• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Overnight chit-chat talk show

In the later 1960s, but more likely the 1970s, there was an overnight syndicated talk show which was hosted by a gentleman. The talk was simple, unimportant chit-chat, the kind two friends might be saying to eachother over the telephone when nothing much was going on. I recall it being incredibly boring in its banality, and my mother, who used to listen occasionally, tired of it quickly. Does anyone remember who the host was and who the syndicator was?
In the Cleveland, Ohio market it was aired on WERE AM1300.

In the later 1960s, but more likely the 1970s, there was an overnight syndicated talk show which was hosted by a gentleman. The talk was simple, unimportant chit-chat, the kind two friends might be saying to eachother over the telephone when nothing much was going on. I recall it being incredibly boring in its banality, and my mother, who used to listen occasionally, tired of it quickly. Does anyone remember who the host was and who the syndicator was?
In the Cleveland, Ohio market it was aired on WERE AM1300.

Herb Jepko? I believe that was the first show of its kind. It was distributed by Mutual.

Has to be Jepko. It was a very light non confrontational show. His listeners and callers were called "nightcaps". I think the show originated out of KSL in Utah. About as different from todays talk radio as can be. Actually, I'd prefer a Jepko type show over the constant conspiracy theories on "Coast to Coast".

Has to be Jepko. It was a very light non confrontational show. His listeners and callers were called "nightcaps". I think the show originated out of KSL in Utah. About as different from todays talk radio as can be. Actually, I'd prefer a Jepko type show over the constant conspiracy theories on "Coast to Coast".

When Jepko left syndication (not of his own volition, IIRC), a fellow named Larry King began a very similar show and had a bit of success with it. Wonder what ever happened to him...

I remember hearing the show late at night when I was in school at Syracuse, can't recall what station it was on. I don't think it was a local.

A LOT of people would....however, most talk stations want controversy because they think it brings listeners in (such as Howard Stern did on WNBC).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom