• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

PBS Pledge Week: it's baaaack!

As mentioned, I always give to my PBS and NPR stations, but I generally don't watch or listen to the pledge breaks, either...And the reason I support both is because I appreciate their regular programming. Unless it's something I really want to watch, I rarely watch the programming specifically during the pledge times. First, because some of those are becoming old and dated and I've seen them, but also, the Doo Wop and other programming where they bring back all the big music acts from the 50s and 60s are horribly produced, with lots of canned screaming and cheering inserted at certain times. So fake and amateurish.

Many of those programs are 10 to 15 years old, you're right. The only thing I watch on PBS is occasional Antiques Roadshow episodes. Even then, I can't remember the last time I watched PBS...albeit my TV viewing is down 95% since the pandemic began.

PBS should stop begging for money main programs will stay as-is and PBS can make it on its own since Big Bird pays millions to PBS 1 million times over PBS waste money why they beg every year and it should stop. My tax dollars shouldn't go to PBS and those that want to donate to PBS should but tax dollars shouldn't be going to PBS since they make a lot of money with Big Bird as I said before.

PBS should stop begging for money main programs will stay as-is and PBS can make it on its own since Big Bird pays millions to PBS 1 million times over PBS waste money why they beg every year and it should stop. My tax dollars shouldn't go to PBS and those that want to donate to PBS should but tax dollars shouldn't be going to PBS since they make a lot of money with Big Bird as I said before.
"Big Bird", - actually the television program Sesame Street, is produced by Sesame Workshop and is not a part of PBS, nor does PBS get revenue from the sale of Sesame Street merchandise or products. The only real affiliation is that PBS used to air first run episodes of Sesame Street from 1969 to 2015. Since 2015, HBO (now HBO Max) has picked up the first run episodes, and just under a year later, PBS can air them in second run. In short, Big Bird is not "paying millions to PBS".

The argument has been made before as to whether or not public broadcasting (NPR radio and PBS TV) should be publicly funded. Others may know how much or what percentage of their funding comes from the government, but according to my local NPR affiliate, the majority of their funding which is required to pay staff, buy programming, maintain the studios and transmitters, etc. comes from private and corporate donations, which is exactly why they're always "begging for money". - Which, incidentally, they'll need to do even more often and perhaps in a higher profile way if you also want to take away their public funding.

Last edited:
Others may know how much or what percentage of their funding comes from the government,

Depends what you mean by "the government." This whole conversation about the government paying for public broadcasting took place 40 years ago when Ronald Reagan was president. He wanted to cut funding, so he changed the whole process. Today, federal funding is based on the amount of money the station raises locally. So that's why local public stations need to beg for money. The federal money is delivered in what are called "challenge grants." So they challenge the local stations to raise money in order to receive the federal money. The more money they raise locally, the more they qualify for to get from the government. The main thing is that this isn't a welfare program, where they don't have to do anything to get the money. There are lots of hoops to jump through, and lots of paperwork to file.

So the simple answer to your question about what percentage of a station's money comes from the government depends on the station and how much they raise from other places.

And think again Everybody...PBS' December Pledge Week is back with new specials of Celebrating PBS Newshour, Sarah Brightman, Celtic Woman, The Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra Christmas Show and more... plus encore presentations of Yanni: Live at the Acropolis, Great Performances: Andrea Bocelli at Central Park, The 1992 Great Performances Special of Unforgettable with Natalie Cole, Suze Orman, and more...

Yep, it's about time for me to make my annual donation to my local NPR station and the one PBS station I sometimes watch. The envelopes and flyers reminding everyone it's that time of year have been arriving in the mailbox for the past few weeks.

Depends what you mean by "the government." This whole conversation about the government paying for public broadcasting took place 40 years ago when Ronald Reagan was president. He wanted to cut funding, so he changed the whole process. Today, federal funding is based on the amount of money the station raises locally. So that's why local public stations need to beg for money. The federal money is delivered in what are called "challenge grants." So they challenge the local stations to raise money in order to receive the federal money. The more money they raise locally, the more they qualify for to get from the government. The main thing is that this isn't a welfare program, where they don't have to do anything to get the money. There are lots of hoops to jump through, and lots of paperwork to file.

So the simple answer to your question about what percentage of a station's money comes from the government depends on the station and how much they raise from other places.
How much goes to the Corporation for Public Broadcasting and how much goes to the local stations?

How much goes to the Corporation for Public Broadcasting and how much goes to the local stations?

The congressional appropriation goes directly to CPB, who then distribute the money.

The only purpose for the CPB is as a distributor of money. They distribute money to the local stations and to program producers.

According to that, they distribute more than 70% of their funding to local stations.

As mentioned, I always give to my PBS and NPR stations, but I generally don't watch or listen to the pledge breaks, either...And the reason I support both is because I appreciate their regular programming. Unless it's something I really want to watch, I rarely watch the programming specifically during the pledge times. First, because some of those are becoming old and dated and I've seen them, but also, the Doo Wop and other programming where they bring back all the big music acts from the 50s and 60s are horribly produced, with lots of canned screaming and cheering inserted at certain times. So fake and amateurish.
Rick Steves who does a travel show about The EU on some PBS affiliates on the weekend his shows are a source for pledge programming in some areas. I know on the weekends Rick Steves will do one from where ever he's doing the pledge programming from and he will tell viewers to donate to the specific stations in some cases like KQED, KVIE most notably. Or in a generic form like donate to your public television stations in some cases.

I agree. There are rules about how those health products can be presented. It's a controversial issue in the PBS community. PBS itself doesn't condone the health care products shows.
But those health talks that air on PBS that sounds like they came out of the Dr. Oz segment are made by the affiliates and not so much PBS itself

Case and point. The movie in question about cancer and the snake oil allegations was from KBDI-TV in Denver the PBS affiliate in question.

This is how PBS affiliates around the country get some of their pledge programming from.

Last edited:

Some of the complaints over PBS having infomercials have their origin in the PBS Ombudsman column directed at KBDI Denver a secondary PBS affiliate in Colorado. In able for some secondary stations to remain on the air they would resort to this. Some of the secondary PBS stations are where some of the Infomercial have their origins in.

I will have to admit, at least here in Washington state, the term 'pledge drive' has never been the same without the late and great George Ray of KCTS. If you saw him, you KNEW there was a pledge drive going on (or they would be cooking some yummy treats for KCTS Cooks). I remember growing up and seeing his warm presence on channel 9 a few times a year. Albeit the pledge programming is mostly junk now. Most of the time its health and prescription seminars.
I have found a bunch of old KYVE Yakima pledge drives in the past on VHS tapes, and it's amazing to see the difference in quality between a large-market station and one like KYVE...they had a phone bank of about 4-6 people, a couple of hosts, and the phones rang at an occasional rate. I have one where they sang a corny song in the tune of 'Let it Snow' to encourage a donation. You wouldn't see KCTS get away with that, or KCET, or any other large-market PBS.

I've been rewatching Red Dwarf with my wife, and I can't really convey how much fun it was watching these on Saturday nights with pledge drive breaks starring George Ray in between the episodes. Back before binge watching became a thing, it was a whole night of binge watching with everyone watching KCTS.

Think Again Everybody, PBS' March 2022 Pledge Campaign is BACK with Brand New Specials like An Evening with Lerner & Loewe: Broadway in Concert, Deepak Chopra: Your Path to Enlightment, Some Masterpiece Specials(Endeavour: The Evolution, Around the World in 80 Days: Unpacking the Adventure), The Rolling Stones - A Bigger Bang: Live from Copacabana Beach, Italy Made with Love, From Sea to Shining Sea and More, and then some ENCORE specials from Suze Orman, Great Performances: Andrea Bocelli: Live in Central Park, Celtic Woman, The My Music Specials, and MORE, AND IT LAST FOR 2 WEEKS From Yesterday Through March 13th!!
And for my PBS Station KPBS in San Diego, AS USUAL, its 3-WEEK March Membership Campaign started Yesterday and it will END on Sunday March 20th, the March campaign as usual as a 3 WEEK CAMPAIGN!!!!

Think Again Everybody, PBS' March 2022 Pledge Campaign is BACK with Brand New Specials like An Evening with Lerner & Loewe: Broadway in Concert, Deepak Chopra: Your Path to Enlightment, Some Masterpiece Specials(Endeavour: The Evolution, Around the World in 80 Days: Unpacking the Adventure), The Rolling Stones - A Bigger Bang: Live from Copacabana Beach, Italy Made with Love, From Sea to Shining Sea and More, and then some ENCORE specials from Suze Orman, Great Performances: Andrea Bocelli: Live in Central Park, Celtic Woman, The My Music Specials, and MORE, AND IT LAST FOR 2 WEEKS From Yesterday Through March 13th!!
And for my PBS Station KPBS in San Diego, AS USUAL, its 3-WEEK March Membership Campaign started Yesterday and it will END on Sunday March 20th, the March campaign as usual as a 3 WEEK CAMPAIGN!!!!
Just in time for Lent, pledge time is back....

Coincidentally, I just watched a soul special pledge drive show, where most of the featured guest artists are dead. They included The Four Tops WITH Levi Stubbs, Al Wilson, Billy Paul, and Lou Rawls.

FUN FACT: Frankie Laine's final appearance was on a PBS special that was often aired during pledge breaks. Back in 2006, he performed "That's My Desire" on a PBS special after being introduced by Danny Aiello (also RIP). Another fact about Frankie Laine (sorry for veering from the stated subject of this thread a bit), is that he can be heard belting out the theme song at the beginning of the Mel Brooks movie "Blazing Saddles". One reason he's singing with such heart is because Brooks never bothered to tell him the whole movie was a comedy/parody. According to one story, Brooks put out a search for a "Frankie Laine - type" to sing the title song, and Frankie himself answered and asked why he himself shouldn't do it.

Last edited:
FUN FACT: Frankie Laine's final appearance was on a PBS special that was often aired during pledge breaks. Back in 2006, he performed "That's My Desire" on a PBS special after being introduced by Danny Aiello (also RIP). Another fact about Frankie Laine (sorry for veering from the stated subject of this thread a bit), Laine can be heard belting out the theme song at the beginning of the Mel Brooks movie "Blazing Saddles". One reason he's singing with such heart is because Brooks never bothered to tell him the whole movie was a comedy/parody. According to one story, Brooks put out a search for a "Frankie Laine - type" to sing the title song, and Laine himself answered and asked why he himself shouldn't do it.
Very cool....I remember working at a Westwood One Adult Standards affiliate and Chick Watkins was interviewing Frankie on his 80th birthday....that would have been 1998. He had just released a new album.

Back
Top Bottom