• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Part 15 Broadcasting Could Be The Next Cash Cow!

XRQKFM

Inactive
Inactive User
There are so many ways to draw revenue from Part 15 broadcasting, I don't know where to begin; but I will give some examples.

Here are some methods that have generated revenue for us:

1. Leasing transmitter to local car dealership for talking car advertising on weekends.

2. Leasing transmitter to Real Estate agent for promoting housing tracts in a depressed market.

3. Providing information at the local 25-Plex movie theater; We provide start and end times to parents dropping their little ones at the movies; as well as details about the movies. After every three screens, a spot is aired and then on to the next three screens. Parents love knowing when to pick up their little Sally or Biff, as well as knowing the content of the movies.

4. Broadcasting local play by play sports for local schools; We team up with a local Pizza Restaurant, and video tape the game too. Everyone ends up at the restaurant spending money on food & Beer while watching the game.

5. Mall Parking Radio; We provide an opportunity for businesses outside the mall to advertise to a large group of folks out to spend money. over 50,000 cars pass by our transmitter everyday. Our marketing is simply: For the price of an inch in the paper! "All Day Advertising" Paper is $35 a column inch.

6.Save While You Park!Transmitter placed in parking lot has a loop of advertisers that offer nice discounts just for mentioning the ad on the radio.

Revenue goes to support our radio habit, and put some food on the table.

You have to give them a reason to tune to your station; like a free movie ticket or free meal at the local fast food for the the right answer for a trivia question etc.

The cops don't like this one! but give drivers a heads up on the check point ahead; sponsored by Bob's Bail Bonds.

The above is our way of stimulating our own in house economy; I will gladly take someones $50 to advertise just about anything legal!

You too can bring in some extra revenue by selling airtime on your transmitter. $185 for a Saturday puts a few burgers on your kids plate. Sen out three transmitters out over the weekend, and you begin to generate a nice income;not only from airtime, but production too!

Don't let your transmitter sit idle on the shelve ; let it put some jingle in your pocket! Before you know it; your kids Christmas presents will already be in the bank!

Even a CCrane part 15 FM could be turned into a moneymaker.
More ways to cash in on the meltdown coming up.

Steve
www.outlawradio.us

Those are some great ideas, Steve. I love the idea of play-by-play for school sports. While many of the public address announcers are only doing basic calls of the game (if any) this would give students the opportunity to get involved, along with the ability to give background info on the student players. I may try to pitch that to a local school to see if they embrace that.

The other ideas are good, too. Some enterprising folks could do some wonders if they happen to have a transmitter just sitting there ready for action.

More ways to cash in on the meltdown coming up.

You mean the meltdown isn't not here yet? Boy, are we in trouble!

I would love to agree with you, as I have also operated a part 15 station. But I fear that if licensed radio stations get wind of it, they will get jealous and send out their engineers to start taking field strength measurements or call in the FCC.

For these reasons, I never sold ads on my station and never will. It is not worth the risk. And if you read the FCC code, part 15 (in its strictest sense) is quite limited.

Again, in theory I don't disagree with you, I am just giving a different perspective.

For these reasons, I never sold ads on my station and never will. It is not worth the risk
Fox Sports 1650AM in Flagstaff AZ, runs advertising and is number 3 in surveys. The FCC has paid the station several visits over technical issues;complaints from the so called competition. Never once has the FCC said anything about the programming or advertising on the station.

The talking house transmitters that are certified by the FCC, are used for one thing only;advertising a home for sale, etc.

You mean the meltdown isn't not here yet? Boy, are we in trouble!
Bill, I'm afraid we are just getting started. Think "Jimmy Carter The Second Edition"!
Many folks can survive a few months without income, when the savings run out and inflation begins to kick in, we are all going to have to start surviver gardens just to eat and look for new ways to make ends meet. Here in the Tax You Again State of California, the Governor is looking for new ways to shove jobs and employable types out of the state. Unemployment is now 14 to 20% in many parts of the state; and some areas hitting 30%.

Covering school sports is a win win for everyone involved; It gives students experience covering play by play sports, the drama department learns how to write and produce advertising for local clients. Business wins because it improves their image in the community, while promoting their own business. Selling is fairly easy; who is going to turn down supporting local community events. Having the head cheerleader con her dad who owns the local car dealership into sponsoring the Friday night football game normally goes over pretty easy.
The guy who owns the broadcast equipment is able to put a little spending money in his pocket, which will more and likely go back into the local economy.

There are opportunities for us in the community radio business, we need to be able to pay the bills too. If you think outside the box, opportunities do exist. I met a guy yesterday who is about to loose everything, with foreclosure papers in hand; I knew he was getting desperate, I took his business card and created a ad on our www.avnewstalk.com website; I know when his painting business turns around and he gets his feet back on the ground, I will have a new client. We have saved several businesses and turned everyone into dedicated paying clients when they got onto their feet.

But I fear that if licensed radio stations get wind of it, they will get jealous and send out their engineers to start taking field strength measurements or call in the FCC.
Let Them! Or better yet! Do a Trade Out with them. In our market; Clear Channel programs their stations out of Burbank, California, from the COL Tehachapi; Burbank is nearly 100 miles away. The other broadcaster does not do any local selling in the rural communities; there studios are 50-85 miles from the COL, and has a bad habit of running excess power and undocumented repeaters.

I personally prefer to do business in areas without any local radio, which have grown substantially over the years. Lets not forget;
Part 15 AM broadcasting legal!

Interconnecting stations and their transmitters is getting easier and cheaper. We have diagrams on our STL page as well as ways to power your station up off the grid.

Steve
www.outlawradio.us

Outlaw. Your 10 watt transmitter pictured there and your ground plane atennae show me that you ARE NOT legal. I had a buddy busted for just running a 1/4 ground plane out of a Ramsey kit. You are not legal and do not comply with part 15. Your website proves it.

Your 10 watt transmitter pictured there and your ground plane atennae show me that you ARE NOT legal
They are in Norway! Many countries allow for higher unlicensed power than the USA; Our website is not limited to the US.
The subject was part 15 broadcasting being a cash cow, if you know how to milk the cow.

I had a buddy busted for just running a 1/4 ground plane out of a Ramsey kit.
Your buddy got busted for using a Ramsey transmitter? More and likely his programming got someones attention and that got him busted. There are thousands of Ramsey transmitters on the air connected to either their dipole or a ground plane; some have been on the air for years in the Midwest without a hassle. 9 out 10 bust are a result of the operator doing something stupid on the air, not the Ramsey transmitter as bad as they are.

You are not legal and do not comply with part 15. Your website proves it.
It proves nothing! The website is not intended to be limited to just part 15 broadcasting, since part 15 broadcasting is limited to the United States only. For the record: the ten watt transmitter pictured is sold by BEXT in the USA, and can be used in a major emergency like a Earthquake legally; the FCC made such a ruling after Katrina. The first time I saw one of these transmitters on display, was at the 1994 NAB show in Las Vegas; I guess the NAB is allowing illegal transmitters to be sold at their shows according to you.

The www.outlawradio.us site does not claim to be limited to part 15 broadcasting. It also has nothing to do with our part 15 AM commercial operations, or our part 15 FM MDU operations. This may come as a surprise to you, but here in the United States for now, we are still allowed to have multiple businesses and conduct business with people outside of the United States.

If you improve your reading skills, you will notice the ten watt operation never claims to be in the USA. Just out of the picture is 220volt outlet not used in the USA. The EDM set up is legal to use in many countries like New Zealand and others.

If your interest are limited to just part 15 websites;
try these great websites out:
www.hobbybroadcaster.net/
www.part15.us

I find no need to duplicate what is already well covered by others.
We are not just a AM & FM US only operation; we are a global operation, with stations carrying our programming all over the world.

It would be foolish for us to confine ourselves to one country.

Steve
www.radiobrandy.com
Which is a separate operation from Outlaw Radio.

XRQKFM said:
Lets not forget;
Part 15 AM broadcasting (is?) legal!

But only if it actually complies with the limits for unlicensed operation given in FCC Part 15.

The maximum field intensity produced 3 meters from a 1/2-wave dipole, ground plane, or even a short whip when driven by an EDM or any other transmitter running at 100 millwatts, or even 10 milliwatts is far beyond the legal limit permitted by the FCC for unlicensed FM systems.

The link below shows the free-space fields for several low power FM systems. The plot in red at the bottom of the chart is the maximum possible field for a system meeting FCC Part 15 FM. Its field strength is below 10 microvolts/meter for distances greater than about 70 meters (~230 feet), and would not produce a very useful signal at those ranges to most indoor FM receive systems.

The FCC maximum field for legal Part 15 FM is produced when a matched 1/2-wave dipole radiates only 11.4 nanowatts (0.000 000 0114 watts).

Even a 10 milliwatt transmitter produces more than 900,000 times this amount of power.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h85/rfry-100/6417f684.gif

//

I hope when I retire after all the day sailing, car driving trips, golfing, fishing, tennis, travels to exotic places, gardening, working around the house, being with my grandchildren, etc. that there may be time to post annecdotes about milliwatt/microwatt transmitter powers/antenna heights, FCC NUOS, etc. regarding flea powered part 15 stations.

R.Fry not to belittle you or anything but there must be other activities that could be put to use by a learned colleage such as yourself besides continually posting about field strengths/antenna heights/grounding issues, etc. It really gets old after a while and everyone seeking this info is more than welcome to look for it either in this forum or the countless others across the internet.

Hope to see you out on the bay or golf course one day. ;)

Radiopilot

radiopilot said:
... It really gets old after a while and everyone seeking this info is more than welcome to look for it either in this forum or the countless others across the internet.

Just to note that posts a lot older, and a lot more numerous than mine continue to provide advice about "Part 15" that is scientifically and/or legally incorrect, and can lead people following such advice into problems with the FCC.

I add comments to applicable threads when the advice that prompted my comments is technically and/or legally unsound.

Newcomers to these boards wouldn't particularly know how to recognize, and where to research such unsound statements. That is why I continue to re-comment about them in the newer threads. Otherwise readers of the premise of that thread are being misled in a way that can cause them FCC problems.

People are free to operate as they choose, but aren't such decisions best made with a full understanding of how these systems operate?
//

Mr. Fry,

I thank you for the information about field strength. It may prevent an unpleasant inspection from the FCC, as happened with a few of my friends running 1/4 wave antennas out of Ramsey kits! People are free to choose as they please, but at least they will be informed.

But only if it actually complies with the limits for unlicensed operation given in FCC Part 15.
If the FCC pays the station a visit and leaves, then as far as I'm concerned it complies and legal.

Part 15 AM broadcasting is legal, making money with it is too; while you sweat over field strengths and micro watts; I will be at the bank cashing the checks and stuffing the cash in the mattress and jars in the backyard.
Turns out Grandma was right! The mattress and jar are the safest place to keep your money!

Steve
www.radiooutlaw.com

XRQKFM said:
If the FCC pays the station a visit and leaves, then as far as I'm concerned it complies and (is?) legal.

That may or may not be be true, as far as you and some other posters / readers here are concerned.

Note that the FCC Enforcement Bureau has measured the operational performance of many unlicensed FM and AM setups whose operators assumed / hoped that they were compliant with Part 15.

Even though the FCC inspector left the site, some of those unlicensed operators were issued an FCC NOUO, or worse (including the assessment of fines).

Anyone doubting this might want to read through the list of recent FCC actions posted on http://www.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/ .

Quite probably, some of the "Part 15" operators cited by the FCC were misled by the public posts of some about what constitutes an unlicensed system compliant with Part 15, and the useful coverage radius and commercial benefit to be expected from it.

//

It is true that the FCC can issue a citation and fine after a visit. This has happened many times.
The point was no NOL was issued because there were no violations.
R.Fry and others are having a hard time accepting the fact you can legally broadcast for profit using part 15 AM transmitter like the Hamilton Rangemaster or Procaster. Both transmitters are certified by the FCC and legal to use when connected properly.

As far as distance is concerned: Our sponsors are only promised a 1/2 mile in any given direction per a transmitter; which if you do the math equals a mile of coverage with a decent car radio. Most of the listeners are in the stands during football games, are in near by homes and apartments.

Quite probably, some of the "Part 15" operators cited by the FCC were misled by the public posts of some about what constitutes an unlicensed system compliant with Part 15, and the useful coverage radius and commercial benefit to be expected from it.
I highly doubt it! You have yet to show a single commercial operation like Surfside 1640 or Fox Sports 1650 that has been fined for running a commercial operation on a Part 15 AM station. Both stations have been in operation for years and each known to the F.C.C.

Steve
www.radiooutlaw.com

XRQKFM,

Why do you keep justifying your illegal ways? You are violated FCC rules and you should be taking off the air. No part 15 or low power station cannot sell commercial ads. I'm involved with WCRS LPFM in Columbus Ohio and we are monitor by the FCC that we're in compliance with underwriting.

Please your setup is illegal. Part 15 broadcasters should be limited to information rebroadcast of NOAA weather, traffic, airport, community info.

What no commercial station would higher you?

Willcail:

Part 15 AMs are allowed to sell advertising. As are carrier-current AM stations.

This is not true for LPFM, which is noncommercial and funded through underwriting.

I've done Part 15 radio for many years with no problems whatsoever. Heck, Clear Channel
once BOUGHT airtime from me.

In my sig is the stream of my station. There are only a few ads, but they are real.

willcail said:
XRQKFM,

Why do you keep justifying your illegal ways? You are violated FCC rules and you should be taking off the air. No part 15 or low power station cannot sell commercial ads. I'm involved with WCRS LPFM in Columbus Ohio and we are monitor by the FCC that we're in compliance with underwriting.

Please your setup is illegal. Part 15 broadcasters should be limited to information rebroadcast of NOAA weather, traffic, airport, community info.

I cannot begin to tell you how much I disagree with your entire comment....
Radio Brandy XRQKFM is one of the Best People I have ever met [ while not in person]. I can tell you I am Featured on his site and His Site is NOT Completely Devoted to Part 15 Broadcasting. In fact He is mainly just about Broadcasting. Stop Trying To Bash On A Good Person. It makes you look bad.

And Then you go and Make that Statement about Part 15.. Do you know what a TIS is? Thats Exactly what you want Part 15 to be.
I Run a Part 15 I Gladly and happily play Syndicated Programming, Rock Music, and Oldies. Does that make me Illegal? Am I a Big Pirate now? Oh also guess what... I RUN ADS! and Im NOT the only Part 15 That Does.

LibertyNT said:
willcail said:
XRQKFM,

I cannot begin to tell you how much I disagree with your entire comment....
Radio Brandy XRQKFM is one of the Best People I have ever met [ while not in person]. I can tell you I am Featured on his site and His Site is NOT Completely Devoted to Part 15 Broadcasting. In fact He is mainly just about Broadcasting. Stop Trying To Bash On A Good Person. It makes you look bad.

And Then you go and Make that Statement about Part 15.. Do you know what a TIS is? Thats Exactly what you want Part 15 to be.
I Run a Part 15 I Gladly and happily play Syndicated Programming, Rock Music, and Oldies. Does that make me Illegal? Am I a Big Pirate now? Oh also guess what... I RUN ADS! and Im NOT the only Part 15 That Does.

Well said Liberty!

willcail said:
XRQKFM,

Yet more misinformation being spread about what you can or cannot do on a Part 15 AM station.

You most definitely CAN run a commercial Part 15 AM station or a non commercial or hobby type station. There are no rules that prohibit profit making from these transmitters. In fact, many Real Estate agencies and even some car dealers use them to advertise their respective products or homes etc.

Given the insignificant coverage of a legally-operating Part 15 station, I think any legal operator selling advertising for more than the value of a share of Citadel stock would be guilty of misrepresentation.

Part 15 transmitters have been sold for years for use at homes for sale, etc. But if you can hear the signal a mile away, I would suggest it is not in compliance with Part 15.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom