• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Phoenix Radio Ratings: September 2023

Interesting john. Given that I only remember the "pop music" KZZP from 1983 onward, what do you mean by "chicken-rock"? That's a term I don't think I've ever heard. 🤔
Very common term in the earlier 1970's to define early Adult Contemporary stations which played Top 40, usually called "rock", without the hard rock and hard urban songs: thus, "chicken rock".

Very common term in the earlier 1970's to define early Adult Contemporary stations which played Top 40, usually called "rock", without the hard rock and hard urban songs: thus, "chicken rock".
And both KOPA and KZZP had pretty conservative playlists at that time, but there was still demand for rhythmic music on the radio. That's why KUKQ got such good numbers in their early days as an urban station. Once the FM Top 40s started playing rhythmic product, 1060's ratings dropped.

KEZ pretty much is always #1 or close to it in the ratings for Phoneix. I think KMXP isn't as successful though they probably play a small amount of 80's titles but KMXP is pretty successful.

Interesting john. Given that I only remember the "pop music" KZZP from 1983 onward, what do you mean by "chicken-rock"? That's a term I don't think I've ever heard. 🤔
Here's an unscoped aircheck of KZZP from 1981:

"You Better You Bet" - The Who
(Top of Hour ID 7PM)
"Ramblin' Man" - The Allman Brothers Band
"You Make My Dreams" - Hall & Oates
(stopset - Tom Petty in LA flyaway promo, Bills Records & Audio, National Coffee Service)
"Life Of Illusion" - Joe Walsh
"Let It Be" - The Beatles
"Reelin' In The Years" - Steely Dan
(stopset - Musicland, Picadilly Fashion, Missouri 7 Restaurant)
"Fool In Love With You" - Jim Photoglo
(a jingle that sounds like Steve Goddard singing for a bumper sticker promo)
"Jumpin' Jack Flash" - Rolling Stones
"Slow Hand" - Pointer Sisters
Part 2 is unscoped Goddard:
"Long Train Runnin'" - Doobie Brothers
(Goddard announces that the Ozzy concert that night is postponed)
(stopset - Tom Petty LA Flyaway promo, Leon Redbone concert at Dooley's, 7-11, Bobby Ball Academy)
"Believe It Or Not (theme from the Greatest American Hero) - Joey Scarbury
"Time" - Alan Parsons Project
"Whenever I Call You Friend" - Kenny Loggins/Stevie Nicks
(stopset - Picadilly Fashions, Bartender's Instant Cocktails, Berge Ford (with the vintage jingle!))
"It's Gonna Be All Right" - Smile (Rate A Record feature)
"Boy From New York City" - Manhattan Transfer
(the Goddard-sung jingle/sticker promo)
"How 'Bout Us" - Champaign
"Lido Shiffle" - Boz Skaggs
(stopset - 7-UP, Mingles Nightclub, Radio Shack)
"Gemini Dream" - Moody Blues
"Is It You" - Lee Ritenour
(stopset - Cowboys Nightclub, Courtesy Chevrolet, Great Expectations Hair)
"Modern Girl" - Sheena Easton

1983, unscoped Dave Otto/Paul Talbot/Natalie Windsor (the short-lived morning show that replaced Brandmeier)

More hits, less yacht rock, as there are better pop songs to pick from. The station still skews towards rock titles.

I love these unscoped airchecks because the spots, while being well produced for the day, are kinda hokey by today's standards.

"Mr Roboto" - Styx
(Dueling Tabloids bit)
"1999" - Prince
(weather into stopset: International Fitness, Rheem air conditioners)
"Baby Jane" - Rod Stewart
(parody song - "DWI Polka")
"Takin' It To The Streets" - Doobie Brothers
(Natalie Windsor news break with a Mesa AMC/Jeep spot and Paramount Pictures "Staying Alive" spot within. It's probably 5 minutes with the spots included.)
(KZZP Jingle)
"Too Shy" - Kajagoogoo
(bit on street cruising)
(stopset - Valley National Bank)
"Roll Me Away" - Bob Seger
(contest - Valley Art Cinema tickets)
"Born To Run" - Bruce Springsteen
(stopset)
"Come Dancing" - The Kinks
(top of 9:00 hour, live legal ID, Natalie Windsor news break, a 3 minute newscast)
(KZZP jingle)
"Never Gonna Let You Go" - Sergio Mendes
"Rosanna" - Toto
"Always Something There To Remind Me" - Naked Eyes

(Top of Hour ID 7PM)
(stopset - Tom Petty in LA flyaway promo, Bills Records & Audio, National Coffee Service)
(stopset - Tom Petty LA Flyaway promo, Leon Redbone concert at Dooley's, 7-11, Bobby Ball Academy)
(stopset - Picadilly Fashions, Bartender's Instant Cocktails, Berge Ford (with the vintage jingle!))
Funny that Goddard mentioned Ozzy's postponed show, which incidentally would've been the Blizzard of Ozz tour in June 1981. It's fair to say that KZZP never played his music, especially in the early 80s. Fun fact: Motorhead opened the show.

It was postponed because part of the roof of the Coliseum (where it was originally scheduled) reportedly caved in due to heavy rain at the time, according to the Arizona Republic. The long-running Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus was also affected as well.

Anyway, Ozzy moved his show to the ASU Activity Center a couple of days later. It must have been a blast! :cool:

KZZP from 1985 thru 1990 was probably the most aggressive musically CHR in the nation.
They played rap songs and moved some into power before the urban stations even added them.
They played dance hits like Will to Power that only a few of the new dance rhythmic touched.
They picked out a few of the best alternative songs from KROQ.
Then the new pop hits which were the core immediately got hot rotations, sometimes before even conservative Z100 added them, or played outside of evenings.
The ratings proved that they picked the right songs.
You were hearing radio at it's best, a station that was already committed to trends that didn't exist yet. That defines cool and that if you wanted to know what was next you had no better place to go.
I love how upset that made makes the so called radio pros who programmed by fear because anyone can be a follower, to correctly predict hits and music cultural trends is a true talent that a very select few have ever been able to pull off.

(Top of Hour ID 7PM)
That is definitely different than it is now. Now it is songs like Paint The Town Red, Shivers, Anti-Hero, Better Place, Chemical etc. in which the songs KZZP plays isn’t always age appropriate for kids. Some may not be extremely inappropriate but 4 year olds can’t listen to any curse words period because they will repeat the words not knowing they are bad or what they mean. Also, I think that a lot of the songs are not good to listen to period with too much curse words, songs about immoral sex (usually lust, premarital sex, etc.), drugs, etc. I think one of the bands called Maroon 5 has Adam Levine who is hated for cheating on his wife but I still think people should forgive him anyways.

Back
Top Bottom