• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Power Surge - power "quality" worldwide?

What is the physical size vs capacity? You have a whole building on a single device? I ask as I have never even seen one!
Each of the flywheel UPS's in the photo are synchronized with each other for a total capacity of 1MW. Each flywheel unit is about 48" wide by 52" deep. These two run our critical systems including transmission, satellite uplinks, downlinks/receivers, L-band routers, fiber repeaters, server farm, and other gear that is sensitive to voltage or frequency fluctuation usually found on utility power. We have two other more traditional 1MW UPS's for running building lighting, PC workstations, HVAC systems, etc.

Last edited:
What's the cost to replace the capacitors.
Parts and installation are $7K each, so $14K for the two. Cheaper than buying new lead acid deep cycle batteries like a traditional UPS.
Fly wheel UPS systems are nice. No messy batteries and takes up less space. That VYCON unit looks nice.
It's been really great at protecting critical systems. Reliability is way up when essentially generating your own power 24/7.
What UPS does it interface with. I see EATON work with VYCON.
Our other two conventional UPS's are EATON. As mentioned, they run different things in the building. The VYCON flywheels are independent, used for things that run better not on utility power.
Knowing what I know now, if I were running a bunch of transmitter plants out on some island, putting a flywheel UPS ahead of my main transmitter and rack gear would be worth the investment in reliability and less downtime alone.

If you take a look at the one touchscreen, you'll see there have been 75 discharge events this year. Looking at the log, most are brief, in the neighborhood of 2-6ms. Equipment running on the flywheel generator side never see those.

Last edited:
Parts and installation are $7K each, so $14K for the two. Cheaper than buying new lead acid deep cycle batteries like a traditional UPS.
And considerably less poluting.

Do the VYCON units generate any physical heat (I've never known anyone to have one)? Do they make much noise in operation (when called upon for duty), as compared to just sitting there? Are there transfer switches involved with the units, or are they constantly on/in-line, like a double-conversion UPS. BTW, are your Eaton UPS' considered double-conversion? Kelly A, I applaud you for so much devotion and attention you pay to (your) maintaining clean and uninterruptible AC. That's like an engineers dream come true.

Since I was discussing lightning, have any of your units (Eaton UPS', or VYCON's) ever sustained any lightning damage, and is that something you have to consider with these units? Is it safe to assume you have separate dedicated AC feeds to your in-house electronics from the VYCON's and the Eaton UPS'? And if that is the case, can one generator then feed both of those routes? Roughly speaking, how many batteries are incorporated in a 1 MW UPS system? Are they all hot swappable? Are all batteries replaced at once? Sorry for all of the questions, but it sounds like you have a very unique setup.

Do the VYCON units generate any physical heat (I've never known anyone to have one)?
A little bit, not that much.
Do they make much noise in operation (when called upon for duty), as compared to just sitting there? Are there transfer switches involved with the units, or are they constantly on/in-line, like a double-conversion UPS. BTW, are your Eaton UPS' considered double-conversion? Kelly A, I applaud you for so much devotion and attention you pay to (your) maintaining clean and uninterruptible AC. That's like an engineers dream come true.
Think of flywheel UPS's as a motor-generator. Utility power runs an electrical motor, which spins a perfectly balanced flywheel supported by magnetically levitated bearings. Connected to the flywheel is a generator. (technically an alternator) That generator provides 480 3 phase AC power at 60Hz to run the critical gear connected to the UPS. The motor/generator is enclosed in a large vacuum chamber to eliminate atmospheric resistance to the spinning flywheel/levitating bearings or other spinning components. Running in a vacuum also eliminates concerns of humidity, condensation, pollution, or drying-out of components caused by our atmosphere. Heat from the motor and generator are conducted in free space to the vacuum chamber housing, which is shaped like a giant heat sink and carried away from the cabinet via fans. The fans drawing hot air off the vacuum chamber make most of the noise.
Since I was discussing lightning, have any of your units (Eaton UPS', or VYCON's) ever sustained any lightning damage, and is that something you have to consider with these units?
None with the VYCON units. The motor of the motor-generator side connected to the utility power has silicone avalanche diodes to protect damage to the motor(s). It would take quite the surge to harm the motor part. Both the VYCON's and EATON's have logged some pretty wicked surges, but have always shrugged it off.

Is it safe to assume you have separate dedicated AC feeds to your in-house electronics from the VYCON's and the Eaton UPS'? And if that is the case, can one generator then feed both of those routes?
The way it is now, the VYCON's and EATON UPS's have different loads. We're scheduled to replace the EATON's next year, and have talked about tying the two UPS systems together, which in theory would create an additional layer of backup. I've been leaning to not go that route, instead just replacing the EATON UPS's with a newer model. My father used to say: 'If it works, don't fix it'-words ring in my head when we have that discussion. Tying the two systems together add additional complexity.
We have one Caterpillar 2.5MW diesel generator and a Kohler 500kW that backs up the entire building. When the power goes out, the CAT takes the entire building load, including powering all the UPS's. It essentially becomes the utility.
Roughly speaking, how many batteries are incorporated in a 1 MW UPS system?
I believe each of the EATON's have something like 38 batteries?
Are they all hot swappable? Are all batteries replaced at once? Sorry for all of the questions, but it sounds like you have a very unique setup.
When it comes to these big commercial UPS's, battery life and replacement depends on when the batteries were installed and how an individual battery degrades. As a rule, you don't want to get into a position where you have to replace all the batteries at once, because that requires bypassing the UPS entirely. We have a service tech come in two times a year and check the status of the individual batteries and overall condition. If one or more batteries are showing signs of degradation, they get replaced. I can also log into the UI from my desk at any time to see how the batteries are performing, or walk downstairs and look at it on the individual touchscreen, right on the UPS.

Since hearing about Flywheel UPS Technology I have been interested in them. Thanks for sharing. Every time any one talks about whole facility UPS protection I say Google flywheel UPS and they look at me and say what is that.

I know Cat also makes a flywheel UPS but the VYCON units sound like they may be more reliable.

Last year FEMA upgraded the set up at 710. Now I have 4 generators. Two new Kohler units, A 225Kw and a 20KW. And I still have the original International Harvester 300KW unit and the Cat installed in the 90's. All are able to go online. The 20KW runs the two FEMA trailer units if the other 3 generator fail. The Kohler fires up first. If it fails the CAT starts after 35 seconds. I have to manually switch in the IH unit.

Curios what you think of the New Kohler units with the touch screen. the touch screen washed out in any day light which I don't like. I'm sure they are fine inside but outside you need to shade the display even with the filtered sunshine of the PNW.

I know Cat also makes a flywheel UPS but the VYCON units sound like they may be more reliable.
Have no first hand knowledge of which is more reliable. I just inherited these VYCON's. It wouldn't surprise me if the designs were mostly the same, just from different brands.
Curios what you think of the New Kohler units with the touch screen. the touch screen washed out in any day light which I don't like. I'm sure they are fine inside but outside you need to shade the display even with the filtered sunshine of the PNW.
Among the various generator transfer switches around our plant, someone at one time thought it would be a good idea to install one of them outside. During the summer months, the display on that transfer switch was being baked in the sun for two hours a day.
Before our planned simulated utility outage test, I checked that panel and discovered the plastic membrane had deteriorated to the point where it was unreadable. Being that switch was over ten years old, sourcing a replacement touch screen was a bitch. I think once found, the replacement panel was around $12K. The installation tech said he'd seen touch displays fail not just from UV exposure, but from thermal cycles of heat and cold being outside. And where are generators usually located?
Other than that one display, fortunately all of our touch/membrane screens are located indoors in climate controlled conditions.

Kelly A, is there any chance we could see a simple basic sketch block diagram of generator/UPS/VYCON placement and routing? From your descriptions, I'm guessing the generators (and generator transfer switches) are pre-VYCON(s), otherwise, if the VYCON's were first in line (immediately after building fed utility power feeders), I guess the flywheels would eventually completely stop spinning, when loss of local utility power takes place (and maybe that's OK, because by that time the VYCON's have done their job, and the generators have already transferred on line). Actually, to me, having utility power hit generator transfer switches first seems to make the most sense. UPS' and VYCON's would be inserted after generator power. Make sense? I guess that's what I've always done in the past (in my case, individual double-conversion UPS units in each room, dedicated for that room's equipment. All post generator transfer switches).

I hear you on the touch screen failure no mater where they are located. Had one go nuts on a Nautel GV30. First it put the transmitter in local and then it turned the transmitter off.

And the new transfer switch/panel for the Kohler is a touch screen. Another reason I insisted the older Cat generator, that is still in good shape, be left in line as a backup to the Kohler.

Now that I'm monitoring a transmitter on WTM1, they have nastier power than my little Island.

The Cat Flywheel is like the VYCON but does not operate in a Vacuum. So the bearings need to be replaced after several years.

With the pain of Batteries for a whole facility unit, Flywheel systems are becoming an economical option. Glad the topic for this thread has gone in this direction.

I hear you on the touch screen failure no mater where they are located. Had one go nuts on a Nautel GV30. First it put the transmitter in local and then it turned the transmitter off.
Had that same thing happen with a Nautel FM in Portland. The touch screen would literally come to life, put the TX into local, and eventually shut the transmitter off. Happened so randomly too. Nautel service denied the issue until it started happening to every one of their customers with that screen. The touchscreen is sexy and all, but if it hampers reliability? Give me meters and buttons instead.

I leave the AUI logged out and removed the auto logon when the AUI boots up.
So they haven't fixed that yet?? Why am I not surprised.. If I were buying another FM transmitter these days, I'd go Rohde and Schwartz.
For AM transmitters, you're pretty much stuck with Nautel.

They sent out a new Bezel and mount for the touch screen that was supposed to not stress the touch screen. Turned out the touch screen was going bad so it was replaced which solved the problem. We leave it logged out just in case the problem comes back. A clue that it's going nuts is gibberish on the login screen.

The backup on Cougar is a 10KW flexiva installed in January, 101.5 put in a Flexiva at the same time.

They sent out a new Bezel and mount for the touch screen that was supposed to not stress the touch screen. Turned out the touch screen was going bad so it was replaced which solved the problem. We leave it logged out just in case the problem comes back. A clue that it's going nuts is gibberish on the login screen.
Sometimes the KISS Principal is the right way to go. Adding sexy touch screens to transmitters that are supposed to just sit there and run, creates needless complexity and lessens reliability. Maybe in ten years some guy like Harold Hallikainen will come up with a retrofit kit that will replace Nautel's flaky touchscreens with buttons, knobs and analog meters.
The backup on Cougar is a 10KW flexiva installed in January, 101.5 put in a Flexiva at the same time.
I've heard good things about the Flexiva line, but would be concerned about the future of GatesAir, now that they've been purchased by Thomson out of France. Thomson has a track record of buying U.S. based transmitter manufacturers in order to make headway in the U.S. market, only to screw it up and sell-off what's left. Comark TV transmitters was a prime example of that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom