• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Radio with Pictures (not TV)

I buy mp3s from Amazon, they have a picture (usually related to the album cover) included which shows up when I play one with the VLC media player and in Windows File Explorer.

Since many smartphones have FM radios (even my [new] flip phone does), I was wondering if providing a picture (or slideshow style sequence of pictures) would be useful in getting FM listeners to stay tuned in?

Kirk Bayne

I buy mp3s from Amazon, they have a picture (usually related to the album cover) included which shows up when I play one with the VLC media player and in Windows File Explorer.

Since many smartphones have FM radios (even my [new] flip phone does), I was wondering if providing a picture (or slideshow style sequence of pictures) would be useful in getting FM listeners to stay tuned in?

Kirk Bayne
Are you suggesting that FM recivers on phones should include a picture, or fm radios in general? In the latter case, IBOC does provide this for some vehicular radios. As for the phones, I would agree, but you rarely see HD on them, except for the Microsoft Zune.

If you want pictures over the radio, try Shortwave. There are a few stations out there that transmit images over the air using easy to decode methods like MSFK and SSTV. The Coast Guard has a few of them out there, and WRMI transmits a few shows that transmit MSFK images (there's one 30-minute program called Shortwave Radiogram that's entirely dedicated to these types of broadcasts)

I was thinking of adding a new subcarrier to the analog FM signal, maybe just enough data for a new (small) color picture every 5 seconds, perhaps this would launch a new artform - slideshow music videos.

Picture decoders could be built into phones (app, maybe), possibly home use radios, but not car radios.

(I know about SSTV, I read an article ~50 years ago about SSTV via shortwave, interesting system)

Kirk Bayne

Kirk Bayne
Most stations running FM-HD already provide PAD data in the stream which includes displaying album covers for the song playing. Many NPR affiliated stations have photo billboards of the show that's airing. Same goes with SiriusXM.

I'm not sure displaying art or images other than the album cover art or photos would be a good idea, or even legal in some states. Reason being; distraction for a vehicle driver. That's why minivans and SUV's with screens for the kids are only allowed facing the rear seat.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom