• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Regional Mexican Charts and Music

RadioAMFM

Inactive
Inactive User
If a gringo were to launch a Regional Mexican radio station with a small budget (not enough to pay a consultant), where could he find historical Regional Mexican music charts (say for example, 1985 - 2005), and/or a decent Regional Mexican music library.

I know Billboard offers some historical Latin music charts with a paid subscription, but I'm not sure if those are actual Regional Mexican charts or simply "Latin hits".

RadioAMFM said:
If a gringo were to launch a Regional Mexican radio station with a small budget (not enough to pay a consultant), where could he find historical Regional Mexican music charts (say for example, 1985 - 2005), and/or a decent Regional Mexican music library.

I know Billboard offers some historical Latin music charts with a paid subscription, but I'm not sure if those are actual Regional Mexican charts or simply "Latin hits".

There is no good souce for this. Best bet is to work a deal with someone like Juan Carlos Hidalgo, Eddie Leon or José Santos to do a limited consulting deal.

See if you can get TM Century's Hit Discs for source material. That doesn't mean every song should be added, but they typically pick up the biggest. Billboard is an awful source. Out of touch and sometimes way out of date.

elchupacabras said:
See if you can get TM Century's Hit Discs for source material. That doesn't mean every song should be added, but they typically pick up the biggest. Billboard is an awful source. Out of touch and sometimes way out of date.

There is no HitDisk for regional Mexican, just for pop, rock, ballads and rhythmic.

DavidEduardo said:
elchupacabras said:

There is no HitDisk for regional Mexican, just for pop, rock, ballads and rhythmic.

Not true. My station had subscribed to the service that had the top selections on them with a smattering of all Latin Formats, which usually had 10-12 Regional Mexican tracks. It was mailed out to us every 2 weeks when I was PD. I still get their e-mail with accompanying notes. I may have erred calling it "Hit Disk," it may have another variant title, but it has all the top adds. It is not a complete source, but typically has uncompressed top tracks. What is true is that there is no "Gold Disk" library for the format, and there is a weekly disc sent out for the aforementioned ballads. We used to subscribe, but it was pointless because the music was not relevant. I believe the service is mainly destined for "sonideros," but there are a number of stations that subscribe.

Dang service didn't allow me enough time to edit my post. Here is a more coherent version:

[/quote]

Not true. My station had subscribed to the service that had the top selections on them with a smattering of all Latin Formats, which usually had 8-11 Regional Mexican tracks. It was mailed out to us every 2 weeks when I was PD. I still get their e-mail with accompanying notes. I may have erred calling it "Hit Disk," it may have another variant title, but it has all the top adds.
I believe it is a service that is typically sought out by "sonideros," but there are a number of stations that are subscribers.

What is true is that there is no "Gold Disk" library for the format. We had subscribed to their Spanish pop weekly service,
but it was pointless because the music was not relevant (until my rep. made us aware of this disc).

If you can get back copies, it would be good uncompressed source material for many adds. Hence the reason I mentioned it.

elchupacabras said:

Not true. My station had subscribed to the service that had the top selections on them with a smattering of all Latin Formats, which usually had 8-11 Regional Mexican tracks. It was mailed out to us every 2 weeks when I was PD. I still get their e-mail with accompanying notes. I may have erred calling it "Hit Disk," it may have another variant title, but it has all the top adds.

Then it was likely Promo Only... which is a free service. Not TM. All the TM services are weekly, and all are called Hit Disk, just as the Radio Express service is called RadioPlay.

First, it's "HitDisc" and not HitDisk. The letter "c" is used at the end of "disc" in "HitDisc." Just like it's "GoldDisc" and not GoldDisk. "HitDisc" is a weekly new music compilation service for broadcasters. "HitDisc" is produced and distributed by TM Studios, formerly known as TM Century then Jones TM. In 2008, they became TM Studios after the company was acquired by Triton Media/Dial-Global.

On May 5, 2004, TM Studios launched "PrimeCuts Latin," which is a bi-weekly compilation service featuring the latest Regional Mexican and Tropical titles, formats not, except for the occasional cross-over hits, programmed on "HitDisc Latin."

On the other hand, "HitDisc Latin" is a weekly new music compilation service featuring the latest pop, ballad, rock, and rhythmic Spanish-language singles.

Gibby said:
First, it's "HitDisc" and not HitDisk. The letter "c" is used at the end of "disc" in "HitDisc." Just like it's "GoldDisc" and not GoldDisk. "HitDisc" is a weekly new music compilation service for broadcasters. "HitDisc" is produced and distributed by TM Studios, formerly known as TM Century then Jones TM. In 2008, they became TM Studios after the company was acquired by Triton Media/Dial-Global.

On May 5, 2004, TM Studios launched "PrimeCuts Latin," which is a bi-weekly compilation service featuring the latest Regional Mexican and Tropical titles, formats not, except for the occasional cross-over hits, programmed on "HitDisc Latin."

On the other hand, "HitDisc Latin" is a weekly new music compilation service featuring the latest pop, ballad, rock, and rhythmic Spanish-language singles.

That's interesting. It's barely visable on your website (where it's mentioned on the Spanish page, but the links don't work... so the assumption is that it never existed or no longer does). I polled a half dozen of our regional Mexican programmers and not a one of the had ever heard of it! I guess that shows the value of marketing... ;D

Sorry about the "K" and not the C" in "disc." I should know that, since I produced the first hundred or so of the ExitosExpress HitDisc before TM and Radio Express parted company.

DavidEduardo said:
it's mentioned on the Spanish page, but the links don't work
the links work when i visit:

http://www.tmstudios.com/spanish/PCLatin.asp

here's even more on the entire Primecuts series:

http://www.tmstudios.com/primecuts-more.asp

DavidEduardo said:
so the assumption is that it never existed or no longer does.

it's been in existence since may 5, 2004.

DavidEduardo said:
I polled a half dozen of our regional Mexican programmers and not a one of the had ever heard of it!

hdl & pcl clients are typically broadcasters who don't receive great label service. how would you describe Univision's new music acquisitions.

DavidEduardo said:
I produced the first hundred or so of the ExitosExpress HitDisc before TM and Radio Express parted company.

and since then over 500 hitdisc latin compilations have been produced and thousands of spanish-language songs have been programmed.

Gibby said:

The links from the page you get by clicking Spanish on the home page has nonworking links as of this moment.

hdl & pcl clients are typically broadcasters who don't receive great label service. how would you describe Univision's new music acquisitions.

Horrible. In all but the top markets, there is no promotion, no service. i don't even get service on some significant labels in LA. As there is no Latin label making money outside of Universal, and Universal does not have their act together at all, most stations are getting songs via Monitor Latino and similar sources... or creating download sites in a large market for the smaller ones that don't get service.

and since then over 500 hitdisc latin compilations have been produced and thousands of spanish-language songs have been programmed.

But it's still spelled the same.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom