• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

On air texting program I spotted at B96

S

swlajock

A couple of months ago I had a chance to tour B96 and noticed the on-air jock had a listener texting program. I didn't catch the name of it but was wondering if anyone in the market knows for about the program. For example, can a listener shoot the on-air talent a text message and get a response from the on-air talent?

Thanks for any help!

The program is called Vibes. Basically, it's set so that a Listener can text the stations short code and will get an auto-response from the station. The jocks also have the ability to personally respond to texts as well, but I don't think thats become very big as of yet. Also, Vibes allows the station to create "keywords." In B96's case, they may create keyword "Roxanne" and when a listener texts that word to their shortcode, they can get a list of all of Roxanne's Appearances for the next week (just for example). They can also sell Keywords to an advertiser and have a spot say "Text STARBUCKS to shortcode 29696 for more information." Polls, Voting, and Contesting can also be done with it. Vibes is a pretty cool program that most CBS-Owned stations are using. If memory serves me correctly, B96 has some record-setting text-responses for the Vibes program nationally. I looked into the software, and thats the data I think I remember seeing.

I definitely think texting is where radio is going, and not just for the "younger" formats.

The part I'm haven't entirely figured out yet is how to make texting sound great on the radio. Being able to text a song request is slick, but it doesn't sound as compelling as a P1 on the air interacting with your afternoon jocks.

I think if done properly, its a great way to spin the "don't get a busy signal" or "Stay Connected around the clock."

I also think it has combated Chicago's "no cell phone use when driving" as best as it could. New problem: people are texting and not looking in front of them.... oh well, can't win em all...

also, i think it could potentially be a way to keep two jocks talking on the air without fielding through the "love you, love your show" phone calls that take up the entire break. For example, the jock could say "Did you hear about such and such news story? What do you think? Text me at blah blah blah.... One article was saying that its wrong..." and then they can jump back with "one guy texting in says that It's a Great Idea... thanks 1342" saying the last four of their phone number is their own silent shoutout, and it could keep the show flowing better, if the response is quick enough

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom