• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

R&R: A CREDIBLE MAGAZINE???

Who does Radio and Records Magazine represent? In my opinion, it's not the mom & pop readi ostation owners in the world. Here is my response to R&R propoganda approving the XM/SIRIUS merger>>>

DEAR PAUL HEINE,

Your online magazine could do a much better job by allowing for
online feedback/discussion for th articles you publish.

For instance, you quote Public Knowledge president, Gigi Sohn, as a
credible representative for the public. It is absurd that you decided to quote someone
who does not in anyway represent the general public. Is she a voice for
America? I don't think so! The fact that she stated the merger would be a good thing shows that this woman and her organization have no credibility. Then, to
top it off, she said the new company should be encouraged to broadcast local
content.....
Why didn't someone from R&R walk up to her and say, "Pardon me
lady but satellite companies aren't allowed to broadcast local content.
It was a fundamental rule established to ensure that terrestrial radio would
be preserved".

Then you quote a broadcaster with the following, "That message
was not lost on those who would be most affected. At one point in the
harangue, a Midwest broadcaster in town for the NAB's 2007 State Leadership
Conference who was seated in the gallery whispered to the person next to
him, "He's still really sharp, isn't he?!""

My friend, if Mel Karmazin, was so sharp then he would
know what constitutes a monopoly. It appeared that various NAB
representatives tried to explain the meaning of MONOPOLY but it was beyond
the comprehension of Mr. Mel Karmazin....... What's even more troubling is that your reporter, Jeffrey Yorke, is quoting people whispering in the audience...PHHLEASE! It was probably Mel's relative he was quoting!

In all honesty, I have to question the integrity of R&R.
Do you represent the general public or DO YOU just represent the voice of
BIG MEDIA?

SINCERELY, Joe Burke

josh said:
Who does Radio and Records Magazine represent?

Radio & Records started in the 70's as a tip sheet and has involved into a radio programming news and music magazine aimed at programmers in the larger markets. It is mostly filled with format charts and news of each format division. It is not intended to be a consumer magazine, a publication for very small markets or for sales management or engineering. It does exactly what it set out to do 30 years ago.

DavidEduardo said:
Radio & Records started in the 70's as a tip sheet and has involved into a radio programming news and music magazine aimed at programmers in the larger markets. It is mostly filled with format charts and news of each format division. It is not intended to be a consumer magazine, a publication for very small markets or for sales management or engineering. It does exactly what it set out to do 30 years ago.

Granted, it's in no way a consumer magazine, but neither is it imho particularly targeted toward large markets either. The articles & columns are equally relevant to smaller markets as they are to large ones. They also have occasional articles on sales too.

R&R certainly made Billboard all but irrelevant to radio. I haven't worked at a station that subscribed to Billboard since the 80s.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom