• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Question / Innovation In Radio

Engineers,

With cars connecting to phones through bluetooth, would it be possible to develop an app for your radio station that would enable the listener to vote up or down on each song? Thus, making traditional radio interactive like Pandora, Slacker, etc.? Now obviously, the song wouldn't stop and move on, but it would provide immediate data to the programming management of a station with input from P1's.

Maybe (if legal) it could also tell the station where the vote was taken. For example, 34 E. Main street. Then, with data in hand, the sales department could walk up and down Main Street showing P1's travel through there on a regular basis.

Should I head to the patent office now?

FWIW, I just showed this idea to my wife (30, suburban mom) who got excited and said "I would love this."

Live365 already has this. It won't show where the vote was made, probably due to privacy concerns, but listeners can vote on the songs with either thumbs up or thumbs down.

R

It would work up to a point... the data would be skewed because it would only be people who actively use that feature, not representative of a complete cross section of your audience.

The wrong programmer just relying on that data would wind up programming to 500 P1's instead of trying to get all the P1's, and P2's and 3's to sample as well.

This has already been done to some extent with Selector and the PPM data:

http://www.mediamonitors.com/audiencereaction.asp

Again, used as one tool as part of a complete kit including good old programmer's gut it can be useful. But I know of too many PD's that sit there and live and die by it.

It's called Jelli. Lots of stations use it.

The world seems a bit topsy-turvy with the Social Media craze. I am guessing a big part of the popularity is the feeling: "I get to be part of the action, I get to participate."

If you find the tool to do this, maybe you should think of it as a way to let your listeners think they are part of the action, they get to participate. If you don't give them that warm, fuzzy, wanted feeling, some other outlet will.

Repeating the essence of a previous post: if you think this tool will give you valid input to guide your programming... walk very, very carefully. You may find yourself in what the Excel Spreadsheet calls a "circular calculation... not allowed".

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom