• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Radio Hodgepodge

There's an old expression that says "quit while you are ahead." Actually, I'm not sure I'm ahead but perhaps close enough.

This year, Hip-Hop turned 50. What I had planned was a discussion of soul music from 50 years ago. It would probably explain why Hip-Hop eventually became "the music revolution that changed the world." I also wanted to discuss Florida's influence on both music and radio. I thought it would be an interesting topic. There's many I think are interesting. I post. And then we go off on these silly detours where it's a struggle to stay focused. It can be so frustrating.

For those of you who made radio a career, you may think what your life would have been like had you chosen a different career. My situation was the opposite. I often wondered if I would have been truly satisfied in life if I got my paycheck from radio.

My gut instincts rarely failed me.When I was in college in the early 70s, there was an AM radio station that flipped to Top 40. This was WWDJ-AM in Hackensack, New Jersey. In tying in to much of what this string was about, they endeavored to be the best they could be despite very tough odds at long-run success.

A 5000 watt signal going against WABC's massive signal. This will explain it a lot better than I ever could:

Interestingly, WWDJ performed pretty well in Northern New Jersey when looking at shares of audience there. New Jersey, despite being massively populated, was between two major markets - New York City and Philadelphia. There was an identity problems of sorts. And so WWDJ helped satisfy that need for a Top 40 station that served the local community.

I became aware of a job opening. It was for something like accounts payable/receivable. Given my major, it may have made sense. I gave it a little thought but quickly dismissed it. It would have required me to quit college for starters. Not surprisingly, WWDJ only lasted 3 years as a rock 'n roll station. Between the growing challenges of FM and limited advertising revenue, it was not to be.

Over the years, I saw how tough the business of radio was, especially at the jock and PD level. When "WKRP in Cincinnati" became a hit in the late 70s , the theme song lyric of "Got tired of packing and unpacking, town to town up and down the dial" really hit home. I wanted more stability in my life and so I played it safer even though my heart was always in radio.

When I discovered "Radio Discussions" many years ago, I felt like a kid in a candy store. It's not easy talking about radio as most everyday people have no interest in it except for their casual listening.

It was also some time ago that I noticed participating in Radio Discussions was changing. It's like a microcosm of society. People have grown very intolerant of views that are different than their own. I see radio as business that does not embrace diversity of opinions. There's sameness everywhere. Yes, there are those established practices that work. But who knows what that different road can bring?

I mentioned earlier that radio has lost a lot of really fantastic people. I often think of people like Rob Sidney who oversaw AC WLYF for many years. You might say he's one of my radio heroes. Most in that category are not as contemporary as Mr. Sidney. It was his decision to leave WLYF. He knew he would not be able to operate as he did when there was smaller ownership such as Jefferson Pilot and Lincoln Financial.

I don't understand why my repeated messages of working hard, being totally vested in success, and being given the latitude to create a market-driven product and allowing creativity is met with either resistance or lack of supporting comments. It's to a point there's critiques in preview statements before I get the chance to make the case. We do a terrible job in listening to what others say. We've got our talking points on ready, set, go dismissing or tearing apart someone who simply wants to express himself.

All that's left to say is I wish you all a very happy holiday season.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom