• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Record collection disposal

melan8tr said:
I was guessing that JOZ-4006 was a re-issue., i still haven't figured why they reference this number, maybe some catolog designation....I have to concede that the $9.99 version maybe in fact an original and not a re-issue... and based on standard grading procedures ,based on the record cover damage condition, and the light scratches on the record the value of $9.99 is probably correct and not a rip-off as I said..... but my point again is that the asking prices for the other examples shown on the link are in line with the guide....... and then you factor the standard grading practice ..which are not evident when examples of E-bay sales are thrown out there, without complete knowledge of how that price was arrived using the combination of guide and grading. the book gives you the max price ranges and then you grade you record and see where it falls in those ranges ie,, poor, fair, VG, VG+ and NM....... the intent of the response by fonz to my post, was to compare my $50 sale to various other sales on E-bay as if they were eqaul and they are not.......I need to get off this site, its driving me crazy

If you sold a $10 record for $50, I don't have a problem with that. Record dealers and used car salesmen have a right to make a living. I'm simply suggesting that record buyers check with eBay before buying.

I sold all my 45s (kept a few rare ones with PS) back around 2005 to a local DJ, and most of my LP's in one batch in a garage sale around 2007 or so. Boy, it hurt to let them go. But they took up so much space and I knew I'd wouldn't be listening to them again, having all of them already in digital format on CD or MP3. It was just time to let them go. It felt like the end of an era, though. I wonder how many other people had a hard time selling off their collections?

I went to a garage sale where the guy had a first pressing of the "Street Survivors" album by Lynyrd Skynyrd which has the group engulged in flames. That was withdrawn after the plane crash and is now worth around $100. I got it for $1.00. I told the gentleman that he had a real collectors item. He said he didn't care, he just wanted to get them out of his garage.

I'm getting picky. I only want LPs and 45s in very good or near mint/mint condition. I've thrown out some in lesser shape, not wanting to stick somebody with inferior product.

johnbasalla said:
I went to a garage sale where the guy had a first pressing of the "Street Survivors" album by Lynyrd Skynyrd which has the group engulged in flames. That was withdrawn after the plane crash and is now worth around $100. I got it for $1.00. I told the gentleman that he had a real collectors item. He said he didn't care, he just wanted to get them out of his garage.

I'm getting picky. I only want LPs and 45s in very good or near mint/mint condition. I've thrown out some in lesser shape, not wanting to stick somebody with inferior product.

Nice buy! Not sure that it's worth $100, tho:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lynyrd-Skyn...5251062?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item2ec0546176

johnbasalla said:
Based on the link, you're right. I came up with "around $100" based on seeing it in a used record store for close to that amount.

I can understand that. We had the "record store vs. eBay" discussion earlier in this thread.

As I have far too many junk records from when I was involved with DJ pools, I rarely buy records anymore unless I want something a little different, and most of the time I'll grab them at a flea market where the average price for most any record is about $1, unless it's something a vendor thinks it might have value to it (even if it doesn't). Cylinder records and 45's are an exception, the first is usually about $5 each and the latter can vary from 50 cents to a dollar. Those are pretty much the only exceptions. A single sided Victor disc from 1908=a dollar (even in mint condition), an etched Edison disc from 1914 (yes, those thick 1/4 inch ones) = still just a dollar. I hit one exception recently where a guy had a box of 45 78's with some decent copies (VG or better) of some 50's hits (most of the 78's at these flea markets are 1900's to the 40's, almost never the 50's). He wouldn't let the individual disc go by themselves, and insisted the whole box go for 10 bucks! That means I got things like a VG copy of Jim Lowe - Green Door, a VG copy of Sixteen Tons by Tenn. Ernie Ford, and a fair copy of an original SUN records Johnny Cash - Walk The Line (not to mention quite a few others that I won't mention as this post is already too long) for a little more than 22 cents each! I'd bet I can e-Bay some of that for ... well... possibly a dollar each.

DJKraze said:
As I have far too many junk records from when I was involved with DJ pools, I rarely buy records anymore unless I want something a little different, and most of the time I'll grab them at a flea market where the average price for most any record is about $1, unless it's something a vendor thinks it might have value to it (even if it doesn't). Cylinder records and 45's are an exception, the first is usually about $5 each and the latter can vary from 50 cents to a dollar. Those are pretty much the only exceptions. A single sided Victor disc from 1908=a dollar (even in mint condition), an etched Edison disc from 1914 (yes, those thick 1/4 inch ones) = still just a dollar. I hit one exception recently where a guy had a box of 45 78's with some decent copies (VG or better) of some 50's hits (most of the 78's at these flea markets are 1900's to the 40's, almost never the 50's). He wouldn't let the individual disc go by themselves, and insisted the whole box go for 10 bucks! That means I got things like a VG copy of Jim Lowe - Green Door, a VG copy of Sixteen Tons by Tenn. Ernie Ford, and a fair copy of an original SUN records Johnny Cash - Walk The Line (not to mention quite a few others that I won't mention as this post is already too long) for a little more than 22 cents each! I'd bet I can e-Bay some of that for ... well... possibly a dollar each.
and the moral to this story is what exactly ???

First, I would think real hard about whether there is anyone in your life, perhaps much younger than you, who would be interested in preserving and protecting your collection. And leave them to that person in your will with instructions. I would also check with that person first to see if it would be a pleasure or a burden to them. Otherwise, You may want to check around and see if there are any Universities or colleges near you that may be interested in them.

Al Timiter said:
First, I would think real hard about whether there is anyone in your life, perhaps much younger than you, who would be interested in preserving and protecting your collection. And leave them to that person in your will with instructions. I would also check with that person first to see if it would be a pleasure or a burden to them. Otherwise, You may want to check around and see if there are any Universities or colleges near you that may be interested in them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom