• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Sangean HDR-19

New Sangean AM/FM HD table/clock-radio HDR-19.

Looks like it ticks a lot of boxes with a great looking new wood cabinet design, internal AM ferrite antenna and external AM antenna terminal, Bluetooth and analog AUX-inputs, headphone jack, dual alarms, loudness and EQ settings.

Release date February 2024. It's up for pre-order at Amazon already.

HDR-19.jpg

Still waiting for a new component HD radio for the system in my bedroom. On the main system in the living room I have a DaySequerra in my rack.

HDR-16 is pretty cool for FM and HD, and it's a small boombox, so you get stereo from the speakers, and it's small enough to be portable and big enough to serve as a kitchen radio or one for the den. Not so sure about a $300 HD radio, I think that kind of pricing is what kept HD Radio from taking off to begin with. I remember seeing some HD Radios in 2009 or so at Fry's, and they were too expensive, especially when you couldn't hear the HD radio inside the store.

Not so sure about a $300 HD radio, I think that kind of pricing is what kept HD Radio from taking off to begin with.

Right, one of the first HD radios in this class, the Boston Recepter HD, launched at $300 16 years ago. At that time it was a first-gen novelty item with the kind of price tag that usually comes with leading edge tech products. But an AM/FM table radio today? You can buy an Echo Dot that's a hundred times more useful for a tenth of the price.

The HDR-19 will inevitably drop in price after its initial launch, but it will have to compete with smart speakers and all the other new tech that shoppers want now. It's a nice looking unit but there's going to be a very niche market for such a pricey clock radio in 2024.

Radio looks nice but not for 300$

Still waiting for a new component HD radio for the system in my bedroom. On the main system in the living room I have a DaySequerra in my rack.
Doesn’t Sangean still make those? Maybe not a brand new model, but what features could be added? Also is there a market for it? I still have one from 15 years ago that still works, but it’s been in a closet for some time.

Find an HDT1.. cheaper, can be hd on ebay... and if youre a DXer does RDS well and handles very nearby strong signals very well. i saw a side by side test of the hdt20 and hjdt1.. and the 1 was better
HDT-1 audio levels run hot. The HDT-1X was much better (I still have mine; should get it out since there are five HD AM stations in Denver).

5 AMs in HD in one market is a lot. Market #1, NYC has exactly zero. OK technically one out in the suburbs.
Four of them are Crawford; one is Pillar of Fire's KPOF, which is about to acquire two FMs, so it will be interesting to see if they keep the HD broadcast on AM.

Back
Top Bottom