• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Q. about geofencing

If the geofencing is set for a radius from the radio station, like it is for college sports, then the VPN would have to land within that radius to work.

If I may mention a long held terrestrial tradition, good fences make good neighbors. They also keep predators out.

If I may mention a long held terrestrial tradition, good fences make good neighbors. They also keep predators out.
In the case of geo-blocking, what predators?

I recall reading elsewhere here on RD a while back that stations geo-block because the music streaming royalties cost so much, and the stations do not want to pay streaming royalties for listeners outside the target area. And as digital streaming royalties increase, so will the geo-blocking.

I recall reading elsewhere here on RD a while back that stations geo-block because the music streaming royalties cost so much, and the stations do not want to pay streaming royalties for listeners outside the target area. And as digital streaming royalties increase, so will the geo-blocking.
Geo-fencing, or blocking someone from streaming outside the area comes at a premium. Many individual stations, or small groups probably couldn't justify the expense, especially with the royalties and Sound Exchange charges too.

I may be incorrect but Sound Exchange is based on number of listeners of each song and a rate per song. The station still needs to pay ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and that new 4th one for the music they play. If you add it all up, the cost per listener streaming is many times what an over the air listener costs. The cost of one streaming listener is higher than radio has ever been able to monetize. As I understand it, if you stream, you're losing money on it, period.

It seems a bit easier for non-commercial radio because the fees are lower however, the income is generally lower. That is a blanket statement because there are always many commercial stations doing far less in billing than say the local NPR affiliate. However if that NPR has a 3 share, compared to a 3 share on the commercial side, the NPR is bringing in less money.

Until a successful model is created or rates are adjusted, a radio station sure does not want to pay for a listener that is not in their market and buying from their advertisers. Geofencing lets this happen.

I may be incorrect but Sound Exchange is based on number of listeners of each song and a rate per song. The station still needs to pay ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and that new 4th one for the music they play. If you add it all up, the cost per listener streaming is many times what an over the air listener costs. The cost of one streaming listener is higher than radio has ever been able to monetize. As I understand it, if you stream, you're losing money on it, period.
You're right, and is exactly the problem. A handful of stations have tried a subscription model to offset the streaming costs, but your average radio listener doesn't want to pay for something that, when in the market, doesn't cost them a penny.
It seems a bit easier for non-commercial radio because the fees are lower however, the income is generally lower.
Some public stations also use the nationwide streaming audience for expanded fundraising.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom