• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Pirate question

OK, I'm not trying to be racist but with every pirate radio station I've heard here in South Florida, they ALL, and I'm not making this up, seem to be run by either Blacks, Jamaicans or some derivitive thereof. I understand the whole FCC vs. Pirate/Free Public Airwaves discussion so leave that alone. I just want to know, why do we not hear other pirate voices here? Are these the same few folks who are determined to screw up the airwaves for legitimate broadcasters or is this more of a militant segment of the populus who wish to overthrow the government. I'll admit things aren't perfect but can't we get more VARIETY in our pirate broadcasters? I'd be interested in hearing how Spanish folks pirate a station (and I'm sure they do, I just haven't found any yet).

Again, this is just an observation, nothing offensive intended. If I have, please accept my apologies. I am just curious.

> OK, I'm not trying to be racist but with every pirate radio
> station I've heard here in South Florida, they ALL, and I'm
> not making this up, seem to be run by either Blacks,
> Jamaicans or some derivitive thereof.

From talking to some folks in the market, the biggest group of pirates seems to be Haitians. and the belief among that group is that no one will listen to them, just as was true in Haiti. This may be a product of having grown up in an environment whre opening ones mouth to authorites could get one put in jail or killed.

> I'd be interested in hearing how
> Spanish folks pirate a station (and I'm sure they do, I just
> haven't found any yet).

There are not enough Spaniards in the US to open a station targeted at other folks from Spain.

If you mean "spanish speaking" you will find that the few indicedts of Spanish language pirates, like Detroit and Kansas City, have been evangelical Christian radio stations and totally non-secular. Other than that, it is very very uncommon to find a Spanish language pirate.

I am not in Florida anymore so I could not hear this myself. But I heard of a pirate who was a fan of WKBW Buffalo and played airchecks and jingles from WKBW.

> Jamaicans or some derivitive thereof. I understand the
> whole FCC vs. Pirate/Free Public Airwaves discussion so
> leave that alone. I just want to know, why do we not hear
> other pirate voices here? Are these the same few folks who
> are determined to screw up the airwaves for legitimate
> broadcasters or is this more of a militant segment of the
> populus who wish to overthrow the government. I'll admit
> things aren't perfect but can't we get more VARIETY in our
> pirate broadcasters? I'd be interested in hearing how
>
> Again, this is just an observation, nothing offensive
> intended. If I have, please accept my apologies. I am just
> curious.
>
<P ID="signature">______________
[email protected]</P>

> From talking to some folks in the market, the biggest group
> of pirates seems to be Haitians. and the belief among that
> group is that no one will listen to them, just as was true
> in Haiti. This may be a product of having grown up in an
> environment whre opening ones mouth to authorites could get
> one put in jail or killed.
>

There is also a french religious pirate on 99.5 and a hip-hop station on 97.7, as well as a reggae station here in Dania Beach on 103.9. The antenna is very blatently placed by Federal Highway on the roof of a rental car store.

I would enjoy seeing an english pirate/free radio type station pop-up, personally. Hearing long stop-sets of hip-hop clubs on the pirates irritate me.

Radio-X<P ID="signature">______________
I wasn't born in the south, but I got down here as fast as I could...
</P>

> Jamaicans or some derivitive thereof. I understand the
> whole FCC vs. Pirate/Free Public Airwaves discussion so
> leave that alone. I just want to know, why do we not hear
> other pirate voices here? Are these the same few folks who
> are determined to screw up the airwaves for legitimate
> broadcasters or is this more of a militant segment of the
> populus who wish to overthrow the government. I'll admit
> things aren't perfect but can't we get more VARIETY in our
> pirate broadcasters? I'd be interested in hearing how
>
> Again, this is just an observation, nothing offensive
> intended. If I have, please accept my apologies. I am just
> curious.
>

Surfer, I know that between 1997 and mid-1998, there were a couple of different disco and dance pirates operating on both 99.5 and 91.7. Both were run by the same folks, and I believe both broadcast from a home (or homes) in the Westchester/West Miami area. They focused on a lot of the classic "Miami disco" sound of the late 70s/early 80s, both the mainstream and some of the more obscure hits, and some 80s freestyle as well. I recall hearing Kid Creole and Coconuts and Heaven 17 mixed in with a helping of Donna Summer, Expose, Nancy Martinez, etc. Then every so often they throw on a disco hit that had done well in Miami back in the day but was not really very mainstream, such as Pat Marano and Erotic Drum Band's "Love Disco Style" or Passion's "In New York".

For a while, 99.5 even had a regular DJ rotation that they stayed consistent with day to day. I recall DJ Gordy, DJ Spin, and DJ Terrorism as some of the mainstays. They even tried a live morning show w/ some badly done comedy bits sprinkled in, including one of the guys doing an "English lady" character by the name of Miss Crumpetts (horrible).

The funny thing was that WPLG Channel 10 in Miami decided to do an expose in early '98 on the 11 O'Clock News on pirates in Miami/Ft. Lauderdale. They focused a lot on "The Playhouse" 97.7 FM (hip-hop and R&B) and 99.5. "DJ Gordy" even allowed himself to be interviewed on camera. Guess what happened literally a week later? Off the air courtesy of an FCC bust. Many of the same folks, near as I could tell, then went on to form "Fever 91.7" a month or so later, albeit with less organization than the previous station, and that too went by the wayside a few months later.

I was a big fan of the music being played on both stations and was sorry to see them go.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by jcblanco22 on 12/11/05 05:13 AM.</FONT></P>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom