometimes you can find station websites, social media, etc. that post their own successes, but obviously only show their highlights, avoiding anything negative. Even "TV Spy" focuses more on social media ratings than actual station on-air ratings.

That said, my understanding is KCQP owns the #1 position in the mornings. KIRO did well in the evening in 2017, and KING had fallen. Since then, not sure.

RELATED: a thread from last years on the topic: https://www.radiodiscussions.com/showthread.php?701950-KIRO-1-in-Evening-News-Ratings-in-April

Thank you!

Kind of ironic that the most frequent critics of radio and TV in the Seattle-Tacoma market, don't even live there.

Kind of ironic that the most frequent critics of radio and TV in the Seattle-Tacoma market, don't even live there.

Yes, Kelly, but with today's access/tech anyone can watch anywhere anytime. I personally grew up in the Seattle market and spent my first 30 years there, and while I don't live there anymore, I still have interest. Nothin' wrong with that, right? BTW, are you not also far away from the Seattle market?

Yes, Kelly, but with today's access/tech anyone can watch anywhere anytime. I personally grew up in the Seattle market and spent my first 30 years there, and while I don't live there anymore, I still have interest. Nothin' wrong with that, right? BTW, are you not also far away from the Seattle market?

This is basically me, as well.

I'm still getting connected to my new city, a year and a half in. I don't watch the local news as much because I don't have a vested interest in the local news and politics. And while I've been gone from Seattle for a while, I still follow closely the news and politics in the region, because its my home, and I've been following some of these issues since I was 14.

This is basically me, as well.

I'm still getting connected to my new city, a year and a half in. I don't watch the local news as much because I don't have a vested interest in the local news and politics. And while I've been gone from Seattle for a while, I still follow closely the news and politics in the region, because its my home, and I've been following some of these issues since I was 14.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your thesis. Where we grew up will always be a part of us. Nothing unusual there. I grew up in Seattle, (yes inside the city limits!), and I will always have an interest in what happens there. It is quite normal. Where you were born and raised is an important part of your DNA, and if you don't care about it then you are not really a compassionate human.

Yes, Kelly, but with today's access/tech anyone can watch anywhere anytime. I personally grew up in the Seattle market and spent my first 30 years there, and while I don't live there anymore, I still have interest. Nothin' wrong with that, right?
Nothing wrong with having an opinion, true. Better yet, if the opinion was based on something current or accurate information.

BTW, are you not also far away from the Seattle market?

I have homes on both coasts. One in Hoodsport, WA. (part of the Seattle-Tacoma market) and one near Washington DC. Personally, I try to avoid making negative comments against radio or TV stations in either markets, especially if I'm going on older observations.

Rhonda Lee who was the meteorologist for King 5s 5, 7 & 9 pm newscasts is no longer with the station her last day on air was January 25th. Apparently She was informed that her contract wasn't being renewed and from watching a fb live she did the other day a consultant didn't care for her looks.

Judging by the FB comments (over 180 and counting) Rhonda was much loved and everyone saw this as a mistake on KING 5's part. With all due respect she wasn't on my radar as I jumped off the K5 bandwagon a few years ago. I guess the adage of rent don't buy applies to weather forecasters as well.

Rhonda Lee who was the meteorologist for King 5s 5, 7 & 9 pm newscasts is no longer with the station her last day on air was January 25th. Apparently She was informed that her contract wasn't being renewed and from watching a fb live she did the other day a consultant didn't care for her looks.

I liked Rhonda when she was on the weekend morning newscasts. I think she added personality to what can be a relatively boring newscast.

I hope she finds another opportunity.

Nothing wrong with having an opinion, true. Better yet, if the opinion was based on something current or accurate information.

I have homes on both coasts. One in Hoodsport, WA. (part of the Seattle-Tacoma market) and one near Washington DC. Personally, I try to avoid making negative comments against radio or TV stations in either markets, especially if I'm going on older observations.

And, yet, you post here regularly...

And, yet, you post here regularly...

True! And...because I split time between two markets, I avoid making negative comments about TV or Radio programming, because I'm not always up to date with what that programming is. Also, having worked in this business my entire working career, I personally don't feel the need to trash my peers or colleagues, no matter who they currently work for.

I don't think many on here "trash" particular talent, rather offer some observations of how they are being perceived. That is a huge difference.

That said, my original post was more about intangibles, such as sets, graphics, and talent perceptions. Which, btw, is done on a corporate level consistently, so it is open game when it comes to commentary.

True! And...because I split time between two markets, I avoid making negative comments about TV or Radio programming, because I'm not always up to date with what that programming is. Also, having worked in this business my entire working career, I personally don't feel the need to trash my peers or colleagues, no matter who they currently work for.

And you do add many appreciated "behind-the-scenes" insights here.

I am also one of those who no longer lives in Seattle full time. I think what we bring to the table is the longer term changes in the market. I can also compare it to other similar markets. But I do realize that my current impressions will be based on watching a "few" newscasts that may not be an accurate sample. So, take my comments with a grain of salt.

Judging by the FB comments (over 180 and counting) Rhonda was much loved and everyone saw this as a mistake on KING 5's part. With all due respect she wasn't on my radar as I jumped off the K5 bandwagon a few years ago. I guess the adage of rent don't buy applies to weather forecasters as well.

"Rent don't buy" definitely applies to forecasters at KING5 since TEGNA took over...

Jeff Renner
Lisa Van Cise
Mary Lee
Jim Guy
Keisha Burns
Rhonda Lee

As for Rhonda ... I thought she was decent. She was another high energy meterologist, a little more relaxed than Jordan Steele, but of a similar style. As I've mentioned before, I find that style hard to handle on a day to day basis, but she was pretty good at it.

It's been hinted around here that things are not well at KING5... bad set, poor production, talent turnover, etc. Not sure how this is translating to the ratings, but ... as I mentioned, when they set up the new evening anchor pairings, it looked like they were really trying to mix and match different talent and styles. That may not be working out, and she could be the first casualty (it sounded like there was an early out option or something in her contract, and KING exercised it abruptly). They've had 18 months of the current line-up; that's long enough to know how it is working out.

Last edited:
I'm surprised TEGNA hasn't taken out Rich Marriott yet, knowing he's been doing morning WX for 20(?) years...glad he's still there! But in general KING is a shell of what they were under Belo at 333 Dexter (when I was living in the Seattle area). Viewers want decent talent with plenty of experience, and a set that looks decent enough in terms of curb appeal. TEGNA continuing to take out anchors and forecasters after just a few years isn't going to cut it in one of the largest markets in the nation.
But at least 4, 7 and 13 enjoy what's going on! Their ratings are rising!

OT: Kelly, didn't know you live in Hoodsport. Beautiful place. Rented out a cabin a few times north of Lilliwaup...always came home with oysters off the beach in low tide!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom