• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Paul Westby, 58, Dies From Complications of M.S.

kmanews

Inactive
Inactive User
(February 6, 2010)
Written by Ken Mills

Paul Westby, heard on Twin Cities stations WLOL-FM and KSTP-FM in the 1980s and 1990s died Saturday at his home in St. Louis Park, Minnesota. He was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in the early 2000s.

Paul was born and raised in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. He graduated from Burnsville High School in 1970 and Augustana College in 1976.

He began his radio career in the early 1970s at KISD-AM, then a popular Top 40 station in Sioux Falls. He moved on host a nightly progressive rock program called “Transition” on KELO-FM.

Paul was part of an enthusiastic group of young announcers who started KLYX-FM (“X-93”), a renegade AOR station that shook up Sioux Falls in 1979 and 1980. After X-93 was sold (and later became KKRC), Paul worked several years at KELO-AM during a high point of that station’s ratings history.

He also was in the retail music business, co-owning Rolling Thunder Records & Tapes in Sioux Falls and Vermillion, South Dakota, during the 1970s.

Paul moved to Minneapolis in the late 1980s to join the staff of WLOL-FM, owned by Emmis Broadcasting. When Emmis sold WLOL-FM in the mid 1990s, he went to work for KSTP-FM.

He was an active member of the Democratic Party and worked on campaigns for George McGovern, Tom Daschle and others. Paul was an intern for Senator James Abourezk when he studied for a semester at American University in Washington, DC in 1974.

Paul had many friends and enjoyed collecting sacred Native American pipes. He treasured his visits to the Black Hills and loved to tell stories of native visions and victories.

Paul is survived by his father and mother, Orv and Helen; his brothers David, Steve and Nathan; and, his sister Ranghild. Arrangements are pending.

I spent many an evening with Paul playing records for me. Maybe it's my mind playing tricks on me, and how things from long ago always seem better. But I think not. "Transition" was easily one of the most creative programs out there, and between the two stations you could hear it pretty much all over Eastern South Dakota. I can't tell you how many FM radios I installed in friend's cars strictly because of this broadcast. I'm saddened to hear of his passing, but I'm grateful for this post, because it triggered some very fond memories of great radio. RIP, Paul.

Dave Barnett

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom