• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Rod Wolfe

P

PennBlue

Where is Roddy Wolfe. He was the best there was here in the Valley....I know he once had an oldies record store in Bethlehem...but where is Roddy now ???? Anyone know ?? He should be hosting and oldies show

HIS STORE WAS CALLED ROCK AND ROLL HEAVEN. I REMEMBERING SKIPPING CLASSES AT LIBERTY HS IN BETHLEHEM AND WALKING UP BROAD ST AND BUYING ALAN PARSONS IROBOT IN 1977. WHAT A HOOT AND WHAT A GREAT GUY!!!

The last time I heard anything about Rod was about 3 1/2 years ago. He was selling used cars down in the Carolinas somewhere.

Oh, brother. One of my bar buddies has been ranting about I-Robot for months now. You probably know him. Initials R.M. Liberty Class of 84. I wont say anymore. Either that will lead you to the water or it wont.

Rod Wolfe Reply - Better Late Than Never

Wow,
A buddy back home in Pa told me he found this thread mentioning me.
I know it's old, but here goes!

Thanks for the kind comments.

Here's some of the stations I worked for "back in the day":

1966-67 WAEB Allentown, Pa
1967-68 WKAP Allentown
1968-69 WEEX Easton, Pa
1969-1974 WCRV Washington, NJ and WFMV-FM Blairstown
1975 - back to WEEX "The BIG X"

I was Program and Music Director at WCRV and then we started WFMV 106.3 FM in Blairstown.
At the time that was the first and only 24 hours a day oldies station in NJ

Next was the oldies store in downtown Bethlehem: Rock And Roll Heaven Oldies.
Dates on that were probably 1975 to Dec. 1979
At the same time I was programming WGPA AM in Bethlehem as an oldies station.
That was way before the Polka King took over and we actually had great ratings for a little daytimer

After that it was The Sunday Night Hall of Fame Show on WKAP, WAEB and again WKAP non-stop 1980 to 1991.
Contrary to rumor, I only got caught up in yet another format change at WKAP in late 1991.
They cancelled the show on a Thursday and refused to let me come in and do one last one Hall of Fame
to say goodbye to some of the most loyal listeners in Lehigh Valley radio history.

I immediately went back to WGPA for The Oldies For Lunch Bunch from 1991 until the week before I moved to South Carolina in Jan. 1993.

Then I was asked to appear for the WODE-Oldies 99 Reunion show in 1999.
That led to a revival of the Sunday Night Hall Of Fame show... FINALLY on FM.. and I recorded shows for them here in South Carolina until
they changed format on Labor Day weekend 2001.

And whomever wrote about selling cars, that was correct.

Radio and oldies were always my passion but I also usually worked another full time job to pay the bills.

When I left Allentown I was the Telecommunications Manager at the old Merchants Bank based in Allentown.
When they got caught up in merger-mania, I accepted a position as Data Network Manager for Fleet Mortgage in Florence, SC

That gig lasted until Washington Mutual bought Fleet Mortgage around 2000 from our parent company Fleet Bank, Boston.
The rest was history. Washington Mutual drove the company into the ground and long left town.

I did sell cars for awhile for something to do.

I also operated an Ebay store for a few years called... what else: Rock And Roll Heaven Oldies.

And yes, I sold thousands of my original vinyl, and of course it was before vinyl started it's remarkable comeback.

So that's it. I'm alive and well and listening to my pride and joy as I type this: my 1956 Seeburg VL200 that I have owned since 1972.

Again, thanks for looking for me and the very kind words!

Rod Wolfe (aka Roddy Wolfe, Roddy on the Radio, etc)
Florence, SC

Rod Wolfe on WEEX

When I was in high school, I used to record the countdowns on WEEX every New Years Eve...on 8-track. I converted them a couple of years ago to mp3s and listen to them at work. I got one from 1975 with Roddy On The Radio doing the Super 75! I miss those days of WEEX! Roddy...if you want a copy, I probably can zip them and email them to you.

Hi Rod, from Susan Buffkin Shine - Co-Worker at Fleet / WAMU, Florence SC

Wow,
A buddy back home in Pa told me he found this thread mentioning me.
I know it's old, but here goes!

Thanks for the kind comments.

Here's some of the stations I worked for "back in the day":

1966-67 WAEB Allentown, Pa
1967-68 WKAP Allentown
1968-69 WEEX Easton, Pa
1969-1974 WCRV Washington, NJ and WFMV-FM Blairstown
1975 - back to WEEX "The BIG X"

I was Program and Music Director at WCRV and then we started WFMV 106.3 FM in Blairstown.
At the time that was the first and only 24 hours a day oldies station in NJ

Next was the oldies store in downtown Bethlehem: Rock And Roll Heaven Oldies.
Dates on that were probably 1975 to Dec. 1979
At the same time I was programming WGPA AM in Bethlehem as an oldies station.
That was way before the Polka King took over and we actually had great ratings for a little daytimer

After that it was The Sunday Night Hall of Fame Show on WKAP, WAEB and again WKAP non-stop 1980 to 1991.
Contrary to rumor, I only got caught up in yet another format change at WKAP in late 1991.
They cancelled the show on a Thursday and refused to let me come in and do one last one Hall of Fame
to say goodbye to some of the most loyal listeners in Lehigh Valley radio history.

I immediately went back to WGPA for The Oldies For Lunch Bunch from 1991 until the week before I moved to South Carolina in Jan. 1993.

Then I was asked to appear for the WODE-Oldies 99 Reunion show in 1999.
That led to a revival of the Sunday Night Hall Of Fame show... FINALLY on FM.. and I recorded shows for them here in South Carolina until
they changed format on Labor Day weekend 2001.

And whomever wrote about selling cars, that was correct.

Radio and oldies were always my passion but I also usually worked another full time job to pay the bills.

When I left Allentown I was the Telecommunications Manager at the old Merchants Bank based in Allentown.
When they got caught up in merger-mania, I accepted a position as Data Network Manager for Fleet Mortgage in Florence, SC

That gig lasted until Washington Mutual bought Fleet Mortgage around 2000 from our parent company Fleet Bank, Boston.
The rest was history. Washington Mutual drove the company into the ground and long left town.

I did sell cars for awhile for something to do.

I also operated an Ebay store for a few years called... what else: Rock And Roll Heaven Oldies.

And yes, I sold thousands of my original vinyl, and of course it was before vinyl started it's remarkable comeback.

So that's it. I'm alive and well and listening to my pride and joy as I type this: my 1956 Seeburg VL200 that I have owned since 1972.

Again, thanks for looking for me and the very kind words!

Rod Wolfe (aka Roddy Wolfe, Roddy on the Radio, etc)
Florence, SC

Rod Wolfe!!!! Wow, it is great to see you in print. It has been a long time! How is your family? Are you still doing Radio? If so, I sure would like to like to have it in my list of stations! Are you still living in Florence? Do you still have your Bumble Bee? Selling all those beautiful "vinyls"??? I can't believe that. I was just telling a friend about me listening to you in the 60's and then working with you later at Fleet. I wondered what happened to you after we all left. If you are in Florence, let me know and I remember where you and Wendy lived, if you are still there. I did not know if Y'all went back to Allentown. Anyway, I hope you can respond to this. Tell Wendy Hi and maybe, who knows, I will see y'all again!!

Susan Buffkin Shine

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom