• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

SanDIego1700

I turned on Mark Larson this morning on the "new" San Diego 1700 and was kind of impressed at Mark's premiere show. As I've said in the past, as much as I've liked Rick Roberts, listening to someone so grumpy first thing in the morning is hard. He was much better when he had "CJ" the news gal during the first hour of the show discussing news headlines, etc....he really "softened" him....and made his show more attractive.

It alsol boggles my mind how they've really loaded up commercials in between the news and the actual start of the show with so much crap....there is no adjacency and I can hear that with all of the 4-5 minutes of commercials at the start of the show there are going to be people who are going to be switching off looking for some refuge from the clutter. Also his bumper music is really strange....very disjointed and doesn't flow.

This is going to be a real opportunity for KOGO and now San Diego 1700 to really whittle down Robert's lead.

KOGO already beats KFMB-AM 6-10a with Adults 25-54 which is what they care about

1700 Has no cume or identity known to listeners, nobody
is going to "stumble" upon the station.

Every station in town has started from zero...and with advertising, advertising, promotions, etc. they can build a successful audience. Heck, I still remember when I moved to San Diego 20 years ago when KOGO was simulcasting FM 106....and look where they are now!

It is interesting to note that KFMB-AM has dumped Lars Larson overnights and is bringing on Phil Hendrie 12 a.m.-3 a.m. starting on Monday.

sdwulfdawg said:
Heck, I still remember when I moved to San Diego 20 years ago when KOGO was simulcasting FM 106....and look where they are now!

Actually, before that KOGO was a number one station, especially during baseball season and its history and its prime spot at the left hand side of the dial (on pre-digital radios) pretty much guaranteed that people would stumble across it and, even when it was being programmed poorly, it got a lot of outside promotion. AM 1700 is not at all in the same league nor will it ever be: AM radio stations at that end of the dial have not done well since the Boss Jock days and about the only time anyone tunes into 1700 is when they stop in front of one of those houses with the FOR SALE sign letting you know that if you tune into AM 1700 you can hear info on the house (from a low power transmitter located in the house).

Mark Larson's new radio home is a real sow's ear.

As I understand it, Dennis Miller is going to have an afternoon show, and Michael Reagan will be on in the evenings.

I will be tracking 1700 with great curiosity and interest. They may be able to grab a consistent foothold rating of 0.3 to 0.5 with a little luck and perseverance.

Lussenheide

I tuned in to the new 1700 AM only for 3 minutes until I heard more right wing junk on the air there. As if San Diego needs another conservative bible-thumping broadcaster!

sdwulfdawg said:
It is interesting to note that KFMB-AM has dumped Lars Larson overnights and is bringing on Phil Hendrie 12 a.m.-3 a.m. starting on Monday.

That is more of a TRN ploy ... as KFMB has to carry certain radio shows .... with TRN. Not that Phil is a bad choice (except for time slot).

jprg said:
I tuned in to the new 1700 AM only for 3 minutes until I heard more right wing junk on the air there. As if San Diego needs another conservative bible-thumping broadcaster!

So I guess that the only stuff that isn't junk is Error Amerika? Oh puhleeze....

I hate for this to go beyond this, but like has so many times been uttered, why is it that "liberals" (and I consider myself to be an independent) always yell and scream about tolerance, yet are intolerant of allowing others to have divergent views and denigrate it to being "junk"?

Media Hack Chris | SDR said:
sdwulfdawg said:

That is more of a TRN ploy ... as KFMB has to carry certain radio shows .... with TRN. Not that Phil is a bad choice (except for time slot).

Jerry Doyle is on TRN, and Lars Larsen is Westwood One (why he got them as a syndicator one will never know). Phil Hendrie is TRN. Apparently 1700 is clearing Lars Larsen for more hours than KFMB did. Phil Hendrie apparently will be live for the midnight hour (the last hour of the show) and then is on delay at 1 a.m. and 2 a.m. hours.
I caught Lars Larsen on SanDiego1700 last night between midnight and till I fell asleep.... :)

Sdwulfdawg, if you're really an independent, then what's so errorneous about Air America?

All jprg was saying is there's a new talk station in town, and it brings nothing new to the table, and nothing new to the largely one-sided political discussion on the people's airwaves, except more programming for the over-saturated scared-white guy market. Really, I can't be the only guy who feels that hyper-agitated corner of the market is already pretty well served, with nearly every AM stick across the country having been hijacked by the loony right the past 20 years.

Sorry to be so hard but San Diego talk radio is so one-sided. I know this is a conservative town but with a handful of right wing stations already on, there is no need for more of them. Fair and balanced?

Its not about politics, its about trends. The trend (cliche?) is to for radio to be conservative, and it is like that in every market right now. Air America is the exception to the rule. Consevatives will argue that the press (MSNBC, CNN) is liberal and that talk radio is their answer. Liberals argue that Air America is the answer to conservative talk radio and Fox.

San Diego is just like every other market in this regard.
And if you think talk radio is lopsided in San Diego, yawl ougtta spend an afternoon listnin' to talk radio in Wess-Texas!

The weakest link on the station right now are the brokered financial shows which they still air. I was really surprised the other day during drive time that they had this financial show....no news headlines...but had traffic reports....

My theory is that in programming you need to have programming that is solid and makes you want to tune in whenever. I caught the financial show where they were hawking their services ad nauseum....so this weekend I have not even tried to listen to see what they're doing since there's a chance I might be getting another financial show.

CONSISTENCY is very important.

I wish they would bring on Glenn Beck.

Re: SanDiego1700

sdwulfdawg said:
I wish they would bring on Glenn Beck.

Won't happen live. He is on from 6 to 9 a.m. Pacific.

I can't understand Beck's appeal. Not only is he wrong on most issues, he is arrogant and condescending. I would think his pomposity would alienate audiences.

Lopaka said:
I can't understand Beck's appeal. Not only is he wrong on most issues, he is arrogant and condescending. I would think his pomposity would alienate audiences.

That are the same comments about KFI's Bill Handel in la LA. He is the number one (English) talk show host; and number one in the 25-54 age group.

Handel is at least a real person, with an in-your-face approach, but it's very L.A. authentic. Beck is sloppy & intellectually inconsistent, with some very strange opinions & a holier-than thou approach I have never heard on secular radio before. Beck has never been able to generate numbers on the west coast either. I heard him go on for 45 minutes why he wouldn't watch the Sopranos, what a bag of hot flatuent air.

Where do these guys go to smile school? They all have the same smug know it all holier than thou smile--Jerry Foulwell, Rush Limbaugh, and Beck. Even if they were right about something occasionally that smugness, that arrogance just rubs me the wrong way. But back to 1700...is there any chance that ESPN might consider a move there? It is a better signal, it would be nice to get ESPN north of I-8.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom