• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Savannah: WHHW (96.1 The Island) Flipped From Triple A To Oldies? When Did It Happen?

I've been away from Savannah from a while but just happened to notice that WHHW is no longer Adult Album Alternative; it's now playing essentially what WGCO did when it was Oldies 98.3/98.3 COOL FM. The last three songs were "Secret Agent Man", "It's A Beautiful Morning", and "Sweet Soul Music".

Was this format flip done by Alpha before Dick Broadcasting bought the station, or by Dick?

I've never thought much of the idea of switching from standards to AAA. That couldn't have mad people happy. Depending on the type of oldies, this might be an improvement.

Two oldies stations where I live wouldn't exactly be an improvement. One is Good Time Oldies and the other does their music themselves but has recently "updated" it. Asheville NC has a great oldies station on an HD channel and translator, and if that is what this is like, it could be a good thing.

When I was in Savannah last there was an oldies on 106.5 it could be heard in Richmond Hill with interference from WMCD 106.5 a Statesboro station. Radio-Locator shows the transmitter being in Bluffton SC. Also it may be a translator of Sc 103 103.1. Seems like it mentioned 99.1 in the ID also.
https://radio-locator.com/info/W293BZ-FX?loc=32.05071,-81.10376&locn=Savannah, Georgia

But as for me I like the oldies music and wish we had more stations that played 50's and 60's.

When I was in Savannah last there was an oldies on 106.5 it could be heard in Richmond Hill with interference from WMCD 106.5 a Statesboro station. Radio-Locator shows the transmitter being in Bluffton SC. Also it may be a translator of Sc 103 103.1. Seems like it mentioned 99.1 in the ID also.
https://radio-locator.com/info/W293BZ-FX?loc=32.05071,-81.10376&locn=Savannah, Georgia

But as for me I like the oldies music and wish we had more stations that played 50's and 60's.
This is not the good kind of oldies. You should hear the HD channel in Asheville.

I decided to see if this station had an online stream, and when I did, "All Right Now" by Free was playing.

People who liked WLOW prior to 2005 must not be happy right now. At least WHHW was probably doing something worth hearing before the switch to AAA.

I read about the so-called "Easy" station. It's a little more uptempo than Easy 105.9 in Myrtle Beach but the newer songs aren't there and it's not as extreme in either direction. Not exactly what WLOW fans are looking for.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom