• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Overnight TV 1-5am

Since most of the viewers are asleep between 12:35-2 am why there is overnight news on CBS and ABC? I think it would be better off to just sign off and show weather radars like WPRI 12 does on early Saturdays and Sundays 2am - 5am.

Since most of the viewers are asleep between 12:35-2 am why there is overnight news on CBS and ABC? I think it would be better off to just sign off and show weather radars like WPRI 12 does on early Saturdays and Sundays 2am - 5am.
Because a lot of people work odd hours, are insomniacs, up very early (that's why there's a 4:30am news), work 2nd shift and stay up late. even an infomercial buck to be made. Seems most stations I'm familiar with don't even carry the overnight news except for a few minutes to catch the time up to the top or bottom of the hour.

I know of some that carry a few "Paid Preachers", late night/early morning. I've stayed up and saw them on a few of our local channels.

Dan <><​

News is super cheap to produce, no?

I always gravitated toward ABC World News Now. That one-button-unbuttoned, slightly askew, slightly goofy and sleep deprived overnight news show. It's actually had quite the cult following over the years. I imagine the program is a good way to make some cash in a dead zone.

Lots to choose from in the overnight hours even of you don't have Cable in LA from 1-5am: News, Sitcoms, Fox Animation Reruns, Talk Shows, 1970's Quinn Martin shows, Preaching fundraisers, and what few produced infomercials left.

If you noticed over the last couple of years, the ABC O&Os don't carry World News Now anymore, or if they do, it's probably thirty minutes to a hour at most; if you want to watch World News Now in an ABC O&O city, you have to watch it on ABC News Live, starting at 2am ET. Instead now, the post-Nightline slots are occupied by replays of the 11pm (10pm CT) news, and reruns of Kelly & Ryan and Tamron Hall.

Almost the same thing with CBS and its overnight news programming; the CBS O&Os at least over the last ten years or so would always air a truncated version of Up To The Minute/Overnight News around 3:35am local time, while most of the other affiliates would start airing the overnight news starting around 2 or 2:30 local time, depending on the market.

The only 3 TV stations air paid programming WOTV 1:30AM, WWMT 1:30AM, WXSP 2AM ever since Cops went off in syndication in fall of 2020 what they couldn't get another Byron Allen show?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom