• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Robin and Maynard/KXRX/KJR

It seems from discussions on this board that KXRX was a very well known station, and Robin and Maynard were a well known and well liked morning show. I am curious about this though, as KXRX only lasted seven years, and outside of this board and the note in KJAQ's Wikipedia article I haven't found much about them, though admittedly I haven't looked that hard. Had they been in the market before, or were they in the market somewhere else after KXRX went country? If so, was that the morning show I remember around 1997-98 on KJR, or was that a completely different morning show? I remember Norm Gregory in the morning there, but want to say he did traffic. Can someone or multiple people help me piece together this history? I would have been only three or four at the time, so am surprised I even remember this much about the KJR morning show.

Robin & Maynard were Seattle legends. They formed as a team at KISW in 1984, then went on to KXRX in 1987, KZOK in 1994, and KQBZ (The Buzz) in April 2003 through December 2005. But each had individual radio careers pre-dating that. Their shifts varied, bouncing between AM drive and PM drive (except at KQBZ where it was consistently mornings).

Before the partnership with Robin, John Maynard was on several Seattle radio stations throughout the 1970s, including KJR-AM, KOL, KUUU, and KYYX. He then focused his time for a few years as a restauranteur. (If I recall correctly, it was a restaurant on Mercer near Seattle Center, called Sunday's.)

"Rockin' Robin Erickson" (as she was initially known) first came to Seattle in 1981, doing the 4pm-8pm shift at KZOK on her own. In about September 1982, she was hired away by KISW for the 10pm-2am shift. It was in 1984 that Robin & John first teamed up.

they sued their last employer (I don't remember all the details) which had the effect of pretty much ending their careers at least here in Seattle, I seem to remember Maynard doing something after that but it didn't last long.

Okay, maybe KZOK is where I remember them from, though I don't remember wanting to listen to KZOK at all in the mornings. That would have made some sense though, as I would get 92.5 and 102.5 confused when I was that age. These days, I probably wouldn't be able to recognize their voices if I heard them, as when I first saw their names on this board years ago, I vaguely remembered their names, but had the totally wrong station. Who would have been doing mornings on 95.7 at the time?

According Wikipedia Gary Bryan (now at KRTH) was doing mornings in 1998 and Rick Hansen (now on KKXA) joined after the switch back to classic hits in 2002. I seem to recall Charlie Brown and Ty Flint resurfacing on 95.7 as did Norm Gregory, Steve Slayton, Heidi May and Randy Lundquist. Probably many more I've forgotten.

Yes, I remember the original lineup from 2002. Rick Hanson in mornings, Heidi May in mid-days, and Bob Case in afternoons, with Charlie Brown as imaging voice. Eventually, Rick Hanson was replaced with Pat Cashman.

Yes, I remember the original lineup from 2002. Rick Hanson in mornings, Heidi May in mid-days, and Bob Case in afternoons, with Charlie Brown as imaging voice. Eventually, Rick Hanson was replaced with Pat Cashman.
The KJR jungles were fantastic at that time. I wish they still had something like that, but it wouldn’t really fit with their image now. It was a cool homage to their days on “95.”

I don't know why I remember this but, KJR was playing America's Horse With No Name and when the song ended Pat Cashman's say A Horse With No Name, how sad. To this day when that song is played or Pat's name is mentioned I thing of this story.

I don't know why I remember this but, KJR was playing America's Horse With No Name and when the song ended Pat Cashman's say A Horse With No Name, how sad. To this day when that song is played or Pat's name is mentioned I thing of this story.
I have a similar strange memory. Pulling into the DMV parking lot listening to the "The Summer of 69" on the radio as a kid. The host comes on and says "Ahhhhh... the summer of 69. Good times! For SOME... not for all... but for SOME." I remember cracking up thinking that was the height of hilarity at the time. I can't remember who said it, but they said a line that I still use to this day lol.

I have a similar strange memory. Pulling into the DMV parking lot listening to the "The Summer of 69" on the radio as a kid. The host comes on and says "Ahhhhh... the summer of 69. Good times! For SOME... not for all... but for SOME." I remember cracking up thinking that was the height of hilarity at the time. I can't remember who said it, but they said a line that I still use to this day lol.
Fun fact: In 1969, Bryan Adams was 8 years old. This was why his band from school didn't get far even though they tried real hard.

they sued their last employer (I don't remember all the details) which had the effect of pretty much ending their careers at least here in Seattle, I seem to remember Maynard doing something after that but it didn't last long.
Robin sued Entercom for gender discrimination and wanted B.J. Shea fired:

Great story. Summer of 69 holds up so well today and probably will still be played 20 years from now.

Robin sued Entercom for gender discrimination and wanted B.J. Shea fired:

I loved Robin and Maynard on the air... With that said, BJ Shea worked for them for 19 years after she filed the suit and she's living on a ranch in Montana. ( at least she's on the good side of the state! ) You get more flies with honey than you do with being a c***sucker, I always say. AGAIN!! I love Robin and Maynard! But I love BJ too. Both great humans.

Back
Top Bottom