• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Question with "Reba" on the CW

What is up with the actress that plays "Barbara Jean." In the season premier she is thin. Next week she's back to being fat. Then she is way thin again. Now last night she's fat again. I guess these episodes must've been filmed really out of order?

MarcB said:
I don't know, but since the show began airing 4 or 5 years ago I've noticed her getting fat and getting skinny. And she was in some commercial a few years ago and she was fat. BTW 7PM is The Best of Reba. 730PM are the new episodes.

So far, she's been thin in the new episodes, and heavy in the "Best of Reba" reruns. Obviously, the actress that plays Barbara Jean must have been very busy getting herself in shape while the show was on hiatus.

Oh OK I get it now. I was watching the 7pm (6pm) episodes and I have never seen any of these so I thought they were new. I also new there was some problems when the WB merged with UPN as to whether or not Reba would be cancelled. I believe it was and then brought back. I read even though Reba was the highest rated show on the WB it wouldn't fit into the demographic for the new CW.

Then I saw a 7pm(6pm) show about how a FAT Barbara Jean wanted to lose weight and her and Reba and the daughter went on a diet.

I figured they shot some episodes out of order or something. I know the actress that plays Reba's youngest daughter was off the show for the treatment of an eating disorder.

I have read this is the last year of Reba, hopefully not. Although I don't think Barbara Jean is nearly as funny now that she's thin, Melissa Peterman and Reba are probably the best comedey team on TV today

I thought the only reason they produced another seasons worth was due to some syndication deal.

Melissa Peterman who plays Barbara Jean was pregnant in real life with a child (born in Oct. 2005) when these episodes were filmed. That is how they explained why Barbara Jean was getting fat without showing her character getting pregnant. When the show went on hiatus in early 2006, Melissa lost the weight.

The other reason why they went one more season is that WB signed a contract with Reba's producers through the 2006/2007 season. That contract was signed 2 to 3 years ago before CW was even formed. If the CW wanted to cancel the series (which they tried), they would have paid big fines for breaking the contract. They decided to air the ordered 13 contracted episodes once some of CW's other new shows tanked on Sunday's at 7 pm. The contract also has a provision for the network to order additional episodes if the ratings were good. I have not heard if that has been done. In any case, CW is getting their money's worth by airing the new episodes and the previous years episodes to recoup the cost of the original contract.

I personally like the show and hope it continues. It is already running in syndication on the "Lifetime" network and some local affiliates.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom