• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Seattle-Tacoma Radio Ratings: Holiday 2023

Covering the survey period from Thu. 12/7/2023 thru Wed. 1/3/2024, age 6+ overall:
-OR-

Top 5+ demo rankings analysis from Research Director Inc. will be available on Thu. 1/25/2024.

Is that the closest 94.1 has come to eclipsing the Mighty WARM on the Christmas format? KCMS didn't even come close...2.2?! PFFT! Normally during Christmas, isn't 105.3 closer to the top 5-10? I guess secular Christmas music continues to rule Seattle...and not 'O Holy Night' or 'Go Tell it On the Mountain.' I'd like to see some holiday ratings from Southern or conservative-leaning markets, and see if the CCM stations are closer to the top.

I haven't kept track - did WARM run the novelty lineup of 'Stop the Calvary,' 'Sippin' in Seattle's Latte-Land' and/or 'Christmas in the NW' this year? Doubtful.

That is interesting that KCMS didn't get a bump at all. I continue to wonder about KPNW. When they can only pull a 1 share on a good month and are at a 0.6 this month, how long can they last? Even the all network sports station beat them this month!

That is interesting that KCMS didn't get a bump at all. I continue to wonder about KPNW. When they can only pull a 1 share on a good month and are at a 0.6 this month, how long can they last? Even the all network sports station beat them this month!
'Sleighbells ring, no one's listenin...'

Top 5+ demo rankings analysis from Research Director Inc.:

25-54: 1. KRWM 2. KKWF 3. KSWD (up from #7) 4. KISW 5. KQMV 6. KZOK 8T. KBKS 8T. KHTP
18-34: 1. KRWM 2. KZOK 3T. KKWF 3T. KHTP (up from #6) 5. KQMV
_______ 7T. KISW 7T. KJAQ 10. KSWD (up from #15)
18-49: 1. KRWM 2. KKWF 3. KQMV 4T. KHTP (up from #7) 4T. KSWD (up from #9)
_______ 6. KZOK (down from #2) 7. KISW 8. KBKS

*Note: in the Holiday 2022 survey, KRWM held the same #1 demo posistions
while KSWD was #3 in 25-54; #3 in 18-34 + #3 in 18-49.

25-54: 1. KRWM 2. KKWF 3. KSWD (up from #7) 4. KISW 5. KQMV 6. KZOK 8T. KBKS 8T. KHTP

And allow me to point out that among the scoreboard listed, only ONE of the top five was doing full-time frigging Christmas music.
Hopefully, that will make it simpler for the 'Christmas Kreskin' predictors starting in October.

KCMS not even in the top 8 on any of those age brackets. Has K-LOVE 104.5 'stolen' some of their audience with their national programming? We won't know because EMF doesn't subscribe.

Well, as the experts keep reminding us, one would have to look at the target demos to really determine how the owners feel the station is actually doing.

How are KPNW-FM doing in their target demos? Are the lower ratings still working for the station's business model? And Hubbard may be looking at that demographic spread factor. Maybe KPNW reaches a segment that KQMV doesn't.

KCMS not even in the top 8 on any of those age brackets. Has K-LOVE 104.5 'stolen' some of their audience with their national programming? We won't know because EMF doesn't subscribe.
Or, maybe the overall listening to Christian programming is down. Remember to them, none of the 'sportifying' of radio via 6+ ratings on this site means squat. To EMF, are they receiving donations from certain zip codes? For Crista, are they selling enough spots and receiving donations?

Last edited:

That's interesting. I would have thought that CHR should be targeted at 18-34, yet KBKS does best in 25-54.

That's interesting. I would have thought that CHR should be targeted at 18-34, yet KBKS does best in 25-54.
That’s an interesting statistic. I wonder if 106.1 performs better in that age group because there are many people (likely in their thirties) who grew up with 106.1 being the go-to station for CHR. Obviously 92.5 came along and took over the #1 spot, but 106.1 used to be king.

That’s an interesting statistic. I wonder if 106.1 performs better in that age group because there are many people (likely in their thirties) who grew up with 106.1 being the go-to station for CHR. Obviously 92.5 came along and took over the #1 spot, but 106.1 used to be king.
106.1 KBKS used to be King? - When exactly was that?

106.1 KBKS used to be King? - When exactly was that?
I’m not sure on the exact dates, but I want to say that 106.1 was, by far, the CHR leader in the 2000’s. I don’t think they had any real competition , as 92.5 was leaning into rhythmic music at that time. That began to change after 2010 or so, where 92.5 started to dominate. I was in school at that time, and remember a lot of people I knew listening to 106.1.

I’m not sure on the exact dates, but I want to say that 106.1 was, by far, the CHR leader in the 2000’s. I don’t think they had any real competition , as 92.5 was leaning into rhythmic music at that time. That began to change after 2010 or so, where 92.5 started to dominate. I was in school at that time, and remember a lot of people I knew listening to 106.1.
I would think that distinction belonged to KUBE but really, 1090 "used" to be KING! ;)

I still remember when KING-FM used to have commercial breaks. ;) They went non-comm in 2011 if I recall.

I would think that distinction belonged to KUBE but really, 1090 "used" to be KING! ;)
If using the strict definition of "Mainstream CHR", then you could say that KBKS had the field to itself in the 2000s.
But as semoochie notes, KUBE (Rhythmic CHR) was the leader, usually by a comfortable margin.

Fall 1999 - Fall 2008:

I loved KZOK's 1025 song countdown between Christmas-New Years. It was great hearing The Tubes, Sweet, Grateful Dead, Allman Brothers, some unplayed Stones and Hendrix. I knew I wouldn't be hearing Bohemian Rhapsody and Renegade (yay!) until we got to the top 385. But because I liked it, I'm sure they're everyday listeners didn't

Back
Top Bottom