• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Product Placement

Am I in the right place for this?

I was reading about how Chloe Sullivan drove a Toyota Yaris in "Smallville".

So, anyway, Jeff Rollins, as part of his morning show for Dial Global Adult Standards, casually mentions brand names like they're just part of his normal routine of talking about the music or current events. He's not Paul Harvey. I guess he's being paid to do this.

No pay, just "style." Jeff can pretty much do what he'd like to do (short of an Imus impersonation). Chick knows he's got great professional people and they go for it.

The affiliates LOVE Jeff.

Is this the same Jeff Rollins who was on mornings on Westwood's "AM Only" syndicated format several years ago? I always thought he was a total pro. Even wrote him a "fan letter" once but got no reply. Maybe because I work at a competing station.

He gets paid big bucks for being a "whacko."

His "whacko" schtick has been honed for a long time, as he typed on his Gateway conputer with a Subway Sandwich in his left hand, and a cup of Gevalia coffee in his right, occasionally glancing at the GE tv on channel 064, watching TCN where Robert Osborne is interviewing Stanley Donen about Pal Joey.

Further thought. You said, "He's a wacko, considering how conservative the music is."

Don't you think people who are over 30 or over 40 enjoy laughing?

Over recent history, both Wally Phillips and Bob Collins in Chicago, Jack Carney in St. Louis, JP McArthy in Detroit may have an opposing view. All with "nicer" humor than the current crop of "hosts" that people listen to these days. No "nappy" jokes back then.

hammondo said:
Further thought. You said, "He's a wacko, considering how conservative the music is."

Don't you think people who are over 30 or over 40 enjoy laughing?
Oh, sure we do. Actually, Joe Lacina used to play something like "Der Fuerher's Face" every day.
hammondo said:
Over recent history, both Wally Phillips and Bob Collins in Chicago, Jack Carney in St. Louis, JP McArthy in Detroit may have an opposing view. All with "nicer" humor than the current crop of "hosts" that people listen to these days. No "nappy" jokes back then.
Well, at least it's clean.

Getting back on topic, I think he must be getting paid, because even though its in the part of the show where he should be talking about music or current events, and not inside a commercial break, it sounds like a commercial.

WHY do you ask questions if you answer them (incorrectly) yourself?

How long have you been on the air in radio? I mentioned that "Wally Phillips and Bob Collins in Chicago, Jack Carney in St. Louis, JP McArthy in Detroit may have an opposing view."

I meant all those guys (also Arthur Godfrey who probably started this) ALL made fun of sponsors, and mentioned LOTS of products for free - but did not get "paid" unless a mentioned products company would send something as a "gift" AFTER the fact.

Wally Phillips ( a good friend of mine) got a CAR from FORD every year so he could do the "live read" better. He also received tv's and other "big box" stuff from ACE Hardware (who sold that stuff then), and other "gifts."

I'm also sure that Chick wouldn't care much what Jeff says - as long as the affiliates are happy and they are. Jeff and Chick are old buds.

hammondo said:
WHY do you ask questions if you answer them (incorrectly) yourself?
When did I answer a question? I was saying that's he's talking just like it's a commercial.
hammondo said:
How long have you been on the air in radio?
Huh? How many of us here only listen to the radio but enjoy having a place to rant or compliment?
hammondo said:
I mentioned that "Wally Phillips and Bob Collins in Chicago, Jack Carney in St. Louis, JP McArthy in Detroit may have an opposing view."

I meant all those guys (also Arthur Godfrey who probably started this) ALL made fun of sponsors, and mentioned LOTS of products for free - but did not get "paid" unless a mentioned products company would send something as a "gift" AFTER the fact.

Wally Phillips ( a good friend of mine) got a CAR from FORD every year so he could do the "live read" better. He also received tv's and other "big box" stuff from ACE Hardware (who sold that stuff then), and other "gifts."

I'm also sure that Chick wouldn't care much what Jeff says - as long as the affiliates are happy and they are. Jeff and Chick are old buds.
I'm sure that's true. But like I said, it sounds just like a commercial.

Here's an example. Not the exact words, but you get the idea. James Taylor's "Fire and Rain". And speaking of rain, Michelin tires ...

Most radio groups allow their on air talent to "endorse products" for a fee in addition to free product. This can be very lucrative additional income for them! Our midday gal is currently endorsing 15 different products...at about $200 per endorsement run PLUS free stuff. Advertisers love it, too! Gives their products a personal touch.

urbansales said:
Most radio groups allow their on air talent to "endorse products" for a fee in addition to free product. This can be very lucrative additional income for them! Our midday gal is currently endorsing 15 different products...at about $200 per endorsement run PLUS free stuff. Advertisers love it, too! Gives their products a personal touch.
Yeah, it's nice.

urbansales said:
Our midday gal is currently endorsing 15 different products...at about $200 per endorsement run PLUS free stuff. Advertisers love it, too! Gives their products a personal touch.

Well now. I totally agree with using local talent to deliver paid endorsements... but FIFTEEN DIFFERENT PRODUCTS?

As a listener I am not certain I would find this personality all that convincing or trustworthy, The station--and her own--credibility are really out there for constant judgement.

Are these just live reads of prepared copy? Or does she ad lib from fact sheet including her personal experience with each product? How many of these spots are allowed in each stop set? Do the other personalities have testimonial endorsement spots also?

In our market (large but not a major) the talent is limited to two endorsement clients. And Traffic is not allowed to schedule more than one of this type of spot in any stop set.

The talent is paid $50. per day to "produce" one live spot which runs in their own daypart only. The fee is paid directly to the talent by the client. It does not go through the station business office, no deductions are taken and the cost per spot does not have to be adjusted for rate purposes.

However, since this is a premium opportunity to the select clients who use it, the spot rate is higher than a regular commercial.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom