• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Oxygen OTA channel

NBC are launching Oxygen which is a pay pay TV channel in various markets like Dallas, San Francisco, Los Angeles and Houston as an OTA subchannel. Is this the first proper pay TV channel that is also going OTA? Wonder is this a sign that NBC may drop it as a pay TV channel altogether?

Oxygen OTA just live went here in Los Angeles within the last day or so, over KNBC Channel 4.4; they're using the West Coast feed, and I'm assuming the OTA slots in the Bay Area, Monterey/Salinas, and San Diego are also airing that same feed as well.

As far as cable channels transitioning (or in this case with Oxygen, simulcasting) to over-the-air TV, I can't recall that ever happening before, at least in recent memory. However, you do have broadcast networks such as Telemundo, Univision, Ion, Court TV, MeTV, Dabl, and several others that are carried nationally on cable/satellite without the attachment of a local affiliate station.

NBC are launching Oxygen which is a pay pay TV channel in various markets like Dallas, San Francisco, Los Angeles and Houston as an OTA subchannel. Is this the first proper pay TV channel that is also going OTA? Wonder is this a sign that NBC may drop it as a pay TV channel altogether?
That is interesting that NBC is going in this direction. The first thing I was thinking was that most likely Oxygen was going to be a label within the Peacock app. NBC has been putting more attention to Peacock. Ever since NBC Sports Net (The National Edition) was shut down all we heard was that NBC was moving Sports Content to NBC Sports Bay Area, NBC Sports California, Peacock and USA. I never thought they would go for OTA subchannels though.

As far as cable channels transitioning (or in this case with Oxygen, simulcasting) to over-the-air TV, I can't recall that ever happening before, at least in recent memory. However, you do have broadcast networks such as Telemundo, Univision, Ion, Court TV, MeTV, Dabl, and several others that are carried nationally on cable/satellite without the attachment of a local affiliate station.
QVC did this almost 10 years ago when they launched QVC Over the Air.

What about the relaunched G4 network? This new incarnation is only available on some Comcast systems and some of their popular shows like X-Play and Attack of the Show can be seen over on social media platforms like YouTube, Twitch, etc. free without subscription. In addition, on Pluto TV there is a new channel called G4 Select which mostly consists of reruns from past episodes from said shows. I think it would be wise to consider adding G4 to the OTA subchannel than risk going to cable or satellite because cable subscriptions are dropping fast due to rising costs.

Oxygen is free on OTA, but who knows? it could also be a precursor to pay channels on ATSC 3.0.
Also depends too given that more recent TV's are directed to Wifi signals in the home. Some TV's may or may not give you access to ATSC 3.0 I don't know for now and it depends on the model you have.

Also Comcast was in the process of releasing their branded TV's just not sure if it has access to ATSC 3.0.

About a week ago Antenna Man had a video about encryption being added to ATSC 3.0, which is supposedly to prevent piracy, but it could possibly be used to set up pay channels:

Huh that sounds like StarTV and ONTV of the 1980's. KBSC now known as KVEA Telemundo Los Angeles used to encrypt their signals for ONTV. StarTV was a similar service but for Northern California.

There was a Selectv where the OTA signals were encrypted unless you call the station number to get access to the signal or special equipment in some cases. But I didn't think encrypted OTA TV would return since they last went out of Business in 1985-1986 timeframe due to the rise of Cable and Satellite TV at the time.

Last edited:

But at the same time NBC has been trying to get more of their content on Peacock. In this case Bravo's content is heading to Peacock.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom