• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Seattle Area LPFM Applications

Seconded. Nobody in Tacoma will listen to these stations. UW Bothell won't get an audience from 105.7 either. The non-comm listeners already love KEXP to death (well, except for Tacoma, where 90.3 is now K-LOVE'd out).

Seconded. Nobody in Tacoma will listen to these stations. UW Bothell won't get an audience from 105.7 either. The non-comm listeners already love KEXP to death (well, except for Tacoma, where 90.3 is now K-LOVE'd out).
And that's the thing; people who live in Tacoma don't care whether a station is broadcasting from Tacoma. The market(s) consolidated years ago. Now you have just radio stations.

Tacoma radio was relevant in the days of KTAC-850 and KNBQ-97.3. But that's been 35 years and then some. All Cougar and Tiger stations do well, plus there's probably some KAYO and MIXX listeners in that mix (no pun intended). Can't remember if 94.5 Roxy's signal does well down there, but that's another possibility.

Tacoma radio was relevant in the days of KTAC-850 and KNBQ-97.3. But that's been 35 years and then some. All Cougar and Tiger stations do well, plus there's probably some KAYO and MIXX listeners in that mix (no pun intended). Can't remember if 94.5 Roxy's signal does well down there, but that's another possibility.
Not particularly. I think 94.5 is already being used for some other sort of translator. As I recall, it sounds pretty rough unless you’re in Thurston or Mason counties.

On the original topic, these LPs will show up, and likely leave as quickly as they were built.

Last edited:
Doesn't UW Bothell already have a 104.9, or was that never built? Also, I'm a bit surprised nobody applied for 95.3, that was really the only frequency I was expecting to go in Seattle in this window.

No, 94.5 KRXY does not do well in Tacoma. It's okay in DuPont and marginal by Lakewood. I want to say it is not really listenable on a car radio somewhere around S 38th St, but it might go a little further depending on how good your car radio is.

Doesn't UW Bothell already have a 104.9, or was that never built? Also, I'm a bit surprised nobody applied for 95.3, that was really the only frequency I was expecting to go in Seattle in this window.
Yesterday while driving on I-5 north of the Military Road exit in Sea Tac, modulated silence came up on 95.3, but there's nothing in the FCC database for a new station. Someone is experimenting on it.

It could also be a pirate that turns itself on after sunset for synchronized Christmas lights. We have a 93.3 in Yakima that has been on for several nights with mostly R&B Christmas music. They have a good reach, more than part 15 power.

Christmas is typically when pirates show up. Put a transmitter on the air, do your radio Christmas party thing, shut it off until next year seems to be the pattern, not continuous broadcasting. I guess it's presumed safest to do it on this holiday.

Notes from Recnet on the 2 Tacoma applications.

Tacoma Hilltop Foundation - "Application of Concern. GL Original filing did not include any governance documents. A search of the Washington SOS shows no organization. If this organization was incorporated in a different state, then the application needs to be amended to include the governance document (with an incorporation date on or before 12-15-23). In the alternate, no documents are included that justify a claim of an unincorporated association. ALSO GL Original application is second-adjacent channel short spaced to KNKX. No waiver request. Original application is short-spaced to TV6 station KYMU-LD with no technical showing or consent letter. "

Tahoma Preservation - "Application of Concern. GL Original application is second-adjacent channel short-spaced to KQMV and KJR-FM with no waiver request. Also GL Original application does not include any governance documents. A search of the Washington SOS shows no organization. If this organization was incorporated in a different state, then the application needs to be amended to include the governance document (with an incorporation date on or before 12-15-23). In the alternate, no documents are included that justify a claim of an unincorporated association."

Notes from Recnet on the 2 Tacoma applications.

Tacoma Hilltop Foundation - "Application of Concern. GL Original filing did not include any governance documents. A search of the Washington SOS shows no organization. If this organization was incorporated in a different state, then the application needs to be amended to include the governance document (with an incorporation date on or before 12-15-23). In the alternate, no documents are included that justify a claim of an unincorporated association. ALSO GL Original application is second-adjacent channel short spaced to KNKX. No waiver request. Original application is short-spaced to TV6 station KYMU-LD with no technical showing or consent letter. "

Tahoma Preservation - "Application of Concern. GL Original application is second-adjacent channel short-spaced to KQMV and KJR-FM with no waiver request. Also GL Original application does not include any governance documents. A search of the Washington SOS shows no organization. If this organization was incorporated in a different state, then the application needs to be amended to include the governance document (with an incorporation date on or before 12-15-23). In the alternate, no documents are included that justify a claim of an unincorporated association."
Hey, at least they seem to be consistent with other's who want to play radio but not follow instructions.

Just like Brian Spencer! I'm glad justice is finally being served to his 'organization' or whatever the heck it is.

Tacoma LPFM's:

92.9 was previously licensed to the Northwest Leadership Foundation as KNLI-LP (Waller). They were rarely on, lost their transmitter site and eventually stopped responding to the FCC. License cancelled in March of 2023. The station is now DKNLI-LP.

95.3 is licensed to KTQA-LP (Tacoma). Last time I heard them it was old radio dramas back to back. Perhaps that is what was heard on 95.3; KTQA with dead air due to an automation failure.

101.9 is licensed to KTAH-LP (Tacoma). Last heard with locally produced (for the most part) progressive news and public affairs.

Val

And all three of those stations are complete wastes of spectrum. News and public affairs programming? Everyone listens to KNKX or KUOW for that (especially KUOW). But KUOW does suffer from a lot of multipath in south Tacoma and University Place. Nobody's listening to old Jack Benny programs on FM either!

Although the radio version of Gunsmoke could be a hit.

And all three of those stations are complete wastes of spectrum. News and public affairs programming? Everyone listens to KNKX or KUOW for that (especially KUOW). But KUOW does suffer from a lot of multipath in south Tacoma and University Place. Nobody's listening to old Jack Benny programs on FM either!
Most LPFM is a waste of spectrum (apart from very specific situations). In a very small community, a LP could theoretically provide a unique service. In a metropolitan area, it does nothing.

Back
Top Bottom