• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Phoenix Radio Ratings: April 2023

I know these are useless 6+ numbers, but I never thought I'd see the day where K-BACH outranked KZZP.

With a cume of nearly half a million people, a share like that means you're at best everyone's third favorite radio station. Sure, people listen, but they punch out often.

I know these are useless 6+ numbers, but I never thought I'd see the day where K-BACH outranked KZZP.
Or the Oasis with almost no billing outranking KTAR, with the market's most billing. There's much to be said for the revenue haul of spoken word formats in major markets.

Top 5+ demo rankings analysis for ages 25-54, 18-34 + 18-49:

25-54: 1. KSLX 2. KESZ 3. KMXP 4. KUPD 5. KALV 6T. KVVA (up from #15) 6T. KMLE 8. KLNZ
18-34: 1. KESZ 2. KDKB 3. KMXP 4. KALV 5T. KMLE 5T. KNIX 8T. KSLX 8T. KUPD 8T. KZCE
18-49: 1. KESZ 2. KMXP 3. KDKB 4. KALV 5. KUPD 6. KSLX (down from #2)

Rank these by cume. It tells a different story.
Cheers!
But advertisers don't buy cume. They buy by how many people hear each ad. Of course, they don't buy by share, either... they use "rating" but Nielsen only gives away share data.

Alternative seems to have caught on, with a nice showing for KDKB. Even out performing KUPD in both the demos and 6+. Can't recall that happening before.
They seem to be playing less currents as of late. Which is disappointing to me personally, but I’d rather see this and watch the format survive rather than the “alternative”.

Or the Oasis with almost no billing outranking KTAR, with the market's most billing. There's much to be said for the revenue haul of spoken word formats in major markets.
Oh, I believe this. I remember the numbers that KOY used to pull in playing MOR and Standards, catering to the same age group that Wow does now.

The 12+ numbers were impressive, but the 25-54, not so much.

I'm not saying this to disparage Sebastian - he's found his audience. I'm just saying that type of format requires a good local, direct sales force. You end up talking less about the ratings and more about increasing foot traffic or making the client's phone ring.

In many respects, the sellers from KOAI and KTAR are using the same tactics because of the grey-haired demos. It's just that KTAR has decades of calling on and delivering for those accounts working in their favor, and probably more avails in the hour, too.

They seem to be playing less currents as of late. Which is disappointing to me personally, but I’d rather see this and watch the format survive rather than the “alternative”.

There is just way too much old music on 93.3 that's destined for 94.5 (both stations already play Violent Femmes, e.g.) In comparison: KWSS-LP plays new-release Billy Idol, new-release Duran Duran and countless indie-label artists that 93.3 may or may not get around to playing years from now. No comparison. Alt-"mold" is a TERRIBLE commercial radio format - it won't survive with so much old music in current rotation - 93.3 still plays Nirvana and OLD Smashing Pumpkins in regular rotation. It's depressing.

Alternative seems to have caught on, with a nice showing for KDKB. Even out performing KUPD in both the demos and 6+. Can't recall that happening before.

Alternative to what? BTS and Post Malone? Even with Taylor Swift's assist, they're barely playing The National's new album. (I don't actually know how accurate that statement is since 93.3 is a de facto oldies station to me.)

I'm not saying this to disparage Sebastian - he's found his audience. I'm just saying that type of format requires a good local, direct sales force. You end up talking less about the ratings and more about increasing foot traffic or making the client's phone ring.

In many respects, the sellers from KOAI and KTAR are using the same tactics because of the grey-haired demos. It's just that KTAR has decades of calling on and delivering for those accounts working in their favor, and probably more avails in the hour, too.

More importantly, that good local, direct sales person can take home a whole lot more money for themself by working for KTAR. If I were a veteran seller looking to make a career change, I'd be knocking on Bonneville's door long before I'd go to The Wow Factor...or any of the rim shots.

Some of them (including Hot, Mega and The Bounce) are pulling better numbers than their signals have in years, but the challenge is always whether or not you can sell it.

I am a fan of dance music. As such, it was cool to see Pride Radio with a 0.5 and a 0.3 in the last two books, on 96.9-HD2. Energy Arizona may be a distant memory, but Dance Hits still air in the area in some fashion!

I am a fan of dance music. As such, it was cool to see Pride Radio with a 0.5 and a 0.3 in the last two books, on 96.9-HD2. Energy Arizona may be a distant memory, but Dance Hits still air in the area in some fashion!
Pride Radio is a GREAT dance format with an excellent balance of currents and classics. Thrilled to see it getting enough listening on an HD-2 to show up.

If you really know how the PPM system works it's really hard to believe in any of these ratings.
Have you noticed that really aside from KEZ each station seems to have its moment in the sun, then fades away for another year only to magically reappear down the road. There's probably one new participant that is a fan of KMXP, KDKB and KALV that suddenly come out of nowhere. Good for them but WOW Factor success is probably all from one meter who listens often and for long periods of time. Once that one person is no longer participating it will look as though the station went in the toilet.

Last edited:
If you really know how the PPM system works it's really hard to believe in any of these ratings.
The system is actually quite valid. The economics of radio are what limits the sample size... and that has always been the case with all manner of polls and surveys that use samples to predict the behaviour of any universe.
Have you noticed that really aside from KEZ each station seems to have its moment in the sun, then fades away for another year only to magically reappear down the road.
Much of that is due to competition with each station striving to seize as much of the finite 100 share point universe as they can.
There's probably one new participant that is a fan of KMXP, KDKB and KALV that suddenly come out of nowhere.
While an entire family or dwelling unit can slightly influence the results of the ratings, it takes more than that to seriously impact total shares.
Good for them but WOW Factor success is probably all from one meter who listens often and for long periods of time.
It's not. If one is a subscriber and looks at their results by ZIP Code clusters you can see that the audience is pretty well distributed in all the areas where the station has a usable signal.
Once that one person is no longer participating it will look as though the station went in the toilet.
It does not work quite as simply as that.

It's just that when he first proposed this format, his main argument was that his audience had money, and advertisers would want to reach them. We don't hear him say that anymore.
For some reason, there is an enduring belief that Phoenix is filled with old people and, as a consequence, advertisers will see them as a goldmine of sales opportunities.

It's been about three-quarters of a century since doctors would send TB patients "to the desert" to recover in the warm dry air. Instead, we have the largest undergraduate enrollment of any university in the U.S. down in Tempe and a rather dynamic economy developing in technology and research.

And, like all huge metro areas, little one-location retailers can't afford radio. And the shops and services that serve the entire "Valley of the Sun" through multiple locations generally have a local ad agency. The rest are national and regional brands that all have agencies. In all those cases, the resistance to buying time on a station with an average listener age in the 60's is huge.

Back
Top Bottom