• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Radio Talents who vanished

Where on earth did they go?

There are tons of Talented DJ's who just Vanished into thin air in the STL area....who comes to mind for you?

Mine would be Leslie O'Brien...she was great on Y-98, followed her to 101.1 The River (great station for it's time btw) and then she stopped on Mix 93.7 (by far my favorite station in STL of all time)

What happened to her after that?

And where on earth did Steve and DC go? I thought they had a great gig going with KHITS but poof....gone

What about that British sounded guy from 104.1 The Mall...I don't remember his name anymore

johntherogger said:
And where on earth did Steve and DC go? I thought they had a great gig going with KHITS but poof....gone

I believe Steve was just announced as the morning host of WAHR 99.1 in Huntsville, AL. He had previously been at WERC in Birmingham, originally paired up with former LA radio personality Leah Brandon. I believe DC had a station management position in Fargo, Duluth or somewhere up there in the Great White North.

Last time I talked to TJ (I was the guy who got her on the air at KWK to start her brief career) she was out of radio and working with kids. She was stunningly talented, but really wasn't an emotional fit for the business. Very sweet, but a bit odd. Hers had not been an easy life.

Not too likely that 1 of 2 names I'll drop would be mentioned in answer to this because amazingly, it's hard to believe that 40 years have passed since KKSS was on at 107.5 FM. Scott St. James later went on to sports TV success and acting in LA, and Johnnie Jones had a truly outstanding voice, but no idea where he went post KKSS, FM, St. Louis..where you hear.... Station was similar to Frankie Crocker programmed WBLS (NY) and KUTE (LA). St. James actually worked sports in St. Lou for quite a while before moving on to LA.

I'm wondering about some old Country talents.

Davie Lee & Walter Vaughn of WIL.

Lee Sherwood of KUSA.

Jim Young (Craig McGowan) of WIL and the Darcy Agency.

Jim Shannon

Last I heard Davie Lee was still around - he was working at 1430 until Romanik bought it, and I have heard some liners he cut on 1190. Heard Frank O Pinion wondering the same thing about Lee Sherwood.

Other Country talent I remember but don't know what happened to - Buddy Van Arsdale and Michelle Kent from the old Kix 104 days.

Shannon said:
I'm wondering about some old Country talents.

Davie Lee & Walter Vaughn of WIL.

Lee Sherwood of KUSA.

Jim Young (Craig McGowan) of WIL and the Darcy Agency.

Jim Shannon

How about some of the air staff at 55KSD from the early to mid-70's? Grant Horton, Paul Warner & Charles Hefti, just to name a few. As I recall they were more of an AC/Gold station back in those days. Before that, more MOR-ish if I'm right?

Buddy, the last I heard, was PD of a small group somewhere is the South.

Michelle was married to a KMOX engineer. As far as I know, she's still in town.

Paul Warner still does a call in show at KTRS, or did.

May be wrong, but I think Grant Horton passed.

Jim Shannon

Just looked in the 1977 Broadcasting Yearbook on David Gleason's website - as of the publication of that book, it had already moved to 107.7. So it must have been between 3/76 and 1977 that it changed.

Does anyone know if Bruce Bradley is still alive? I remember he came back to St. Louis and was hosting a radio show on WIBV, and a TV show on KETC-9, but he seemed to be mentally losing it. Last I had heard he went somewhere in the Southwest.

Regarding KKSS, the 107.5 frequency was more like a positioning statement, similar to "KSHE-95." When the station signed off for transmitter maintenance on Sunday nights, the announcer or cart used gave "the assigned frequency of 107.7 megahertz...." I am not sure why the station chose to do this either. I suspect it was a way to distinguish itself from its previous AC/Top-40 format ("Kiss 108") from 1973(?)-March 1975.

As an R&B station, the DJ's would spell out the "K-K-S-S" calls, and their sweepers would sometimes ping-pong between the left and right channels as each letter was spelled out slowly. The "Kiss" moniker was hardly ever used.

Bruce Bradley moved to Arizona in the late 1990's, and briefly hosted a show on KTRS in 2000 from there. I am not sure if he is still alive.

107.7 was ALWAYS on 107.7 I know I installed the first 20KW Harris transmitter and 12 bay antenna. DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ! THEY NEVER "MOVED"

Obviously, you know if you put it on the air. Just bizarre marketing for them. Generally if a station is going to round up or down they go to the whole frequency... ;D

busterluck said:
107.7 was ALWAYS on 107.7 I know I installed the first 20KW Harris transmitter and 12 bay antenna. DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ! THEY NEVER "MOVED"

Here's a couple of other names:

Partick Jay - KSLQ & KSD

Brad Edwards - I think he was on Majic or KKSS

John King - he was PD of KIX-FM

Jim Shannon

Shannon said:
Partick Jay - KSLQ & KSD

Jim, PJ went to Austin, TX a long time ago, and was on KLBJ for a long time doing talk. He now had a food-oriented business (I don't recall the nature of it) and has a health oriented talk net.
http://oneradionetwork.com/

His Timpone's Fresh Food Corporation's website is gone, so I don't know if his food biz is still active.

John King became a radio executive - I think he was some kind of regional VP at Cumulus or Clear Channel in the South, and I remember reading on one of the boards on here that he retired a couple years ago.

Shannon said:
Here's a couple of other names:

Partick Jay - KSLQ & KSD

Brad Edwards - I think he was on Majic or KKSS

John King - he was PD of KIX-FM

Jim Shannon

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom