• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Over Six Months Ago, This Weekend:

The true problem with Edits was that, most of the time, the artists are not involved. They were paid for the LP, and the labels had "Edit Monkeys" on the payroll. Y'all will have to forgive JethroM for his lack of experience. Any Programmer that ever heard the "Night Moves" 7"-inch edit was scarred for life, not to mention, just how quick they were to replace it with the 5:00 LP version, with its cold ending. There are other edits that really ain't too noticeable, but that one was just plain Awwwwwwww-ful. The edit for "Some Like It Hot" was able to get the CHR job done,...but later, we gave it a second life, when we replaced it with the LP, as it contained Andy Taylor's Dead-on Guitar solo,....unknown to to our listeners, due to the edit, until we pushed the envelope.

The true problem with Edits was that, most of the time, the artists are not involved. They were paid for the LP, and the labels had "Edit Monkeys" on the payroll.

Not any more. The artist now controls the music. Their producer is the "edit monkey." The producer works for them. Quite often artists are co-producers.

A lot of the Classic Rock formats of the latter 80's were just AOR formats, refined down to 3300 or so songs, and it worked extremely well. The problem that exists today, and thus the failure that they are now suffering is a series of various Consultants. Over the years, these Pencilnecks were hired to make thing run smooth, but foolishly deleted songs that they either didn't know or didn't like. I lived it,...and watched it happen. Today, you are down to 409 in regular rotation, and the PD's can't add to it...because they don't have the smarts to what to add. The mowed someone's lawn once, and the next day they were handing out business cards that said "Landscaper". You could take three similar songs by Foreigner or Heart, and just add a matching LP cut, and they couldn't pick out the odd because they don't know enough about the even!

A lot of the Classic Rock formats of the latter 80's were just AOR formats, refined down to 3300 or so songs, and it worked extremely well.

The first mention I see of "classic rock" under the broader AOR banner is in an August 18, 1986 issue of R&R where there is a brief discussion of how most programmers were skeptical of the staying power of the format without any current music. The term "classic" rock had been used before that to indicate the gold portion of an AOR station's library and references in R&R for this usage are quite common.

Further searching would seem to indicate that the format did not get much traction until several years later, when ratings on the first few proved to be sustainable.

Libraries were not three thousand cuts... they were comparable to Superstars AORs and generally in the high hundreds to just over 1000 cuts.

Libraries were not three thousand cuts... they were comparable to Superstars AORs and generally in the high hundreds to just over 1000 cuts.

That's what Richard Neer said about WNEW-FM when he was PD. His station was typical of the Metromedia stations. But the real focus wasn't the number of songs, but the artists. They made sure to cycle the "superstars" at least once a shift. And he made sure the currents were specific focus cuts, and not whatever the DJ felt like playing.

For the readers at home,...and the tiresome posters that are researching my topic to death:

There is a difference between....reading what was wrote,....and actually working,...what was really there.

When I said 3200 or so songs,....I wasn't typing the truth because I didn't have anything else to do.

For the readers at home,...and the tiresome posters that are researching my topic to death:

There is a difference between....reading what was wrote,....and actually working,...what was really there.

When I said 3200 or so songs,....I wasn't typing the truth because I didn't have anything else to do.

Like you said, you were working it, and I heard the results. Mumbling DJS sometimes gnawing on a sandwich while on mike, playing Foghat and Mott the Hoople, and acting like they're just too cool to live. It was tried here, and it tanked, even then. There's still a local online column by old ditchweed smokers swapping conspiracy theories on how "their station" was sabotaged by "The Man." Like I said, the seventies are (as you would probably put it) ohhhh-ver.

The first mention I see of "classic rock" under the broader AOR banner is in an August 18, 1986 issue of R&R where there is a brief discussion of how most programmers were skeptical of the staying power of the format without any current music. The term "classic" rock had been used before that to indicate the gold portion of an AOR station's library and references in R&R for this usage are quite common.

Further searching would seem to indicate that the format did not get much traction until several years later, when ratings on the first few proved to be sustainable.

At the end of 1985 WKRR Greensboro NC made its debut. One Top 40 station in the market, after the rock stations had gone Top 40, had a popular "classic rock" show and WKRR played classic rock. That has been its format ever since, though songs from the 90s and later have only been added in recent years and there aren't many of those.

In recent posts, these discussions have been good, and informative. I love stories from stations that I didn't work at...markets too. However, we also still have to hear from Boobs that say that the 70's, and/or the 80's are dead. Hmmmmmm! I think of the various 70's & 80's stations on Sat Radio, and they will to pay for it.
Also,...those that set their Pandora to gather such. It reminds me of denied intern applicants.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom