• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Paul Revere Dies of Cancer at 76

I thought it was interesting that his middle name was Revere. His parents had a sense of humor. Unless it was a legal change he made.

Meanwhile, I'm sure he took a lot of kidding about his real last name.

Weren't the Raiders the first rock group to appear in costume on stage?

No. They weren't. Most bands in that era wore costumes, though the costumes were usually matching suits or sweater outfits. The Beatles wore leather until Brian Epstein changed their costumes to matching suits.

Comments from Mark Lindsay at his Twitter & Facebook pages:

Mark Lindsay
‏@MarkLindsay It is surreal to think Paul Revere has passed; I wish his family the best, and peace.

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialMarkLindsayPage

We all know that Paul had been very ill for a while, and you always hope for the best -- a miracle, maybe. But it just wasn't to be this time. It is still surreal to think that he is gone. I'm sure this cannot be an easy time for Sydney and all of Paul's family, and I wish them all the best, and peace.

In 1958, Revere and I got together in Idaho, and it clicked. We had a great run, and for a real long stretch, it was magic. All good things seem to come to an end, though, and eventually Revere and I drifted apart and went our separate ways. But I want to remember the good times, when he was my best friend and we were partners, and the world was ours for a while. Right now I would like to think he's playing wild boogie-woogie on that big golden upright in the sky. Play on, brother, see you down the road. ~ ML

Weren't the Raiders the first rock group to appear in costume on stage?

It was pretty trendy to do that in the mid-late 60s, but they might have been first. Gary Puckett & The Union Gap had the Civil War style; Paul Revere & The Raiders had the Revolutionary War style. Other than that you had dazzling gowns, the matching suits, etc. In other words, a time when fashion, style and/or a fashion statement gimmick on stage mattered.

Last edited:
In other words, a time when fashion, style and/or a fashion statement gimmick on stage mattered.

Or image creation...the recording industry was discovering there was a visual element to music, in doing TV shows, album covers, fan magazines, and even early music videos. A few years later, artists would resent it, like Joni Mitchell attacking the "star making machinery."

I thought it was interesting that his middle name was Revere. His parents had a sense of humor. Unless it was a legal change he made.

Meanwhile, I'm sure he took a lot of kidding about his real last name.

'Revere' was his real middle name.

No. They weren't. Most bands in that era wore costumes, though the costumes were usually matching suits or sweater outfits. The Beatles wore leather until Brian Epstein changed their costumes to matching suits.

I don't consider men's dress suits "costumes" as virtually every male singer appeared in those. The Beatles (and other Brit bands) did wear some unusual suits but they were suits nevertheless. The only bands prior to 1960 that I remember wearing what could be considered a costume were the Cuban bands but they weren't part of the Rock genre.

I don't consider men's dress suits "costumes" as virtually every male singer appeared in those. The Beatles (and other Brit bands) did wear some unusual suits but they were suits nevertheless. The only bands prior to 1960 that I remember wearing what could be considered a costume were the Cuban bands but they weren't part of the Rock genre.

Well, if you want to make up your own definitions for words, then whatever you say means whatever you wanted it to mean. To the rest of the entertainment world, "costumes" are any special clothing worn on stage or other performance venue. A special set of matching outfits is, to any performing group, "costumes". When the Beach Boys wore those matching striped shirts and chinos, that was a stage costume. The matching white pants and turtlenecks with a dark blazer outfits that the Dave Clark Five wore when performing were costumes. Just because you have invented your own unique personal definition for "costume" doesn't make it so.

Well, if you want to make up your own definitions for words, then whatever you say means whatever you wanted it to mean. To the rest of the entertainment world, "costumes" are any special clothing worn on stage or other performance venue. A special set of matching outfits is, to any performing group, "costumes". When the Beach Boys wore those matching striped shirts and chinos, that was a stage costume. The matching white pants and turtlenecks with a dark blazer outfits that the Dave Clark Five wore when performing were costumes. Just because you have invented your own unique personal definition for "costume" doesn't make it so.

It is not my definition. There are several published definitions of "costume" but they all sound essentially like this one: Costume definition, a style of dress, including accessories and hairdos, especially that peculiar to a nation, region, group, or historical period.

A costume is not considered normal street wear in its current period therefore the Beach Boys stage outfits would not be considered a costume as that same style was being worn by a significant number of teenagers at that time. I know. I was a teen then and we all wore Pendleton shirts and chinos. Likewise the Dave Clark Five. Paul Revere and the Raiders wore a costume relative to the American Revolutionary War period. The Union Gap wore Civil War military costumes. There is a significant difference in dressing alike and dressing in costume.

I'm still voting for Screamin' Jay Hawkins. I'd suggest he made Paul Revere look quaint. Here's what they say in Wikipedia:

Screamin' Jay Hawkins was an American rhythm and blues musician, singer, and actor. Famed chiefly for his powerful, operatic vocal delivery, and wildly theatrical performances of songs such as "I Put a Spell on You", he sometimes used macabre props onstage, making him an early pioneer of shock rock.

Soon after the release of "I Put a Spell on You", radio disc jockey Alan Freed offered Hawkins $300 to emerge from a coffin onstage. Hawkins accepted and soon created an outlandish stage persona in which performances began with the coffin and included "gold and leopardskin costumes and notable voodoo stage props, such as his smoking skull on a stick – named Henry – and rubber snakes." These props were suggestive of voodoo, but also presented with comic overtones that invited comparison to "a black Vincent Price.”

"Kicks" was an interesting song. I was reading how it was originally mean for The Animals, but Eric Burden turned it down. I could hear him singing it. It was in his key. Barry Mann & Cynthia Weil apparently wrote it about their friend Gerry Goffin, whose drug problem was interfering with his writing, and his marriage to Carole King. Imagine them hearing that song on the radio! My favorite part in Kicks was the modulation after the bridge. Very unusual in pop songs at the time. Terry Melcher's production was flawless. He was the pop producer of the late 60s. He picked up where Spector left off. It strikes me that their playful image, in the same time as The Monkees, who also benefited from great songwriting, kept them from being taken as seriously as they should have been.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom