• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Oldies on 1400 in Jackson

I was listening to WJQS 1400 Music of Your Life this afternoon and a Doris Day song was playing. I stopped for a bite to eat and when I got back in my car around 6PM I heard oldies from the 50's 60's and 70's. New moniker is "Oldies 1400" Music seemed to have more energy than the snooze fest thats going on over at 105.1. Only listened for a short time because I lose the station at night when I'm at the house, so I can't really give an honest opinion yet. Not sure about the shopping show. I doubt that goes away since they get lots of advertisments because of that.

I guess they will go back to putting the station on auto pilot and not selling any commercials. They were running a surprisingly lot of local ads on that station.

Probably nothing. I once owned a station in Mobile that was known as Lite Rock continuously for 7 years. Another station started saying Lite Rock; my lawyer had a brief conversation with them, then advised me that I had no basis for asking them to stop.

Knowing Clear Channel though...maybe the Oldies name isn't trademarked like Kiss is. They forced a suburban Chicago station to stop using the Kiss name before CC signed on their Kiss station in the Windy City.

the golden boy said:
Knowing Clear Channel though...they forced a suburban Chicago station to stop using the Kiss name before CC signed on their Kiss station in the Windy City. Maybe Oldies isn't a trademarked name, given how many stations nationally use it.

"Oldies" probably is NOT trademarked. But, even if it were, there is surely a defense -- that the mark is generic. In such a suit, the Plaintiff would not just lose the suit, he would likely also lose his mark. I suspect "Lite Rock" is much the same (despite the abhorrent spelling).

There are some Arbitron issues. Those, however, will be less of a concern with PPM.

DE

DeadElvis said:
"Oldies" probably is NOT trademarked. But, even if it were, there is surely a defense -- that the mark is generic. In such a suit, the Plaintiff would not just lose the suit, he would likely also lose his mark. I suspect "Lite Rock" is much the same (despite the abhorrent spelling).

There are some Arbitron issues. Those, however, will be less of a concern with PPM.

DE
The People meter has a ways to go till it gets to Jackson. Who knows what station names we'll have in town by then.

I've listened to some of 1400, but I must say I like it better than Oldies 105.1. They don't play the same tired ten songs either. Not quite as deep as WYAB's former oldies format, but impressive enough.

Too bad you don't hear some fast talking disk jockeys and some classic jingles on AM radio anymore unless its canned.

flytrap said:
I was listening to WJQS 1400 Music of Your Life this afternoon and a Doris Day song was playing. I stopped for a bite to eat and when I got back in my car around 6PM I heard oldies from the 50's 60's and 70's. New moniker is "Oldies 1400" Music seemed to have more energy than the snooze fest thats going on over at 105.1. Only listened for a short time because I lose the station at night when I'm at the house, so I can't really give an honest opinion yet. Not sure about the shopping show. I doubt that goes away since they get lots of advertisments because of that.

Snooze Fest? Not hardly. :eek:

Good little station with, sadly, limited coverage-especially at night. Q105.1 plays alotta Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks leaving off essential artists like DC5, Elvis, real Four Seasons, Tommy Roe, Crystals, Ronettes and the like. I was tols those are classified as "moldy oldies" and do not merit airplay..?? Ahh consultants!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom