• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Remembering WSSO and Joe Phillips Sr.

Joe Phillips, Jr., a longtime friend of mine, now residing in Orange Beach AL, emailed me a copy of an article remembering his dad, Joe Sr, and his pioneering of WSSO, WSMU FM, and the Starkville cable system. It was in the Feb 20 issue of the Starkville Daily News. One of you who might be more computer-savvy (I'm definitely not) may be able to post a link to the article.

no problem

nice read... I love reading old radio stuff.

50-60 miles on a handful of watts back then and today a station is lucky to be heard well in its COL with the noise we have from CFLs, computers, power transformers and the like.

Mr. Joe was a colorful character to work for in radio. Got mad and fired me once before lunch and hired me back afterwards. If you ever wanted to "know what it cost to run a radio station",he would surely tell you. Taught me a bunch. And Miss Helen seemed to be his calming influence, a nice lady. WSSO was a great example of small town radio,and a training ground for a lot of us.

Joe Jr and his brother Norvell were involved in some cable tv systems we built together. I enjoyed seeing Miss Helen often after she, Jr, sisters Sara and EddieSue all moved down to the Gulf Shores area. I believe she was about 90 when she died last year. Was still making an occasional trip to Italy well into her 80s.

Great to read that story about Mr. Joe.

33 years later, I still have vivid memories of working at that place: the long hall back to the studios, the sound (and smell) of the AP machine, the joy of correctly back-timing to NBC news, and many more.

Paul Burt

Thank you all for remembering my dad, Yes he was colorful to say the least !!!! He was a real pioneer in booth radio and cable tv. The Starkville system was the 3rd built in Miss.I love hearing from all the vast WSSO/WSMU(MIX 106) family. Thanks Joe Phillips,Orange Beach,Al

I spoke with Joe Jr this afternoon, and encouraged him to join the forum. Glad to see that he has done so. We agreed that the article failed to acknowledge Miss Helen's role in the matter - and it was significant.

Joe also agreed with me that the 60 mile coverage claim was not accurate. There are co-channel stations in Corinth, Yazoo City, Tuscaloosa, Haleyville AL - all of which preclude any of them reaching out that far. Joe, I think they meant 15 miles north, 15 south, 15 to the east, and 15 to the west - that adds up to 60!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom