• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Re: When or will Houston get Jack or Bob?

R

radiodial

>>
>> I believe Infinity is going through their inventory of large
>> market holdings and flipping the older demos to JACK. For
>> an Infinity Broadcasting radio station to be tied with
>> another radio station really doesn't matter if it's in 13th
>> place and an older demo. They're flipping them.
>>
>> A good example of this is what happened in Chicago and New
>> York. JMHO.
>>
>
> Radiodial,
>
> I just went and checked the ratings for Infinity's WCBS-FM and WJMK
> out of curosity to see what they were when flipped to JACK. You are
> so right about about Infinity and flipping to JACK.
>
> ----WCBS-FM #9 3.1 and flipped to Jack
> ----WJMK #12t 3.0 and flipped to Jack
>
> Personally I can't fathom having the #9 station in NYC and changing
> formats or having the #12 station in Chicago and flipping formats. The
> Wave #13 with a 2.9, goodbye Wave, Hello Jack. I missed that one big time.
>
> Mike
>

Mike_O,

One has to wonder, as you have, what decision is behind flipping a #9 station in the largest market? My guess is that the bar has just been raised. #10 is no longer the metric that it was. Now they are looking at the #5 spot as the acceptable low. I am only guessing here. With ad sales expected to be flat this summer I imagine that the automatic upwards bump that JACK stations are currently getting just may be enough to weather them through a dismal summer.

Other than the hot new Kroger format K-ROGER FM, JACK FM is about the only format causing a stir at the moment.

JMHO.

>
> Other than the hot new Kroger format K-ROGER FM, JACK FM is
> about the only format causing a stir at the moment.
>

There is definitely a tendency in our market, as seen on many stations, towards JACK. I have to admit, I've popped in to the 8:00 rewind on Mix 96.5 if I'm in the car (it's still a preset despite my anger towards Clear Channel...I can't think of a replacement for it) and...

The DJ claims that this is the time that he gets to just "play whatever he wants!"...which is basically the exact same as the tagline for JACK and BOB stations. To me, that shows that it's an idea that a lot of stations/companies want to jump in on.

Even KIOL appears to be trying such a thing too, only skewed to rock. BTW, it sounded a little better this morning (audio-wise)...maybe it was just me.

I think Cox would have been smart to flip the Point to JACK or BOB. Even though they play some of the same music you'd hear on a JACK station, they just don't have the imaging or the variety right. They can still play 80s music, just stop referring to themselves as an "80s" station...I think that would have been the smart thing to do.

If we do get a JACK/BOB...I think they do need to go ahead and give it a person's name. Even though the whole Jack/Bob/Mike/Sam/Dave naming thing is just a trend that will surely die eventually, I think it would be a good short-term idea for a Houston station that wants to differentiate itself for the time being.

Also, if it happens, they might be better off skewing towards a more recent playlist (like late 70s to today). I think with KKRW, KLDE, and KIOL we have enough oldies and classic rock already.

Unless KLDE flips, then they might do well as a station that plays oldies to today. BOB-FM in Austin seems to be doing well at that, from what I've read and gathered...and they flipped it from an Oldies station.

I ran some errands early this morning and could pick up KBPA (BOB 103.5 Austin)...it is very different than JACK in Dallas (I listen to that online sometimes).

You may be right, Radiodial, about Infinity flipping to Jack. They did just get Larry Jones in the morning on 95.7, so I thought that might indicate that they are set with the format as is... but then I read (on the NYC board I think) that WCBS was doing live remotes as an oldies station the very morning before their flip to Jack (which I think occurred around 11am that day!) So it looks like it could happen any time....

JB

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom