• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

OT satellite radio and the analyst

tankedsecondchance

Inactive
Inactive User
feel free to post this where you wish, or to email it to a friend, or another investor you know that may have been effected by this....

This is directly related to both stocks Sirius/xmsr, along with some much broader issue's relating to the security industries, along with full, fair, honest, complete, fast up to-date disclosure, on current positions held by the analyst and their related firms along with the inter related business deals and the use of the media by analyst and their firms.

This point of contact [email protected] can forward additional information, to superiors along with the other relevant offices involved. For the Sirius/Xmsr holders that were or are invested in the broader broadcasting industry, that feel they have a legitimate concern, or complaint based primarily on the comments made, issued or released by either (bank of America or Mr. Jacoby) via all forms of media, over the last couple of years. Then spread by the media firms which may also be controlled by wall street in certain cases.

I can state honestly, that three groups (agencies) tasked with oversight of the industry, have open case files currently surrounding this specific subject, it has also been opened at even higher levels of authority ...

Do your homework well include the comments made, be specific include a link to the information or copy and paste it into your email.

State your concern's,or perception of the problems clearly based on the supported facts,Which you need to include. (Note other points of contact will added later)

I also feel obligated to mention,that I have never held xmsr share's ,I do own sirius long term and have traded a few shares over the same time frame which began early in two thousand and four.

Have you held Xmsr from 40 bucks to 30,25,18,12 with Jacoby saying its a buy here and now. while they were selling it which can be viewed easily via the nasdaq site, and buying Sirius we all know where one goes the other one tends to track or stall then slowly drop off.

It's important at this point to mention the track record and pattern of the reported repeated violations of multiple Federal Securities Law by BOA Securities, along with the resulting fines totaling nearly one billion dollars over the past two years. Has resulted in this question being posed to numerous senior regulatory officials, based on the current circumstances as they relate directly. "when at what point do you bring in the US Attorney Generals Office to pursue criminal investigations." Of these matters, the civil fines and penalties of the past and future,ultimately,only hurt the shareholders along with the broader markets in general.

Maybe its time to add, enforceable, mandatory long term prison time, at the state level.For those found guilty of manipulation along with the Ceo's of said firm's, for altering the context of reported material fact, on false and or misleading statements made to influence the markets via any form of media, they should be forced to serve very real hard time outside of the federal prison system.

Have your ever wondered why they openly downplayed the very real downside risk related to a informal and or formal sec investigation surrounding the Xmsr shareholder lawsuit and or the effect it may have on both stocks or the broader broadcasting industry collectively.

I will say many things are going on currently, that all investors should support, and that this specific issue is being used to push for all shareholders rights across the board, which include the full disclosure of information as mentioned above.

interesting what took place with the post.....last week

when howard stern went on record over the air, with his claim big business is doing things to damage and degrade satellite radio he told the truth....im all for most things being fair game when it comes to business..........

but when the media and wallstreet team up to move markets and investors are hurt in certain sectors its just wrong, and some heads need to roll with some serving hard time...

what im posting here are facts from one of the many people working this very broad issue feel free to contact the sec below........

Just read the post - has this been confirmed? I heard somebody had a brief conversation with Mr. Mainelli this evening - I guess this explains the mood he was in! I actually kinda feel bad for the guy.

e-mail: [email protected] just in case anyone's interested. He was a perfectly cordial gentleman and was happy answering the questions posed, one of which was "Are you owned by Clear Channel Communications?" He said "Yes" that they were but that no one from Clear Channel had asked him or instructed him to do anything. He says that these rumors came from multiple sources and mentioned the main party was Sean Hannity Mr. Mainelli has taken the fall for Mr. Thomas Taylor. imho And let's just say I think that Mr. Thomas should receive lots of fan mail in addition to phone calls. Again, a very cordial gentleman, but this irresponsible reporting evaporated over a 1/4billion$ in wealth from individual investors and there should be consequences. Gee, let's see here.......let's add up the pieces of the puzzle.........a reporter that was a program director now turned consultant to the radio industry........and an industry publication that's owned by Clear Channel Communications.......is it just me ...... or does something stink here? All of this has been provided to the SEC and, in a telephone conversation with one of their investigators, his "off the record" opinion was that this appears to be a blatant case of market manipulation.

The difficulty is determining who financially benefited from it. I think that everyone on the board should contact the SEC and bring this issue and complaint forward. The more people that call, the better. Also, Steve Langford at Howard 100 News is largely responsible for Mr. Mainelli's demise as he really held his feet to the fire during an interview aired on Howard's show today. Mr. Langford was contacted and gave some additional background information as to the other issues we are all aware of. (jacoby) He's working hard behind the scenes to connect the dots.

Howard Stern's words may not carry the same weight now that he's on satellite radio, but he's still got enough juice to get a pesky critic fired. John Mainelli, the New York Post writer who irked Stern by reporting a rumor that he would return to terrestrial radio with his tail between his legs on Tuesday, has left the paper after receiving an ultimatum from editor in chief Col Allan.

Allan told Mainelli Wednesday that he had to choose between his freelance job covering the radio industry for the Post and his lucrative sideline consulting for radio stations and owners.

"I consider myself fired," Mainelli tells Radar. "I can't live on what I earn from the Post."

Mainelli claims he has made no secret of his consulting relationships and has always been careful to recuse himself from stories that might present a conflict of interest. But Allan, according to a Post spokesman, was not aware of the arrangement, and would have put a stop to it long ago had he known. Stern has been waging war on Mainelli since Tuesday, when Mainelli reported on speculation that Stern might cut a deal to get part of his broadcast back on terrestrial radio. (Since Stern left CBS in January, his show has only been available to Sirius subscribers.)

Though Mainelli was merely picking up a report from Inside Radio, an industry trade, Stern chose to blast him rather than the source—probably because Mainelli spiced up his story with other damaging details, such as a rumor that Stern was having trouble booking high-profile guests and had lost popularity as an Internet search term. Stern's Howard 100 news team called attention to Mainelli's consulting ties on air, and their reporting was picked up by journalism blog Buzzmachine.com.

Asked whether he's feuded with Stern in the past, Mainelli says, "He's feuded with me," over the number of subscribers Stern has brought to Sirius, among other issues. Nevertheless, Mainelli claims he's been a fan of Stern's—until now.

"I'm very disappointed, and I'm really pissed at Howard Stern," he says. "From now on, anything I write about him will have to have a disclaimer: John Mainelli has an ax to grind against this man."

The New York State Attorney Generals Office still shows this Complaint as open and ongoing, The rumored case number could be - Ref# 06-00806

I urge all to contact them directly on the issue of (Bank of AmericaSecurities llc/Jacoby) by telephone or email, and request (ask),that they pursue this issue to the very ends of the current laws.....the referenced subject matter highlighted above is very important to include

I would also like to thank Forbes openly and directly for their honest efforts, we should commend them for limiting the comments of Mr. Jacoby and his firm. Then ask them to look into the current and historical events surrounding this subject matter. The Senior Editor is a Mr. Dan Bigman. I would suggest they use, Liz Moyer, based entirely on her last article Naked Justice

This link takes you directly to the NASD NASD Complaint center I surely hope they take more aggressive action then they did in the last major case they dealt with, but suspect they wont, ever...period, self regulation of this industry is plain stupid..

The same crooks specify the punishment in the end with a very token slap on the wrist for the violations, based on that simple concept

I would recommend you build a email contact list that includes contacts for the DOJ , US Attorney general, your state attorney general , Senate Banking Committee, SEC, NYSE ,NASD then send your information and or questions.you may want to include your own attorney at the same time for good measure.....

The DOJ needs to step into the fray along with the senate banking committee forcing the sec to step up and accept the full responsibility they have currently to the public, not the corporations they deal with... they wont, until they hear from from enough people, repeatedly via the telephone, internet along with email.

you can contact the senate banking committees here , let them know of your support, for this issue, after you review the supplied information and the net effect on investors naked shorts,only a few days remain to be added to the list linked here

the links above are dead the one below should work

the media and wallstreet are working the broadcasting industry bigtime ,I have pulled all of my money from the broadcasting sector........

I very much like broadcasting/radio in all its forms, but its time for some house cleaning within the groups that really control the media ,and are stealing control of this once great industry while the current owners are being robbed by the very investment partners that claim they are helping save a industry.....open your eyes folks

http://groups.msn.com/SIRIUSALTERNATIVE/general.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=18668&LastModified=4675590747059982892

heres another interesting note

this from the fine folks at vnu media owned by blackstone and partners which also control billboard and radio and records

what frear said was a direct response to a question asked he was not speaking about sirius intent to purchase xmsr, as there is no intent to merge the companys...on the part of sirius

guess this gets sent to the sec after i get a real email address for these clowns you folks need to complain to the sec

Spring Returning To XM's Step
Sep. 15, 2006
By Paul Bond, The Hollywood Reporter

SOURCE: TheHollywoodReporter.com

Shares of XM Satellite Radio were boosted 9.4% on Thursday (Sept. 14) on the back of positive analyst comments that focused on a host of developments, including the impending launch of Oprah Winfrey's channel and renewed talk of a merger with Sirius Satellite Radio.

While laws would need to be tinkered with and anti-competition regulators would need some convincing, Wall Street has kept up speculation that XM is a takeover candidate, not only by Sirius but also by Clear Channel Communications Inc.

Credit Suisse upgraded shares of XM from "neutral" to "outperform" Thursday, and the stock rallied $1.18 to $13.69, though beleaguered shares are still off 50% this year.

Credit Suisse analyst Bryan Kraft said the shares could have as little as 30% downside risk, but could rise as much as 200%, though he put a $17 price target on the stock.

The analyst said falling gas prices will help spur sales, and added that the company settling its radio-interference issues with the FCC and lowering subscription guidance to where an upside surprise is possible are positive near-term catalysts.

The company also is riding high on some positive news of late. It said that XM radios will be standard equipment in 2007 Acuras, and Maya Angelou will host a show on Winfrey's new channel.

The company, which loses NASCAR streaming rights to rival Sirius Satellite Radio next year, also said this week that it has signed a multiyear associate sponsorship deal with IndyCar sensation Danica Patrick.

Kraft also reined in his subscriber numbers on Sirius while still remaining bullish on the company. The analyst now sees net additions in the third quarter at 450,000, down from 536,000 because of production cuts at Ford and Chrysler, the two primary auto partners of Sirius.

Sirius shares closed flat Thursday at $4.03 and are down 39.9% on the year.

Both companies presented at the Merrill Lynch Media & Entertainment Conference in Pasadena this week, where XM boasted that it has added 3,602 subscribers every day since launch, better numbers than can be claimed by cable TV, the Internet, cell phones and MP3 players.

Sirius chief financial officer David Frear again addressed his company's stated desire for a possible merger with XM, saying that there are obvious economic benefits though regulatory, as well as pricing hurdles, might be too high to clear.

XM CEO Hugh Panero and other executives routinely downplay such merger speculation.

Analyst Kraft, however, issued a 15-page report Thursday that touted the benefits of a Sirius-XM combination, and another report of the lesser benefits of a Clear Channel-XM merger.

He said that, while the ego of XM executives might get in the way, an XM-Sirius merger would have better than a 50% chance of government approval.

XM, which will have about 8 million subscribers by year's end compared with about 6.3 million at Sirius, sports a lower market capitalization than does its smaller competitor: $3.7 billion to $5.7 billion.

Contact Info:
Carl Merkle
323-965-3314
[email protected]

NASD Point of contact/case number
Mr Jacob Ades, the Direct line 212-858-4257
The case # for N.A.S.D. is 2006 -005-6796

New York Attorney General Complaint form below www.oag.state.ny.us/complaints/
New York State Office of the Attorney General
Eliot Spitzer
Bureau of Investor Protection and Securities
120 Broadway
New York, New York 10271
(212) 416-8200 (phone)
(212) 416-8816 (fax)
Case Number Ref# 06-000806.(Bank of AmericaSecurities llc/Jacoby)

I asked radio ink to correct the wrong information reported for satellite radio.....some people are watching

peter has some good points and i hope radio follows through people need to start telling the truth many small investors are being hurt by all the crap thats being reported as fact

Greater Media’s Smyth Discusses “Radio’s New Mission"

In his monthly column, “The Corner Office,” Greater Media President Peter Smyth discusses “Radio’s New Mission.” Smyth writes about the need for those of us who work in radio to “step back and recognize the true value of our medium.” Smyth continues, “It has always amazed me that we allow ourselves to be devalued, every day. How? By not being able to intelligently and forcefully respond to the assertions and accusations of the marketplace. Who was responsible for allowing people to believe that satellite radio was taking over?

“Radio has 260 million listeners nationwide each week; satellite is stuck at 11 million. Simple; clear; declarative.

“We are the only ones who are going to drive home the facts:

*Radio continues to be the prime outlet where people hear about new music.

*Radio will always be the medium of choice in an emergency situation.

*Listeners' relationships with their hometown stations are uniquely personal and credible.

*The radio industry is cooperating as never before to bring HD multicasting to a reality in a digital age.

*Radio stations web streams are gaining listenership well beyond the rest of the Internet streams.

*Radio station websites and streams are presenting advertisers with an integrated marketing solution on the local level, where their customers are.

*And the vast majority of listeners expect their radio consumption to remain steady or increase, even with the explosion of new media, in the next 5 years.”

For the entire column, go to www.greatermedia.com and click on “The Corner Office.”

Comment on this story

E-mail this story to a friend

vnu media (blackstone) area (broadcasting) they control many media (news services) which can cause direct effects to the market based on the specific news they report, which could cause a direct response from many retail investors..... that may move the markets in a favorable direction..... for those looking to puchase companys at a better price...

is the picture getting clear yet.....

step up people demand real action from the legal system

Oct. 10, 2006, 10:41PM
Buyout inquiry starts
At question is whether private equity firms join together to limit deal competition

Reuters News Service

NEW YORK - The Department of Justice has begun an inquiry into whether there has been anti-competitive conduct among some private equity firms, a source familiar with the probe said Tuesday.

Justice Department officials have sent letters to some of the largest private equity firms, asking them to voluntarily turn over information and documents related to deals and auctions, the source said.

The inquiry is preliminary and may not lead to any further action, the source said.

However, among the issues that could come under scrutiny is the practice of several private equity firms joining together on some bids.

Firms could have a legitimate business rationale for joining forces on some deals, such as improving their bids and minimizing risk, one antitrust lawyer said.

Joint bidding
The department is likely to focus on whether firms join together on offers to quash competitive bidding that could drive asset prices higher.

"There's nothing in what they asked for that points to any particular transaction," the source said.

However, "I think they're going to take a real look at it in terms of getting to the bottom of what's in these bids."
A spokeswoman for the Justice Department declined comment.

Among the firms that have received the letters are Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. and Silver Lake Partners, the Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday, citing people familiar with the matter.

KKR and Silver Lake officials were not immediately available for comment.

How it works
Private equity firms buy companies and typically cut costs, restructure the businesses and sell them three to five years later.
Most firms keep about 20 percent of the profit from the exits and give the rest to their institutional investors — pension funds, college endowments and wealthy individuals.

Private equity firms are on target to raise more than $300 billion from investors this year, with top-tier firms making huge profits and sparking the heaviest buyout activity in more than five years.

The $12.3 billion buyout of Spanish-language broadcaster Univision and the $17.6 billion bid for technology company Freescale Semiconductor were among the high-profile deals this year that attracted teams of private equity bidders, or clubs in Wall Street terms.

Since 2005, SunGard Data Systems and VNU went private through club deals that involved seven and six firms, respectively.

The biggest auctions almost always involve the same large private equity firms, as their $10-billion-plus funds are the only ones able to afford such assets.

Boy this really does look ugly..........but what would i know about anything ;)

Did i mention that I recently just purchased a new Bulldozer... I hope i soon find some good use for it...........

heres just one deal with blackstone please note, they own all forms of media and broadcasting along with news services..........on a global basis...
http://www.blackstone.com/news/press_releases\05-18-04.pdf#search="blackstone broadcasting holdings"

lets me make it very clear with this recent purchase of radio stations........!!!!!

Cumulus Media, Inc. the second largest radio operator in the United States based on station count will purchase Susquehanna Radio for approximately $1.2 billion
Cumulus Media Partners, LLC, is being formed as a private partnership to include Cumulus Media, Bain Capital, The Blackstone Group and Thomas H. Lee Partners. Cumulus Media Partners will acquire the radio broadcasting business of Susquehanna Pfaltzgraff Co. Cumulus Media, Inc., will provide management services to the partnership.

heres some recent history
http://today.reuters.com/stocks/KeyDevelopments.aspx?symbol=CMLS.O

lets not lose site of the jacoby issue combine your information questions and complaints into a single document support your question's and or complaints with links such as supplied aboved.....

with the press of a single button, from any vantage point within the world, hosted on their distribution platform, they can inject selected news information or articles into the media/publishing sector of the primary news services......

heres a article in the form of a question, from www.audiographics.com/agd/071306-1.htm one very honest, long term industry insider, whom questioned the real effect of the vnu media issue in july.I suspect many others also expected a wave of much more positive press. not if your a net buyer or can clearly profit on the short side do to the press you control.......

heres a direct quote form the article.

"Consolidation has left the public with hearing only the information that the group owners want disseminated."

the good news is, it now looks as if ,enough information has reached the government to force some open action............we have the ball rolling please help push

now is the time to flood mr merkels email inbox ..........they have people reviewing piles of submited information currently. please demand action on the directly related issue of naked shorting ...... add your name to this petition online at the link below
http://www.petitiononline.com/mrktrfrm/petition.html

please step up to the plate and help protect yourself

yes other people are now grasping the true nature of things.......

thanks jerry.......http://www.insidemusicmedia.blogspot.com/

more truth from one of the very few thats willing to speak openly on broadcasting

One can't help but think of George Bush's premature "Mission Accomplished" photo op before the Iraq war was over when one thinks of Clear Channel. Clear Channel yesterday announced intentions to evaluate "strategic alternatives to enhance shareholder value" just before it retained Goldman Sachs as a financial advisor. Translated for the common folk: Clear Channel may be considering a private buyout that would put the Mays family back in total control. In fact Clear Channel never accomplished its mission. It can't seem to get the stock price above $30 a share even with the industry's largest platform of radio stations. A lot of investment bankers got rich on the upside. The Mays' made some money and many good employees were let go or driven off by the experiment in consolidation that has failed. What's worse is that radio is no longer a growth business. And that all public radio companies looking to go forward may fall prey to hedge fund money. But that's another scary story for another time. "Less is More" hasn't worked. Only low share prices not more benefit to listeners or advertisers. When the biggest consolidator can't run its radio stations and make it a growth business you can see why going private has to be considered. Randy Michaels built Clear Channel. It wouldn't own the strong properties it does if Michaels hadn't been shrewd enough to understand and implement the acquisition of the right faciltiies. And when Clear Channel and Michaels had a falling out about four years ago, Michaels was apparently sent to the Internet office in some capacity. Little was heard from him. In fact, Clear Channel should have turned Michaels loose on Internet issues and it would no doubt dominate there today. With the NAB asking the FCC to loosen ownership rules again, what will it take for dominant companies to learn their lessons. Radio is local. Virtual jocks are virtually useless. Economies of scale impress investors (maybe) for three months, but investments in programming, research and people deliver the best dividends. Less is never more to advertisers. More for less, maybe, but more for more is how a leader grows a business. Now with the next generation tuned out and technology passing radio by would be a good time for other responsible companies who want to save radio -- at least for a while -- to go to school on Clear Channel. Their missions are only beginning.

[EDIT] siriuis is killing xmsr at retail and shortly will do the same at the oem level

XM Misses Subscriber Guidance
Forbes, NY - 15 minutes ago
Banc of America has a "neutral" rating on Sirius and a price target of $3.50. The research firm has a "buy" rating on XM and a target price of $17.

[EDIT-inflammatory]

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom