• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Question about XMTR sites

I visited San Francisco and hope to return, and perhaps even live there someday. When I was there I was aware that most TV and radio stations transmitted from Sutro Tower with some on Twin Peaks. But just recently I have learned of another site just north of the Golden Gate bridge along HGY 101. I am curios to learn exactly who is on the various 3 sites in the Bay area.

OLD CHICAGO

Without taking time to look them all up, here's what I know from memory:

Mt. Beacon (otherwise known as Wolfback Ridge - the site you speak of North of SF):
A booster for 98.9
A K-love translator on 88.9
Probably, eventually, the new KDFC/KUSF on 90.3

Sutro tower

Mt. San Bruno

Twin Peaks is home to KALW and that's all, AFAIK.

94.1 and 93.3 are in the east-bay hills.

Once again - this is from memory and I could be wrong. But I think it's close. Corrections welcome.

Dave B.

DaveBayArea said:

Mt. Beacon (otherwise known as Wolfback Ridge - the site you speak of North of SF):
A booster for 98.9

Sutro tower

Mt. San Bruno

Once again - this is from memory and I could be wrong. But I think it's close. Corrections welcome.

Dave B.

I always wondered why in Mare Island I get a religious station on 88.9 while in Glen Cove in Vallejo I get KXPR 88.9 Classical Sacramento.

KGO 810, probably the strongest AM signal in the Bay Area, which can be heard all over the West Coast after sunset (and possibly east - not sure)...transmits from the mud at the foot of the Dumbarton Bridge near East Palo Alto.

Correction....

KRZZ 93.3 just recently move from transmitter in East Bay into San Bruno.

I'm not sure if 92.7 KREV is transmitting from Mt. Sutro or Nob Hill.

Also, 100.9 FM transmitts from Wolfback ridge is a relay station for KVVZ 100.7 FM in San Rafael.

DaveBayArea said:

A booster for 98.9

Sutro tower

Mt. San Bruno

Dave B.

THANKS !!!

OLD CHICAGO

KGO 810, probably the strongest AM signal in the Bay Area...

Stronger than 50kW ND KNBR, Llew? Stronger than 50kW ND KTRB during days?

KGO is stronger in the directions the signal is beamed. One of those is not east because they co-protect a station in Schenectady NY, which has roughly the same coverage as KGO, just the opposite direction.

As far as I know 92.7 is still on top of an apartment building on Russian Hill.

BossRadioDJ said:
KGO 810, probably the strongest AM signal in the Bay Area...

Stronger than 50kW ND KNBR, Llew? Stronger than 50kW ND KTRB during days?

OK - maybe you got me there, DJ. Note that I did say "probably."

And I guess I was remembering that my mother used to listen to KGO at night when I was a kid in the 60s...in Los Angeles. I used to DX San Francisco stations at night, too - and never recall hearing KNBR...but perhaps I did tune in 680, and was bored by an Andy Williams record, and moved down the dial to 610/KFRC.

Lkeller said:
KGO 810, probably the strongest AM signal in the Bay Area, which can be heard all over the West Coast after sunset (and possibly east - not sure)...transmits from the mud at the foot of the Dumbarton Bridge near East Palo Alto.

KGO has an excellent AM signal, but unless you pick the spots where you listen to the various AM stations and reject other spots because they don't prove your point, you are incorrect. KGO runs DA-1 and has a figure-eight pattern with the radiation maxima to the north (more correctly north-northwest, I think) and south (actually south-southeast, I believe). The pattern has rather deep minima to the east and west. The minimum to the west results in only fair signal strength in Silicon Valley. Fortunately, the salt water of the Bay lies between the KGO site and most of the population of Silicon Valley. However, when the Loma Prieta quake felled one or two of KGO's towers in the late 80s, ABC did consider moving the line of towers defined by the north and south towers slightly to the west. That would have created a shallower minimum to the west and actually would have deepened the minimum to the east (toward WGY, the dominant station on 810), and other more recent additions to 810 (Kansas City, for example). As I understand it, the idea of making any change was abandoned because the paperwork hassles made the project too costly and the results would have been less than dramatic.

My guess is that KCBS has a stronger AM signal in more parts of the Bay area than KGO does. But since KCBS is a Class B and KGO is a Class A, KCBS receives much more co-channel interference at night than KGO does. KCBS even has a daytime problem from KBRT in the area around St Luis Obispo. And, of course, NO SF AM can beat KNBR's ND day/night coverage inland from the Bay. Also, KNBR is a Class A and, unlike KGO, KNBR is the dominant station on its channel--meaning that, unlike KGO, which receives no protection from WGY, KNBR receives protection from all co-channel stations.

Thanks for the education, Dan Strassburg. I wasn't trying to "prove a point," just figuring KGO "probably" had the strongest signal based on no technical knowledge whatsoever - just my childhood DXing experience.

As I said, I might have heard KNBR booming into Southern California back in the 60s, and moved on when I heard MOR music. I was more into the distant Top 40 stations, and for some reason, I found talk stations interesting.

It's only with advancing age that I can now appreciate the talents of Sinatra, Tony Bennett, and their ilk. In those days, it was my parents' music.

semoochie said:
KGO is stronger in the directions the signal is beamed. One of those is not east because they co-protect a station in Schenectady NY, which has roughly the same coverage as KGO, just the opposite direction.

I've picked up KGO from Santa Barbara clear up to near the Oregon border. That's a HUGE signal......

Lkeller said:
travisl5678 said:
During the day?

KGO usually came in as clear as local stations after sunset in the San Fernando Valley (LA) where I grew up. My mother sometimes listened to Ira Blue at night.

I travel to the north state often - in Redding, KGO comes in during the day, though there's a fair bit of hiss and static. The friends I visit there know Jennifer Jones Lee (morning anchor) - she apparenly grew up near Redding. They always ask how she's doing on KGO, and I keep telling them that they can tune her in anytime and hear for themselves.

DanStrassberg said:
KGO runs DA-1 and has a figure-eight pattern with the radiation maxima to the north (more correctly north-northwest, I think) and south (actually south-southeast, I believe). The pattern has rather deep minima to the east and west.

I spend a lot of time in the Sierras, (highway 88 above Jackson) and I can tell you that KCBS and KNBR run rings around KGO at that location. Day or night. In fact, even the 610 AM (?Is it still KEAR?) is stronger than KGO. It's very odd, because at night the protection from everyone else on 810 is still very good, and you can hear KGO clearly if you have a good radio that's free from man-made interference. But the signal is easily 10 db down from KCBS and KNBR.

Dave B.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom